INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Damaged Photoshop Data?  (Read 2536 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Damaged Photoshop Data?
« on: September 29, 2011, 03:01:53 am »

Possibly related to the "Lightroom" thread...

I'm currently going through my entire photo library, cropping images to fit nicely on our TV screen. All of the RAW in Lightroom were a breeze to do, and I'm now working my way through the older 'jpg only' files, which MC manages exclusively, using the "Send a copy" feature of the "Send to external" tool.

Many, many files, when opening in photoshop, are producing the error shown in the attached file. These photos have only ever been in MC. I'm guessing that there may be an issue with their xmp tags, written by MC? but don't know enough about these things.

An example file (4.76 Mb) can be downloaded from ---> Here, if it helps.

-marko

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
Re: Damaged Photoshop Data?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:01:26 pm »

I've been seeing a few of these lately (also been processing a lot of jpgs in photoshop via Send To External). When this happens I do lossless Left and then Right image rotation and this fixes the file...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 06:08:13 pm »

It would be nice to have a file that works and one that doesn't.

Or a single file before and after it's been corrected.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 12:06:31 pm »

So, the sample file I provided above contains the "damaged" photoshop data. This one (579 Kb) contains the same file, after editing and saving in photoshop, it no longer presents the "damaged data" warning.

-marko

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 01:49:45 pm »

I took the "bad" file linked above, rotated it left then right with Media Center, and did a binary compare between the download and the rotated copy.  They were bit-for-bit identical, so I don't see how this could fix anything.

The edited one is so much smaller it's tough to compare them.

I'm not sure where to go next.  Do you have one that you rotate left then right and there are binary differences?  Is it possible the file is just locked and the photoshop error is wrong?  What if you copy a bad file to a new spot and open that?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 03:19:47 pm »

Hi Matt,
In my case, I had a few of those damaged files. I don't really know how to reproduce this. I was playing with different tools, including Lightroom, Adobe Bridge, ACDSee and Geo Tagger.
Anyway, I took a liberty of taking Marko's file and applying my fix to it.
The original file does produce an error when opened with photoshop. If I open it with ACDSee - there's no error. Then, I losslessly rotate it right and then left in ACDSee. This fixes the error in PS. The resulting file is slightly smaller in size.
See attached zipfile.
--max

I took the "bad" file linked above, rotated it left then right with Media Center, and did a binary compare between the download and the rotated copy.  They were bit-for-bit identical, so I don't see how this could fix anything.

The edited one is so much smaller it's tough to compare them.

I'm not sure where to go next.  Do you have one that you rotate left then right and there are binary differences?  Is it possible the file is just locked and the photoshop error is wrong?  What if you copy a bad file to a new spot and open that?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 03:47:42 pm »

I think the error message means just the Adobe xmp metadata. Could it be possible that Photoshop does not always like the changed tag area after MC has applied its own tags?

marko, you provided the "after" and "even more after" files. You did not provide the original "before" file. It might be useful to inspect just the tag area in a hex editor to see how MC has changed it.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 03:55:55 pm »

I believe, the file linked in the first post is the original

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 04:30:31 pm »

So, the sample file I provided above contains the "damaged" photoshop data...
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 01:09:23 am »

Alex, I'm a subscriber to your theory regarding the xmp tags, as I mentioned in my first post. The original file won't be original now, as MC will have applied an xmp tag to it already. It is original in the sense that it has been taken off the camera, and never been edited aside from adding keywords using MC. I was kind of hoping that the two xmp blocks, ie., the one before photoshop saved it and the one after, would show up the problem with the xmp data MC had written, if indeed, that was the problem in the first place.

As can be seen in the <MJMD> block, the last time the tag was written, was by 16.0.141.

On a side note, and I've not had time to properly investigate this yet, but I've shared all of my photos, "read only" with a test machine I've installed MC 17 onto, and I cannot get the photos imported... MC 17 keeps crashing and I don't know why... The crash is of the "Media Center has encountered an error and needs to close" variety, and there's nothing conclusive in the MC log files. I'll start a new thread if this turns out to be unrelated.

-marko

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 02:40:01 am »

OK, I've not worked out what it is yet, but it would appear to be something in the IPTC block that's triggering the photoshop warning.

I used XnView to remove a tag block at a time from a copy of the image above, starting with xmp, and the error persisted until the IPTC block got removed.

If I then update tags from library, an IPTC block is written by MC, and there's no complaint when subsequently opening in photoshop. Note that simply running "update tags from library" on the 'bad' file does not fix it.

Also, I'm working backwards in time here, cropping (copies of) images to better fit my TV screen and saving gigs of HDD space into the bargain. I have not encountered this error for a while now, leading me to believe that perhaps there was a period where the tags were not being written out correctly, and that that is now fixed? I don't know.

I did a quick google search on the error message + IPTC and found this in the digital machanic forums...
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?&topic=3725.msg16890#msg16890
For now if you check the preference to "Add Photoshop resolution to Camera JPEGs during IPTC update" (the default) then you won't encounter this problem.
?

I've also taken a new photo straight off this Fuji camera (which incidentally, is the worst I've ever owned!) and tagged it using MC, applying the same keywords and photographer as the 'bad' file above. MC then writes an IPTC tag block, and the image opens in photoshop without a problem, suggesting to me that the problem is an historical one.

Using MC 16.0.180 to change the keywords on the 'bad' file example, updates the IPTC data, and the error goes away.

That'll do for me going forwards. If anyone still wants to chase this one, let me know if you want anything else tested.

-marko.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 06:50:43 am »

Thanks for the details, Mark.
Pages: [1]   Go Up