INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: .dff File playback  (Read 12658 times)

Rrroberts40

• Recent member
.dff File playback
« on: October 25, 2011, 12:05:13 pm »

Hello, a little new to J River on DSD playback but it seems I may not understand how this works, Using USB  Wasapi output to a Calyx dac which can do 24/192. When I play a .dff file a box pops up saying it can't play the 352k file and it wants to playback at 96k. I assume this engages the DSP to do the sample change and it will then play. Does this engage the DSP permanently at this point or will it revert back when I play a 24/96 or 24/176 or 24/192 PCM file? Plus why 96 instead of 192 or preferably a 176 sampling rate which my dac supports. Is there a setup somewhere I can do the downsampling of .dff files only and then true bit for any of the other files I play without going into options and resetting? Maybe you could post a short setup description so I can make this work? Thanks in advance Russ

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: .dff File playback
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 12:23:43 pm »

Welcome to Interact.

You can configure resampling in DSP Studio > Output Format.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Rrroberts40

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 01:20:29 pm »

Matt, thanks for the quick reply. I went into the DSP output mode and all I can pick is no resample-all sources-resample less the 44.1k and greater than 48k-resample less the 44.1k and greater than 96k-only sources less than 44.1k.
What I am looking for is resample greater than 192k only I think. I wish to keep the 192k and under bit perfect with no DSP engaged/used. Is this possible or do I just not understand how this works?
Thanks
Russ

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 01:31:38 pm »

It's not currently possible to say Resample "Only sources greater than 192 kHz".  Do you happen to know what the lowest supported sample rate is?  Maybe we could add a mode for your class of DAC.

We've also considered allowing picking an output sample rate for each input sample rate, but this is a bigger project.

Thanks.

Rrroberts40

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 01:52:14 pm »

Matt, the lowest sample rate it supports is 44.1 as far as I can tell from literature. The Calyx DAC had 2 chips, one supports the 44.1 to 176.4 family and the other handles the 48 thru 192 family. I believe it also supports 32 bit word length although I have not tested that. This is bound to be a very popular dac so supporting it would be good I think. Rumor has it that Calyx is working on 32/384 firmware and is in beta on it now. Any other ideas you might have to get the most out of this and you software would be great..I have quite a few .dff files and would prefer not converting them to pcm if possible.
Thanks again

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 01:54:12 pm »

In a coming build of Media Center 17:
NEW: DSP Studio > Output Format allows setting a different output sample rate for each input sample rate.

Rrroberts40

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 12:57:01 pm »

Matt I see that version 17 allows DSD playback bit perfect now...very nice. So in 17 if I set up 352k .dff to playback at 176k it would need to go thru the DSP but if I were to play say a 176k or 192k file that doesn't need resampling will it play those bit perfect and only engage the DSP on the 352k .dff file?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 12:59:13 pm »

Matt I see that version 17 allows DSD playback bit perfect now...very nice. So in 17 if I set up 352k .dff to playback at 176k it would need to go thru the DSP but if I were to play say a 176k or 192k file that doesn't need resampling will it play those bit perfect and only engage the DSP on the 352k .dff file?

Exactly.  You can specify a different output sample rate for each input sample rate.

This will be available in 17.0.27 (and newer).  It's at the top of this board.

Rrroberts40

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 10:25:00 am »

Matt, tested this new feature and it works great...just what I needed until the new rash of DSD DAC's come out. Thanks Russ
Pages: [1]   Go Up