INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album View: Version 1.0.2 is now available  (Read 3651 times)

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
Album View: Version 1.0.2 is now available
« on: May 22, 2002, 10:44:38 pm »

Here you go:

http://www.zippy.eclipse.co.uk/mjav/av1.exe

And here's the changelog since 1.0.0:

Fixed issue where artwork scanning was broken on some sites.
Fixed issue where internal images were broken
Fixed issue wher "stop" button was being ignored in step 4 of scanning
Added ability to exclude artists/albums via a file.  The file contains the artist on one line and the album on another.   Wildcards are supported. Use ; before an artist as a comment.

People have been asking for me to create a persistant database.

Well I can put in a *temporary* one very quickly (i.e. just dump out my internal cross-reference tables) **BUT** if you make any additions/deletions/modifications to your MJ database it will totally screw up my links and all sorts of wierd things will happen, e.g. albums will contain the wrong tracks or names are wrong, etc.   Also this will not have any affect on images ... this will just be purely missing out on the MJ database scan.

You want me to put it in?

nila

RE:Album View: Version 1.0.2 is now available
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2002, 11:21:14 pm »

Yeah!! Next Page
I want it.

How about this though - U just store the info for the albums themselves. Any time any album's details are actually needed, these are fetched from the MJ database.
Albums probably aren't changed that often whereas individual song details might be and I'd imagine that fetching 10 songs details from the MJ library is a pretty quick task.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2002, 11:48:41 pm »

Nila,

That's the reason why the details may become out of sync because I will be back referencing the existing MJ database.

Remember MJ doesn't really have a concept of an album as an entity ... it's all track based with a field called "Album"

nila

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2002, 12:07:12 am »

Which country you from Rhino? I presumed you were american but if your up at this time of the morning then I'm guessing your not as it's now ridiculasly early in america.

Here's an idea I had.
Firstly - I think your db should not be used so much to store all the same info as MJ as this could cause inconsistency problems but instead it's main purpose should be to store aditional info eg: Album Rating, top 10 albums, etc etc.
And for the sync problem I was thinking, you could store the info from MJ and then every time AV is loaded, you could check the recently imported playlist to see if anything new has been added and if so then add this to AV too.

Also, I know there are no such thing's as 'Albums' but for the plugin you create them so use this definition of an album to just store the album info.
Then like if you hover over an album in over screen - there's a lagg before the tool tip turns up, use this lagg period to re-read all the info for that 'album'.
For the album details screen, if an album is to be shown, refresh all the info for it from MJ.
That way the album details will be updated fairly frequently.
For the track Details and Reports obviously no specific album is being dealt with so this isn't possible so there might be some inconsistency there but hopefully if the info is being updated any time any album is chosen in any of the other screens this will be minor.

You know how you added 'Genre' as well, could this also be added to Album Details so there would be a: Genre/Artist/Album?

Also, for the images I had an idea.
Before you were caching them and it was making the memory usage go huge. I was thinking, if you resize and change the quality of the images so that they're all thumbnails the same size as that specified, then change the quality factor to say 70 so you have tons of jpeg thumbnails. These should each probably work out to be around 10kb or less. If all these were then stored in memory, it'd take 100 albums to take up 1meg of memory so it wouldn't be too bad. This would give you speed and control over the size of the memory usage as you'd know how big each album cover was and you'd know how many albums there were.
Some of my album images are like 300kb so if u were trying to cache these that would be why the memory usage would be so high.

I'm not sure how you implemented the image caching but what'd you think? Would this work?

Nice work as always Next Page
Nila

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2002, 12:48:11 am »

Nila,

I live in England but I'm from Scotland.

Also this DB won't store MJ's stuff ... that's why it can get out of sync!

Here's how it currently works (in simplistic terms)

1)  I perform an MJ search which gives me all your tracks ... each track has an index within the MJ list returned to me.
2)  I create a collection of track entries that contains the index back to the MJ list along with other bits I need (e.g. thumbnail cache index).
3)  I sort the list by album/type/track number
4)  For every unique album/type entry I create an entry in the albums collection that (amongst other things) contains a collection of track id's
5)  For every album I check to see if exists in the artists collection, if it doesn't exist then I add it, then I add the album index to the artist's albums collection.

