INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please, Anyone: Can I listen to FLAC files on my Nano 4g? If so, HOW?  (Read 3612 times)

boulderskies

I've spent the last hour and a half researching various forums and support groups. We can put a man on the moon but can we access FLAC files (as is) on a NANO or can we not? If so, specifically how?

Thank you

windrockwater

• Recent member
Re: Please, Anyone: Can I listen to FLAC files on my Nano 4g? If so, HOW?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 06:02:08 pm »

I think you need to convert them to either Mp3 or ALAC (apple lossless). Sucks doesn't it?

boulderskies

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 02:55:20 pm »

Why yes, it does since the reason anyone uses FLAC is for the the higher resolution it offers. Why would I down-convert?

Interesting that no one from J River comments on this issue.....or when they do, it always involves plug-ins (which may or may not work) and down conversion from the higher resolution.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 02:59:21 pm »

Hmmm, according to Apple, the Nano supports:

Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV

How would JRiver be responsible for no FLAC support on a Nano?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

windrockwater

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 06:50:04 pm »

This is apples locked-down policy i think. Not Media Center. It seems the Media Center works very hard to do the best integration with Apple devices that they can considering the constraints that Apple puts forth. I also have an entire FLAC library. So I am also figuring out how to transfer (yes transcode). So far I am trying transcoding to Apple Lossless directly onto the Ipod. Seems to work well.  MC does create a 'cache' also. So yes you end up with essentially a second library on your PC. Although you can turn off caching.
Pages: [1]   Go Up