INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: srt subtitles are shown in gibrish  (Read 19886 times)

moriyus

• Recent member
srt subtitles are shown in gibrish
« on: October 09, 2011, 05:46:45 pm »

Hello!
I bought JRiver primarily for music (flac,wav etc...)and it sounds great! an unbelievable upgrade from windows media player!!!
But I am having a few troubles (maybe beginner issues):
1)The English srt subtitles work great but the Hebrew srt subtitles are shown in gibberish.
   I have the `directvobsub` program and the Hebrew srt subs work fine in windows media player.
   The JRiver is set to red October HQ & the default subs are set to Hebrew. During the  movie, I tried to press the right button of the mouse , and choosing manually the Hebrew subs but it is still showing gibberish. I need help on that.
2)music library issue- for example:I riped an album (discs) with various artists on the same album (disc). In the library (in albums) it shows 12 pictures of the same album (with one song in every album-) instead of one picture of the album (disc) with 12 songs. how can i consolidate 12 picture. how do I consolidate the same 12 albums to one picture?
3)I bought JRiver on  the 5 of October and the license was for version 17. but it downloaded version 16.
    my computer is running windows 7 64bit. maybe version 17 can`t run on 64bit.

I will appreciate your help on that.
Thanks in advance
Mor

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: srt subtitles are shown in gibrish
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 05:56:03 pm »

1)The English srt subtitles work great but the Hebrew srt subtitles are shown in gibberish.
   I have the `directvobsub` program and the Hebrew srt subs work fine in windows media player.
   The JRiver is set to red October HQ & the default subs are set to Hebrew. During the  movie, I tried to press the right button of the mouse , and choosing manually the Hebrew subs but it is still showing gibberish. I need help on that.
I can't help with this bit. Maybe a screenshot of the subs would help debug, I don't know.
2)music library issue- for example:I riped an album (discs) with various artists on the same album (disc). In the library (in albums) it shows 12 pictures of the same album (with one song in every album-) instead of one picture of the album (disc) with 12 songs. how can i consolidate 12 picture. how do I consolidate the same 12 albums to one picture?
Select all the files that should belong to the album, go to the Tag menu (bottom left) , make sure 'album artist' has the same value for all 12 files (if it is a compilation then either 'Various' or 'Multiple artists' will do) and the files have the same tag for 'album'. They should then be grouped together as 'one' album.
3)I bought JRiver on  the 5 of October and the license was for version 17. but it downloaded version 16.
    my computer is running windows 7 64bit. maybe version 17 can`t run on 64bit.

This just means that you will get a free upgrade to the next version when it is released. 16 is the current latest (public) version. Lucky you!

SBR

moriyus

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 08:15:45 pm »

Thanks for the swift reply Sandy B Ridge.
Its nice to be lucky once in a few years! I will be happy to upgrade when version 17 comes out.
Your `Tagging` explanation is clear and simple. I haven`t tried it yet but I am sure it would work.

I will be happy if someone can help solve the Hebrew srt subtitles gibberish problem (or maybe version 17 will solve it).
any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Mor

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 10:17:08 pm »

Please email a sample Hebrew SRT that shows the problem to matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 09:02:55 am »

Thanks for the email.  I've replied with screenshots for MC vs other programs.  For me, they all show the same text from the SRT.  Which for example contains text like this:

00:03:38,928 --> 00:03:41,597
לא נראה לך שישאלו
?אותנו כיצד הם מתו

From what I can tell, this is just regular ANSI text (not UTF-8).

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 04:28:06 pm »

I think I understand now.

You use an ANSI code page other than Hebrew for the system, but the SRT file assumes a Hebrew code page.

Media Center always assumes that ANSI SRT files will use the same code page as your system.  We might make this configurable in the future.