So what I am going to do is after the scanning phase write out my collections to a file.

Then when you restart MJ I will perform a search and reload my collections.   If you haven't make any MJ database changes then everything will be fine as the returned sequence should be (in theory) the same.   If they have changed, e.g. you have deleted a track, then the whole DB will probably become out of sync since the track id's I expect for an album will have shifted and I will be looking at the wrong entries.   Of course I will put in a check to see if the track count I expect is the same as returned but this will not cater for the situation where you have deleted then added a track.   Note I put in a request to Matt/Nikolay ages ago to have the facility to be notified of database events which would definately help in this situation.

Re the Genre/Artist/Album ... I'll think about it but it's a bit of work and it will slow down loading.

Finally I am going to do image caching totally differently.

As the second part of the persistand DB thing I will be creating the thumbnails during the DB scan (as per the current size definition) and write them out to a file.   Then when you load up MJ it will transfer the file to an ImageList and internally use that ImageList to display the pictures.   Then if you want different sized thumbnails all I will have to do it regenerate the file.   But where it displays the track details window if the album details screen I will have to always go back to the source ... but what I will do now is that double-clicking on the image (where it currently toggles size to fit) I will just call the associated file's external viewer.

Marra

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2002, 12:53:52 am »

Rhino

Images all fine - keep up the fantastic work.
I'm having difficulty following all of the current discussion but I had a thought about album ratings. They could be calculated as follows :
If 3 or more songs from one album are rated then album rating is the average of these ratings. After all an album is only as good as its' songs. No need to save album specific rating.

nila

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2002, 01:09:16 am »

Thanks for the info Rhino,
Nice to have an idea how it works Next Page
Where abouts in Scotland are you from? My mum's from Edinburgh originally, I live down in London though.

I have a feeling Matt or Nickolay might just be waiting till the final v8 is out. Seeing as they're doing RC's right now that probably wont be that long away now.
Once they have a stable v8 out then their marketting department can get to work selling it and they can start playing and adding new features. They hopefully will then add the feature you requested. With any luck they'll also possibly give you full access to the file Properties window so tags can be modified directly from AV without you having to navigate the MJ tree.

As for your image solution, it sounds like it's gonna work. I think the main basic problem originally was just using the original images people had stored for the thumbnails. As these images could be any size at all it meant huge memory usage. As long as your controlling the size of the images and keeping them small I dont think memory usage will be such a big problem.

As always, lemme know if u need anything tested Next Page

And Marra,
Although having this maybe as an initial way to set the rating values of the albums I personally would like the ability to modify it once the individual values had been set per album.
The reason being that although an album is only as good as it's individual songs, my song ratings are rather limited as I only have values from 1-5. Also, each song is done relative to each other and as I have a large collection, nothing gets a 5 unless it's a new song that I'm really into just so I can find new songs I like alot easily. With albums however I might have old albums that I like a lot but that dont have all their songs as 5 because I dont want them turning up in my list of songs that I'm into at the moment. The album as a whole though might be great and I'd want to be able to have it as a 5.
Also, sometimes the full album is all it's pieces and more. Like a ferrari for instance, it's pieces are well made, but the car is sooooo much more than just a big collection of pieces. It's gorgeous by the way all the pieces fit with each other.

By having it seperate it would allow you to have them set automatically when it's scanned which would be what you wanted but also be able to give me and any other geeks the ability to change them if we wanted. Everyone would therefore be happy.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2002, 01:21:39 am »

Nila,

I was born in Glasgow then my parents moved to Livingston (just outside of Edinburgh) when I was little.

Re the album ratings these will be a totally independant value to MJ.   This will also be the same as the last played field I will be adding.   As soon as you play a *single* track from an album this field will be updated ... along with the play count.   Note that these fields will be in a separate database to my main MJ scanned one so they will be preserved over a scan.

Then I will be adding "Everything By Rating", "Everything By PlayCount" and "Everything By LastPlayed" screens to the overview screen and update the thumbnails to show this information as well.

Boy do I have a lot of work still to do Next Page

nila

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2002, 01:35:14 am »

Yeah, I know that feeling.
I started making a website for me and my friends just so we could all keep in touch as many of my friends live in the states and it started simple, it's just been getting more and more complex though with more and more features.
I got a ton of work to do on it now.
Guess it prooves what a geek I am cause I actually enjoy doing it Next Page.

