INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC image modification, Folders.jpg and strange scaled resolutions.  (Read 1171 times)

Zardoz2293

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Beyond...

I'm new to the FLAC file format and just started using it. All image (covers) were originally added as 300 x 300 jpgs. I have set in Media Center store image in file. I don't know if the image is actually stored inside the file or not, but for each album the Folder.jpg exists, which is a surprise as each song states "Inside File". I'm confused. There is no Folder.jpg for my prior ripped MP3 files. In reviewing all of the attached images, specifically the Folders.jpg stored in each folder, they range from 600 x 600, 500 x 500, 480 x 472, etc. I don't have a concern about the image being up-converted to 600 x 600 (not sure why the up-conversion), but I'm vexed as to why most are in odd formats such as 480 x 472, when all were originally 300 x 300. All the original images were processed in Photoshop CS5 using the exact same procedure. For clarification, the images were attached to the album and then ripped in FLAC. My questions are:

(1) Is the image stored in the FLAC file or not? If so, why is the Folders.jpg being created in each album folder when this isn't done for MP3s? (all things being equal)

(2) Why the up-conversion?

(3) Why are the modifications to the images not equally scaled (480 x 472) rather than (480 x 480)?

(4) If the up-conversion occurs why aren't they all the same resolution (ie., 600 x 600)?

I understand that the above might be trivial, but it is odd behavior and it should be consistent.

Thanks for the feedback, analysis, references, and the education I'm expecting to get!
---
Media Center 16.0.179.0

Updated: Resolved.

#1) A: Image stored in FLAC. The Folders.jpg is created if image is attached before the album is ripped.
#2) A: No conversion. Image was downloaded from Internet and Folders.jpg is overwriting image file added manually using "Add From File..."
#3) A: [See #2 Above]
#4) A: [See #2 Above]

If image downloaded from the Internet is performed with Folders.jpg in the album folder and thereafter you perform "Add From File..." to update the image the new image can be replaced later without knowing since the Folders.jpg still exists. I'm not sure what process is occurring that updates the stored image to the Folders.jpg. Any ideas other than the guy behind the keyboard?  ;)
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (Build 7601) [64-bit]
    Asus Sabertooth X58, i7-980X @4.1GHz, 24GB @PC3-14400

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: FLAC image modification, Folders.jpg and strange scaled resolutions.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 10:02:25 am »

Any ideas other than the guy behind the keyboard?  ;)

I avoid all cover art activities via MC and do it all manually. Here's how I do it....

1. Rip the album to a designated local folder (not the MC library) with NO art added, downloaded or implyed. (I use dbPowerAmp for all rips)
2. Go to www.AlbumArtExchange.com and get a good high quality scan of said album ripped in #1
3. Open/edit/size and save item downloaded in #2 via Photoshop. I use a standard 500x500 for ALL my art
4. Open MC and using Explorer under the Drives & Devices tree item - navigate to your rip
5. Use MC to tag the album and use the Cover Art->Add From File item (Right click) to add the cover art.
6. When album is fully tagged - use Windows Explorer to move the now tagged album to it's proper library location
7. Initiate a manual import in MC to bring the album into the library
8. Enjoy.

Of course their are many other ways to do this - but I prefer to do most of the prep work (rips, cover art etc) all OUTSIDE of MC and then use MC to manually set everything in for the tagging stage (cover art, tags and replay gain).

Then I take a copy of the final files to my master archive and move the files out to the library (On my Windows Home Server here).

Yes - it can take time but I am very particular about my metadata and tagging efforts and ESPEICALLY my cover art. So I take the extra steps and time to get it exact the first time.

Cheers,

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up