Until then, just convert your SRT files to UTF-8 (or UTF-16).  This is easy with Notepad++.  Load the SRT, pick Encoding > Hebrew, then pick Encoding > Convert to UTF-8, then save.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 07:31:49 pm »

[Posting reply from email here so in case it might help others]

Hi, With your help, I am starting to understand the problem. I downloaded the
notepad++ program, followed your instructions and saved the new file as text (txt),
next to the movie file in the same folder as usual.The results are:1)Windows media
player (with `directvobsub`) recognized the new text (txt) file and the hebrew
subtitles (with srt/txt ending or without).2)JRiver media center (with hebrew set to
default) diden`t recognise the new text file at all. The new file did not exist in
the subtitles menu  (I tried to press the right button of the mouse during the movie
and choose the file (as srt/txt or without) but I didn't see any file to choose
from). Before the conversion JRiver identified the srt file itself but as gibberish.
My steps to convert the file were:1)Opened the original srt file, copy and paste it
on the notepadd++.2)pressed on the `encode` tab - the circle was automaticly on
encode in ANSI - than I chose Hebrew (windows-1255 & not OEM or ISO).3)pressed on
the `encode` tab again- than chose convert to UTF-8 and saved as Text.4)I tried
different endings for the file e.g. srt, txt or without but JRiver did not recognize
the new file (only recognized the original gibberish srt file). Maybe I am doing the
procedure wrong? maybe I should save the file not in text form but in a different
one?Can you try this procedure and see if that works? I have attached the original
srt file and the converted new text file. please check if it works and if I have
done things right (JRiver recognize the srt file as gibberish but not the new
converted text file). Thanks for your help,Mor

It looks like your new file has two srt extensions:
cbgb-alicewonderland1080.srt.srt

Try this instead:
cbgb-alicewonderland1080.srt

A little more on sidecar naming here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=65418.0

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 07:36:01 pm »

Again from email:
Hi Matt, Please ignore my last email. I tried your notepad++ solution again. And it
worked like a charm!!!:)I even learned from the procces. This time I used the
notepadd++ toolbar to open the original srt file (not copy paste to notepaad++as
before), than did the encoding+conversion procedure and than saved the file from the
notepad++ toolbar save icon. This time it saved the converted file, automatically,
as `srt` with Hebrew UTF-8 (In the first attempt I opened the `File` tab and than
saved as text; I didn't have the option to save as srt).   Now everything is working
great: music with the wasapi-event style output, live shows & movies with hebrew
subtitles. This is What I call: "The perfect media center". If you can fix the
conversion step in your next version of JRiver it would be great. It would probably
help allot of future users. Thanks again for your time,Mor

Using UTF-8 is good because it'll always work without having to set a code page.  I'm actually surprised to see ANSI files floating around, because who cares about the extra 10 KB to store it in a way that will always work?

Regardless, glad to hear you got it working.

moriyus

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 08:03:11 pm »

Hi Matt,

I agree with every word you wrote!
But, for some reason, there seems to be allot of ANSI srt files in English, Hebrew etc..
maybe there are other benefits that I am not aware-of, or these srt files are from older programs? I am really not a computer expert.

Thanks again for your time & for solving this annoying ANSI problem,
Mor

GalNoam

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 11:06:25 am »

Hi
if vobsub is working for you
you can use RQ with additional filters and choose vobsub as 1
than the sub language can be controlled from vobsub
I myself do not experience this problems with Hebrew subs.

moriyus

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 05:52:36 am »

Hi,
Thanks for the help.
I download the subs from toreq.net or sratim.co.il, and the srt subtitles files are encoded as ANSI, and not UTF-8 (as Matt explained).

I assume that by `RQ` you mean: choose Red October HQ with additional filters, than choose `vobsub` from the new Tab at the buttom of the page (decoders,renderers & more).  But there is no `Vobsub` filter option (JRiver version is 16.0.179). There is an option to choose a new `playback method`. One of them is  `windows media player engine` but than it`s not the quality sound of JRiver. Maybe I am missing something in your explanation? and there is another way of adding this vobsub filter.   

Happy holiday
Mor
Pages: [1]   Go Up