Regarding the Album rating, I'm glad your keeping it separate but it definitely might be a good idea to get the initial rating from the songs themselves as everyone will otherwise have to enter a value for each one and for people who've already done this it's a lot of effort.
You could get the average by doing the mean value but I think more fair would be to do it by getting the most commonly occuring rating so if most of the songs in the album are a 4 then use this as the initial rating for the album.
You could possibly not integrate it like this but make a button that does this separately called: 'Get Album ratings from Song ratings'. By taking it out of the initial scan like this you would prevent everything from happening on the initial load and stop that load becoming tooo long.

Edinburgh rocks. I still have my grandparents up there along with all my Uncles so I go up quite a lot. It's such a nice old town. Gotta love it.
Tons to do and so much history.

Ilmar

• World Citizen
  • JOATYou mean besides music?
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2002, 05:05:54 am »

Hi

Release 1.0 onwards is excellent. I would echo the need for a separte database though! It takes about 15 mins to scan 24,000 files on my fileserver!

I am now able to tell at a glance which albums are missing coverart (I store mine in their individual album directories as cover.jpg) where before I needed to troll endlessly through 1500 directories to check them. Great tool!

Can I suggest a facility to open the source directory (as is available on MJ: Locate>file>on disk) so you can get to the artwork directly to edit or rename in windows?

Ilmar
Ilmar

"We make a living by what we get,
But we make a life by what we give"
     Sir WInston Churchill

shelly

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2002, 05:13:21 am »

Rhino,

It's looking great!!! Thanks so much for all the work you've put into this for us.

The only problem I can see at this time, is that when I'm in the Overview view and viewing all album covers (923 qualified), it's only displaying albums A-N, with thumbnails sized to default. When the thumbnails are sized to 200 x 200, AV displays A-B.  Does this have to do with the following from the readme file?

"6.  Known Issues
----------------

There is only one that I know of and that's a VB limitation:

-  Not all thumbnails are viewable if you have a large number of albums and are using
      > small thumb images (picturebox limited to 16384 pixels in height)"

What qualifies as "large number"? What qualifies as a "small image"?

Shelly

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2002, 05:42:13 am »

Ilmar:

Yes I can do that but it will have to be on a per track basis as it's quite feasable that you can have tracks from different physical locations all under the same album name ... unlikely I know but I recon someone out there will have this situation so I'd better cope with it Next Page

Shelly:

That may be the answer.   The easiest way to tell is to increase the image size slightly and see if anything gets cut off at the bottom of the page.

The terms "small" and "large" reflect how big you you have made the thumbnails (by default 100x100 pixels for the image plus 75 for the caption height plus a few more pixels for the margin).   So the larger you make them the less you can fit into 16384.   To quantify this further say your thumbnail is 200 pixels high ... that means that you can fit 80 thumbnails vertically with 1 thumbnail per row.   Now since I fit as many thumbnails as I can horizontally (without getting a horizontal scrollbar as I hate them) the number of overall thumbs you can fit will increase.   So if you can fit 6 horizontally the maximum you can see is 6*80=480.

That's why the index tab is at the bottom to help aleviate this issue ... but I am hoping to replace the control with a listview so then the issue will dissappear ... but that's a few weeks Next Page

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2002, 11:05:33 am »

Friends,

I have quickly uploaded 1.0.3 which contains:

Removed "size to fit" option as now all images in album detals automatically size to fit.
Added right mouse item on album details track listing pane so you can go to a track's directory
Added right mouse item on album details track details pane so you can go to a track's directory, the currently viewed image's directory or view the image externally.
Double clicking on an image in the album details track details pane will view the image externally.

I am now going to start on the persistant DB ... wish me luck Next Page

nila

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2002, 02:05:44 pm »

Good luck!! Next Page

shelly

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2002, 02:33:00 pm »

It's working nicely, Rhino.  Best of luck!!

dick

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2002, 05:58:24 pm »

Rhino,

1.0.3 is working well. No memory warnings. This is a fabulous addition to MJ. Thanks so much.

