INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuttering playback  (Read 8567 times)

Dennis Graves

• Junior Woodchuck
Stuttering playback
« on: November 10, 2011, 02:10:00 pm »

When I click on a piece in JRiver to begin playing, I sometimes get a stuttering or stacato playback; when I hit stop and restart, the problem goes away and the piece plays fine.  What is the problem and how do I correct it?
Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Stuttering playback
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 02:11:25 pm »

You're probably hearing what's been left in the buffer of the sound device.  What are you playing to?  A USB DAC?

There are a couple of flush buffer options in MC's Audio settings.

Dennis Graves

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 11:38:37 am »

Jim,
I am playing to a Berkeley Audio Design USB Converter (connected to a Dell laptop computer via a Wireworld Platinum USB cord), which feeds via a Stealth Audio XLR digital link to a Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC. 
The stuttering problem occurs most often when I start a new piece, but also will occasionally occur in the middle of a piece that has been playing fine. Stopping and restarting solves the problem, but obviously I don't want to have to go through that -- want to listen through an entire piece.

From your comment, it sounds like this is a buffering issue.
Under Tools, Options, Settings, I have Prebuffering set to 6 seconds (as recommended).  Should that be changed???

Under Audio Output, WASAPI Settings, I will try checking "Flush device buffers on startup" and "Flush device buffers on "pause".  Also, I will change the Buffering from 1 second to 3 seconds.  The instructions say that increases the time for cross-fades and smooth-seeks to kick in.  I don't know what "cross-fades" and "smooth-seeks" are, but I would guess they are irrelevant to the music I play, which is classical pieces with multiple movements. 
Thanks.
Dennis

DarkPenguin

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 01:26:28 pm »

There are a couple of Audio... topics are on our wiki that might help.  This, for example:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

and one on DAC settings:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DAC_Settings

Check the mfr site to see if they have recommended settings.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 08:21:13 pm »

There are a couple of Audio... topics are on our wiki that might help.  This, for example:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

and one on DAC settings:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DAC_Settings

Check the mfr site to see if they have recommended settings.

You can add HRT Music Streamer II to your list of "Known to work with" devices.

bds3151

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 07:15:04 pm »

I have the video/audio stutter on a wireless network and have tried all the options on the forum to no avail. It is definitely a MC bug as I have Power DVD10 and it works fine on the same computer/network/server without any issues. I have the latest MC17 version.

pcstockton

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 08:49:39 pm »

cant say for sure but this sounds like a WASAPI issue to me.  Can you try ASIO?  Do you have a soundcard you can use to send music to the DAC with, i.e. bypass the USB/soundcard aspect of the DAC?  It is most likely one of the two.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

bds3151

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 01:22:14 pm »

I am using a usb DAC (Music Hall) with win 7. I tried ASIO and every other available selection. My Laptop also stutters with MC16 but Power DVD is clean.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 07:05:22 am »

I also get it from time to time using Direct Sound to PC speakers.  Have to stop and restart the track.  Only usually happens when the PC is very busy and upon track change.  Playback is staccato and stuttery.

Playback is from memory.

bds3151

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 01:01:31 pm »

I get it even when the CPU util. is low. Interesting that my laptop doesn't have the stutter, just the desktop.

bds3151

• Recent member
Re: Stuttering playback - Solved
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 10:13:32 am »

I fixed this by specifing to 60fps instead of 24 in video/display settings/film. JRiver was ok -my (Panasonic)TV was apparently not handling 24 FPS well and causing the stutter and lockups.
Pages: [1]   Go Up