INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Migrate Media 16 to another PC  (Read 3084 times)

chew.isaac

• Recent member
Migrate Media 16 to another PC
« on: September 07, 2011, 02:54:09 am »

Hi,

I am migrating all my audio and videos from my current laptop to a new laptop with a different name. I am using MC16.

I use instructions provided by this link http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55112.0.

I followed all the instructions meticulously but still run into problems. One thing missed out from the instruction in the link is that it did not take into consideration the thumbnails. Backup and restore library function in MC16 does not seem to copy the thumbnails.

Does any know have a new set of migration steps for MC16 or is the link the best we have got? I don't want to start listing out my problems as that would be kind of confusing. If we have a more recent set of instructions for MC16 PC migration, I will figure out from there.

Thank you!

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Migrate Media 16 to another PC
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 02:59:55 am »

I believe that if you just copy the entire jriver folder from your windows user profile to the new computer everything will transfer.

In Windows 7 c:\users\YOURACCOUNT\appdata\roaming\jriver

chew.isaac

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 03:47:51 am »

Yes, I agree with you. The steps could be the following:

1) Install J river in new PC.
2) Copy the media files to new PC.
2) Copy the jriver folder in the appdata\roaming\jriver folder in c drive
3) do the regedit commands
4) start MC, and then fix the links using find and replace.

This is basically the same steps taught by Glynor on 7th Dec 2009 in the link I attached in the last post. The only diff is that we copy the entire jriver folder over to the new computer.

I am redoing everything in a while's time. Really hope it works this time!

chew.isaac

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 06:06:27 am »

Ok. The steps are correct. I got it done. Thank God it is successful!

Why I failed the first time is because I did not realised auto-import is switched to on every time you start MC16. You can switch it off. Close the program,  start it again and auto-import will be turned on. It is very important to turn off auto-import in a migration as you are likely to have files you wish to migrate from c drive to c drive and you don't want auto-import to mess up your links before you can "find and replace" them manually.

One thing to note is that in "find and replace" to correct the links, look at all your audio or video files under "Files" option. Sort by "Filename" column. In this way, you can gather all the files in the same directory and then "Find and replace" them to the correct directory.

it is probably a piece of cake for expert users. For novice like me who does it like only one time in years, it is quite unnerving.

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 06:46:09 am »

The normal way would be to back up library and settings, shut down MC, move files, install MC and restore backup. But then you'll have to rebuild thumbnails as you say. For most people, this is less job than doing it the other way though. Unless you have LOTS of media, and don't have the time to run it for some hours while doing other stuff.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 06:48:34 am »

I believe that if you just copy the entire jriver folder from your windows user profile to the new computer everything will transfer.

In Windows 7 c:\users\YOURACCOUNT\appdata\roaming\jriver
Risky.  Here's the wiki article:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files

chew.isaac

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 09:55:08 am »

It was a major migration for me. I basically shifted all my audio files (200 albums), and dozens of ripped dvds (I own all of them) from one laptop to another. I wanted everything to remain the same in the new laptop.

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 02:57:09 pm »

So "small" collections would have taken minutes to rebuild thumbnails :) Better to do it like I described next time I think. Less risky.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up