One thing I find slightly annoying: in the Album Details view, under Artist/Album, when you click on the artist name and one or more album titles under that artist exceed the length of the pane, AV automatically scrolls to the right. This is annoying because when I want to go back to scanning artist names, I have to grab the scroll bar and pull the pane over to the left. Note that when you expand the artist's albums using "|PLS|", this doesn't happen. Of course, the album covers aren't displayed when expand the artist (which is good.) I'd prefer not to have the automatic right scroll when clicking on the artist name (I'm fine with manual scrolling to view long album names), but others may feel differently about this.

Dick Green

shelly

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2002, 06:08:46 pm »

I agree completely Dick.  I was just playing with sizing of the windows to see if I could change the behavior of the scrollbar, as I could only see the track length.  With that exception, this version is wonderful.  Thanks again, Rhino.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2002, 10:25:22 pm »

Dick/Shelly,

I'll see if I can fix it for the next version.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2002, 10:29:30 pm »

Well that was an easy one ... it's fixed Next Page

shelly

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2002, 05:54:08 am »

Thanks Rhino, for fixing it so fast. I absolutely love AV!

nila

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2002, 11:09:58 am »

So you workin on ur own db now then Rhino for AV?
If so, how's it comin?

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2002, 11:28:45 am »

It's coming along pretty well.

I have got writing out done and the database is tiny.   I have over 3000 tracks which equates to nearly 300 albums and 50 artists and the database is 200k.

Over the weekend I will work on reading in and the data fixup stage which I am hoping will be almost instantaneous due to the small size of the DB ... but I am also considering implementing the thumbnail pre-processing while I do all this work so I don't expect anything previewable till next week.

On the downside the creation of the database will be slower than a current scan as I am going to do as much work as I can at this stage to make AV as fast as possible during "normal" use.

By the way have you seen that AV is on the featured plugins page on J River's site ... http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/downloads/plugins.pl

Next Page

dragyn

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2002, 01:50:09 pm »

I mentioned in the RC thread that your status bar is skinned in XP but it's not using the right font color. It's also not using the mega-me skinned status colors. Not sure if you have any control over that or not. MJ (283) isn't skinning the status bar in the main window.

What do you know about it?

nila

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2002, 03:08:26 pm »

Glad to hear it.
If u make it alot faster I'll definitely love that.
As for the sync problem, I'm not too bothered. I just wanna listen to my music and I'm not usually THAT bothered if some of the track info is a tiny bit off.
Maybe one idea is to have a pop up alert that reminds us to re-sync ever X days where we can set the size of X.
This would just be useful so we dont forget to update for a while and it gets too badly out of sync.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2002, 10:17:30 pm »

Dragyn,

All of the controls created within AV are just standard VB ones and should conform to normal XP manifest rules.   I don't think MJ can handle skinning of VB controls as I switched on skinning support and my app stayed the same colour (but the toolbar changed so I know it was enabled).   I will put forward a request for the exposure of the colours/fonts of the current skin so I can change my app accordingly.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2002, 04:03:59 am »

Really nice plug in Rhino...

Minor feature request... Is it possible to have the plug in remember the last state after closure / re-opening of MJ ?? Each time I come back to MJ its back to 'album details' album... I generally start at 'overview' 'all' and work from there is there a way to set a startup point ?? In relation this point can or should AV defaut to All / All rather than A / All when selecting Overview ??

Minor bug / oddity... I have found that having a mislabled album can create a record oddity... Ripped Vespertine by Bjork somehow CDDB gave me a record the album was by Bjork and another that it was by Bjo(with umlout)rk... In MJ tree I had both records under albums and both records under artists... With AV it makes the ablum a 'various artists' album... I have simply deleted one of the links so I only have one artist and it sorts itself out but its a minor oddity (hardly a bug though)...

Please dont take this as criticism... This is a really great plug in and it massively improves the GUI of MJ for a user like me who is primarily an album listener rather than a song listener..
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2002, 04:06:23 am »

BTW do you know youve blown your bandwidth on the jta-ltd site ?
HTPC Front ends  

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2002, 04:16:27 am »

PhatPhreddy,

Yeah I know I've blown it ... I was hosting one of the original xbox hack vids for a m8 and I used up 24gb in one day Next Page   But now that AV's on MJ's site everyone will be able to get it now Next Page

I'll look into your startup point issue when I get V2 out (which I am hoping will be the end of next week).   V2 contains the persistant database stuff (so it doesn't have to rescan every time it starts up) as well as a few other things.

