INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Podcast Management + Marking As Read  (Read 2029 times)

tony_cluedo

• Recent member
Podcast Management + Marking As Read
« on: August 30, 2011, 06:04:49 am »

I have used iTunes for managing Podcasts but my iPod has given up the ghost so I thought I try and use J River and my android phone instead.

Is there any way of adding rules to the views? I'd prefer if Podcasts didn't show up with the rest of my music. I would have one view for music and one for Podcasts. Can views have rules added like 'Genre does/does not contain Podcast' or am I going to have to set up a smart playlist to achieve this?

Secondly, I want to import all my saved podcasts from iTunes into JRiver. Is there any way to mark them all as read? In iTunes you can just right click and mark as played. I can't see the same feature in JRiver.

Cheers

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Podcast Management + Marking As Read
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 10:40:19 am »

Several of us have created our own Downloaded Streams/Podcasts audio views to better organize how we want to view via panes our downloaded audio files.

Here's an example of how it might look, and the basic rules you can use to filter files in the Audio section.

Not the OR rule with the ( and ) surrounding the Rules.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

tony_cluedo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 07:02:59 pm »

Here's where I'm at now.

I've used some of the regular podcasts I listen to. I've set them up to download with genre as Podcast. I've then edited the tag properties on each individual feed.

I've then customized a view.  Set rules for file display was under Advanced and I missed it. I set it to Genre Is Podcast and called that view Podcast.

To my music view I set a rule that Genre Is Not Podcast. That keeps my music and Podcasts separate.

I then set up a smart playlist with these rules

([Genre Is Podcast / Number Of Play <1]) (Podcast Name) (Podcast Name)

There's some podcasts I want permanently on my phone. Others i just want the latest episode. The rule above lets me do that.

What I'd like to know now is if J River will sync both ways. If I listen to a Podcast on my phone will the playcount in J River go to one when I connect the phone and it syncs. This would rule that podcast out of the smart playlist and it would be deleted off the phone.

If J River doesn't do this I'll have to remember what I've listened to and play it in JRiver.  I've found if I play the last few seconds of the podcast the play count will go to 1.

It would be really great if you could edit the play count manually. You could highlight a batch of files and change the tag property to 1. A bit like iTunes, right click and mark as played.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 07:06:43 pm »

It would be really great if you could edit the play count manually. You could highlight a batch of files and change the tag property to 1. A bit like iTunes, right click and mark as played.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Changing_the_number_of_plays

tony_cluedo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 07:28:39 pm »

Excellent!

Last thing I need to know is if J River will see a track has been played on the phone and update it's play count accordingly? Or will I have to manually do this?

MrC

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 07:33:46 pm »

Sorry, I didn't answer this part of the question, as I don't know if it will update on sync.  Maybe someone will chime in...

tony_cluedo

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 07:49:49 pm »

I've encountered another problem where the audio podcasts got put in the folder I assigned but the video podcasts where put in an existing folder Video instead. As I had checked delete files on handheld not in sync it deleted a couple of videos already on the phone i had shot with the phone's camcorder.

Can you add some rules so that this won't happen?

While I'm asking, I'm going to create another playlist for music. I've seen some converting options. I've everything stored in FLAC on desktop. mp3 would be fine for phone. When syncing the phone will Jukebox convert the file and store an mp3 only on the phone or will it store it also on my desktop?
Pages: [1]   Go Up