INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Windows cannot access the specified path, file or device. You may not have the  (Read 2261 times)

mmatches1

• Recent member

This is my second crack at some trouble shooting on this issue.  The program worked for approximatly 1 month and then the above messsage appreared.  My system consists of the following:

Windows XP
AVG Antivirus and Fire Wall
Desk top Computer with two hard drives - over one terrabite of storage
2 gig of ram
D-Link DIR-412 Mobile Wireless Router - the problem may have happened after this device was installed but am not sure.

Please help if you can.  I tried uninstalling the program, dowloading the most recent version and installing it and nothing seems to work.  Tried changing the permissions but couldn't get anywhere.  

This is not the first time this has happened to this program and I am surprised that there isn't an easy fix.  

Cheers,  Doug

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

I don't know the answer, but try uninstalling and removing the registry entries when you do.  Reboot.  Reinstall the version from the download page.

mmatches1

• Recent member

I will give it a go.  Thanks,   Doug

mmatches1

• Recent member

Tried deleting the registry and reinstalled the current version and it didn't work.  However, I got this message:

Media Center 16 is running but ther may be a problem.  Possible causes:

1) The program is also running a different user account

Checked the user accounts in windows and there is only one - me and I am the administrator

2) Media Center 16 and Media server are both in windows start up.  Remove one. 

Not sure how to do this but I deleted the Media Server - didn't work

3) Program did not respond for some unknown reason

Sure hope this isn't the case.   
Any other ideas?  Cheers,  Doug

JimH

• Administrator

By "deleting the registry", I hope you mean you chose to remove the registry entries during uninstall.

Check MC's startup options to tell MC to start "nothing", but MC should stop it anyway.  Is another user from another PC connected to Library Server?

When you get that message, check the Task Manager to see what's running.

This may turn out to be a "security" program of some kind.  Try installing on another PC, just as a test.

mmatches1

• Recent member

Will give it a go when I get home tonight.  Thank you

mmatches1

• Recent member

Tried right clicking on the application and hit run as and there is a box below the current user that says the following:

"Protect my computer from unauthorized program activity"  There is an option to take the check mark out of the box or leave it in.  I take the check mark out and the come up with the same error message. When I go back to "run as" the box is checked again.  There is a message below the "Protect my computer from unauthorized program activity" line that says the following:

This option can prevent computer viruses from harming you computer or personal date, but selecting it may cause the program to function improperly

I also tried checking the task manager when the error messasge comes up and there is only one user - me. 

JimH

• Administrator

Tried right clicking on the application and hit run as and there is a box below the current user that says the following:

"Protect my computer from unauthorized program activity"  There is an option to take the check mark out of the box or leave it in.  I take the check mark out and the come up with the same error message. When I go back to "run as" the box is checked again.  There is a message below the "Protect my computer from unauthorized program activity" line that says the following:

This option can prevent computer viruses from harming you computer or personal date, but selecting it may cause the program to function improperly

I also tried checking the task manager when the error messasge comes up and there is only one user - me. 

Try uninstalling the software that is doing this.  That appears to be the problem.

mmatches1

• Recent member

I discovered last night that my computer has been infected with a virus not detected by AVG and that is probably causing the trouble.  Time for a reformat!  Thank you to everyone that helped.  Cheers,  Doug
Pages: [1]   Go Up