Also re the Bjork issue AV is correct in it's assumption.   It presumes that since there is more than one artist in the album it's a compilation.   I suppose I could introduce a translation table to convert 8 bit to 7 bit but I hardly feel it's worth the effort.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2002, 04:43:54 am »

I can see exactly how the duplicate artist thing works out... Cool on the startup fix...

I look forward to seeing this evolve...
HTPC Front ends  

nila

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2002, 11:30:31 pm »

Hey Rhino,
Could you add a !year! option to the overview Thumbnail Captions.
I'd love to be able to see what year each album is from.
Thanks

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2002, 12:16:48 am »

Nila,

I'll do it later but if there is a year mismatch in the tracks for an album it will report "Various".

Also an update on V2 ... without the image processing in yet it takes just under a second to load/fixup my 50 artists, 268 albums and 3108 tracks ... which is quite good Next Page   Also to match MJ's capability I am allowing you to have multiple databases ... so for those who keep MJ databases, tracks and artwork on CDROM you can now keep your associated AV database(s) Next Page

nila

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2002, 03:01:58 pm »

That's pretty fast.
Good work.

As for showing Various for the year. I guess if people want to fill in the individual release dates of each song then maybe it'd make sense to have them all different but for most people I'd imagine they'd just give the albums tracks all the same date.
Maybe add year as a field to your db so people can set album year if they want to do each track separately.
But have an autofill in option whereby it gets the year from the first track of each album and fills this in automatically to begin with. Next Page

dragyn

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2002, 03:25:06 pm »

I have a request: Instead of listing A-Z in the overview tab, remove the tabs that don't have anything in them. Next Page

I've noticed in the pulldown arrows (like in overview), the menu jumps monitors. MJ does this too for it's toolbar so I'm thinking it's a MJ issue..or not?

This is looking really good though. Did you ever make that internal image extractor?

dragyn

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2002, 03:38:07 pm »

Also noticed that the option page doesn't remember where it was when you open it again.
And when playing an album in the overview tab, the tooltip won't work because MJ doesn't have focues (windowed mode, separate monitors).
Another request would be to hide the left tree in overview like how MJ hides its tree.

I didn't read the entire thread so if it's a repost, sorry

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2002, 10:52:54 pm »

Nila:

I've already implemented it and I'm just reading the year from the track ... if they are are all the same then it will report it, if they are all zero then it reports "Unknown" and if they are mixed then it reports "Various".

Dragyn:

I'll have a think about that one but the issue is that the tab is there to speed things up.   When you click on a letter the control call's it's parent asking for it to fill in the required albums meeting the X/Y values and sort according to album or artist.   If I was to precache/sort everything then everytime you went to the overview screen and when you changed say from "by artist" to "by album" then they will be a longer delay before you actually see anything on the screen.

It may be possible though (and it leads onto your other question) as there will no longer be any need for an image extractor as in V2 as I will be extracting/formatting all thumbnail images during my persistant database creation stage ... so everything should be zippy fast.

Re your menu issue ... I'm sorry but I have no idea what the problem is.   I just position the menu underneath the button.   It sounds like somone is altering the X/Y co-ordinates.

Re your point about the options screen not remembering where it left off ... I'll put it on my list but don't expect to see it for a while.

Re your question on thumbnail tooltips ... I'll look into it tonight ... having a quick scan of the code it should work as the timer kicks in irrespective of focus but maybe the MS tooltip control is "intelligently" preventing it.

Finally again I'll have a think about hiding the listview in the overview screen.   In theory it should be possible as I have modified the splitier code to do it (ala album details/sync mode) so it shouldn't be too hard to implement double-click to hide/show it.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2002, 01:33:19 pm »

An update for you.

The database reading/writing is finished.

At the moment my 3100 tracks produces a DB of 8.1mb now ... the "data" part is only 200k ... the pre-formatted images (all 135 of them) takes up the rest of the space (BMP format).   I am debating whether or not to convert the bitmaps to jpg before saving which should decrease the DB by quite a bit.

