INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: renaming pix files sequencially  (Read 1164 times)

analogman

• Recent member
  • Raybestos Cardinals
renaming pix files sequencially
« on: September 18, 2011, 11:10:14 pm »

Is it possible to rename 100 pictures within an album using a "global" parameter instead of having to rewrite each one individually?  For example I have a picture album called High School Baseball in which there are 100 individual pix (now using the cameras import nomenclature)that I would like to rename HSB01,HSB02, HSB03 etc, etc.?  Is Media Center capable of renaming all the pix within the album using a single command or function?
If so can you tell me the steps or point me to the proper help file?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: renaming pix files sequencially
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 01:35:52 am »

You can do this using the counter and padnumber functions. Where you use them depends upon whether you want to simply change the "Name" field within Media Center, or change the actual filename on disk. Steps for both outlined below, using "HSB001, HSB002 etc. as there are 100 files.

Change the name field within Media Center only:
  • Select your 100 files
  • Open the 'Tag' window in the lower left corner of Media Center
  • Notice that the "Name" field shows "[Varies]"
  • Click in this Name field to edit it and enter all the brown text ---> =HSBpadnumber(counter(1),3)
  • Press enter to apply the change, then check the results. If something has not worked as expected, press ctrl+z to undo the previous step and tell us what went wrong.
Change the filename field on disk, and update Media Center if desired:
  • Select your 100 files
  • Open the 'Tag' window in the lower left corner of Media Center
  • If the "Filename (name)" field is not visible, right click in the tag window and choose this field from the list under "Also show..."
  • Notice that the "Filename (Name)" field shows "[Varies]"
  • Click in this field to edit it and enter all the brown text ---> =HSBpadnumber(counter(1),3).[file type]
  • Press enter to apply the change, then check the results. If something has not worked as expected, press ctrl+z to undo the previous step and tell us what went wrong.
  • If you now wish to update the "Name" field within Media Center, use the "Fill properties from filename" library tool. Leave "Directories" unticked, and enter [name] in the filename field.

If you do not want the number padded to three figures, simply change the "3" to a "2".
More information regarding counter() and padnumber(), along with usage scenarios can be found on the expression page on the wiki

-marko
Pages: [1]   Go Up