Loading time (including data fixups and loading the ImageList) is roughly 5 seconds ... but again it's the images which is the majority of that time.   I should be able to chop that in half by loading direct to memory and calling IPicture from there before loading into the imagelist.   I'll look at that tomorrow.

Also I have implemented Genre/Album into the album details treeview but I am still debating if it should be Genre/Artist/Album.

nila

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2002, 02:27:03 pm »

Here's two things for the thumbnails:

1. Will converting to jpeg slow down the speed that AV works at because if so they dont bother as speed should be the main focus.
2. 8Mb is not THAT much and I'm sure most people can spare it but obviously using less space is always good.

Speed should come first (when in use, not for the initial scan)
with Space coming second.

Glad to hear it's coming along good.
How's the speed doing??

Another feature I'd love to have added is the ability to right click on an album and choose to 'Send To'
as I just bought a GORGEOUS Alpine car CD player which supports mp3's and so I'd like to be able to right click on an album and send it to my CDRW device.
Not sure if it's possible though Next Page

Frank

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2002, 09:25:42 am »

I was wondering if you could alphabetize the Artists in the Overview sorted by letter thumbnail window.

Is there a way to extract the fullsize (non thumbnailed) album cover files from the MP3 files themselves so I can store them in my MediaJukebox\Data\Cover Art folder.  Right now I am forced to search for cover art entirely in the MP3 files becuase I have no cover art in my Cover Art folder.  This would save me about 2 weeks of time searching for all my cover art again.  I know you are now working on your own database that could make this issue a nonissue, but still i'm just wondering if it could be done.

I just read the entire thread, I love to see these things grow and evolve, this is really an amazing plugin, one that should be included in the final release of MediaJukebox.  I really appreciate your work on this.  You should put a link somewhere that will allow people to send you money.

Also, is version 2 released yet and I'm just not finding it?

Also, I'm not sure if this is a question to ask you guys, but you might know, which database does MediaJukebox use to find all of the cover art?  If I knew this I could tell them about some of the mismatches.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2002, 09:52:51 am »

Nila:

What I may do is just release the current BMP version and work on 2.1 which is the JPG version.
As I said in my last post it takes 5 seconds to load the DB and all the images on my machine ... but I am hoping to decrease that.   The build time is around 20 seconds.
As far as the "Send To" is concerned ... it should be easy to implement ... but remind me in a week or so when 2.0 is out.

Frank:

I have given alphabetizing a lot of thought and what I have decided is to allow you to override the artist name in my database.   For example when I create my DB I will store the artist name, e.g. "The Who", and provide you the facility to change this name to anything you like, e.g. "Who, The" without affecting MJ.   This will all be rolled into v2.1 which will also have the ability to set things like favourite artists and ranking.

Re the cover art extraction I will try and implement it in 2.0 (which I am hoping to alpha this weekend) but I'm not promising anything.   What I will do is allow you to select a bunch of files in the track details grid and implement the "Extract Images" menu item to the popup menu.

Thanks for the kind words on AV but I'm not doing it for the money ... what I would suggest though is follow the NSPCC link in the about box (the last icon on my toolbar).   If you click on their page their sponsers will donate money to a worthy cause.

Finally I don't know what algorithm MJ uses to get artwork.

Frank

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2002, 11:13:36 am »

Thanks for listening to me, and so quickly too.  I have clicked that link a few times, but I need to do it more.  Good luck on version 2.

nila

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2002, 11:43:50 am »

Hey Rhino,
Would it be possible to add a 'Newly Imported Albums' feature?
I'm not sure how your doing the db right now.
Is a new scan just dumping the old db and starting a new one or is it just finding new albums and adding them?
If it's adding them then I'd imagine a 'Newly Imported Album' tab would be pretty straight forward to add.
Let us set how many albums we want it to hold and allow us to delete albums from it (in case we for instance re-rip a cd and add it to MJ again with the new version so it gets added again and we dont want it in the list of 'new' albums).

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2002, 10:17:14 pm »

Nila,

It's a new scan every time.

Adding in a "Newly Added" (or to be more precise an update) feature may be something I consider at a later date.   To be honest though I believe it would take almost as long as a full scan since AV would have to scan the database and compare with what it currently has with what is there in the database including images.   So there would be no real gain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up