INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8.0.394....Buggy, Bug, Crash.  (Read 2460 times)

Reckless

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
8.0.394....Buggy, Bug, Crash.
« on: February 28, 2003, 08:11:39 am »

Running MJ 8.0.394 (Licensed) under W2000Pro. This is one of the most buggy/crash-prone programs I've run in a very long time.

To be fair, I've installed and run on three separate W2000 machines. All have crashed on various occasions.... from simply exiting the (MJ) program to suddenly terminating my Windows session and forcing a reboot of the 'puter.

If I'm having this problem, I assume others are too. If so, I'd like to know before I knock myself out looking for a cause/solution.

If this is a known problem, is there a build after 8.0.394 that's known to be more stable?

Regards!
Reckless

Cmagic

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Enjoying life with a little music....
Re: 8.0.394....Buggy, Bug, Crash.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 08:40:17 am »

Hi reckless,

Quite Suprised ! I have ran MJ8 on various platforms (NT4, W2K, XP) and it's really stable. I'm currently using MC9 (beta) under both W2K-Pro(SP3) and XP(SP1) without a glitch.

I once had a problem with my machine @home that was in fact related to the video drivers (It was an Nvidia card) I updated to the last version and all went fine.

You can always try the latest build (wich is .396) but I don't think that it's the cause of your problems.

You said you tried on 3 different machines (W2K) do they share the same hardware configuration (CM, RAM, video, sound) ? Also what other programs do you run at  the same time ?

Maybe if you post your system info (Help/system info...) some folks will be able to help.

Let us know.

regards,

C.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Reckless

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2003, 09:01:13 am »

Thanks... &....Hummm. I really expected a different answer, along the line of "yeah, everyone has this problem."

With the exception of the operating system, the three machines I've used are of different hardware configurations. Two are on my business network, one is at home. This led me to believe it was a universal problem. Well then....

.....I'll have to document each instance before I enlist other's help with this.

Interestingly enough, the program locked up while writing this reply. It was accessing the server database for an album cover image (after finishing a rip on a cd), and apparently didn't like the fact that Internet Explorer was running at the same time. I'm on a broadband connection, so bandwidth isn't likely a problem.

Oh Well. It's a nice program. If I can get it to run dependably I'll be really pleased.

Regards!
Reckless  

Tuber

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2003, 05:52:57 am »

I don't think you're alone at all. MJ crashes quite a bit on my system too (Windows 98SE). Seems to be a pattern with older OS's.

-Tube

recklessabandon

• Recent member
  • I want to be able to replace all my home entertain stuff with my computerPESTmusic
IERe: 8.0.394....Buggy, Bug, Crash.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2003, 03:05:45 pm »

I've been running W2K pro, MJ 7/8 and using Emusic for close to 2 years now. Generally MJ works well. One problem they seem to have fixed is in the install area. They never used to clean up the registry and so new installations never fixed anything as the old keys wern't removed. You may have old junk left over from 7 or an early 8 causing problems. Ashampoo Uninstaller is a great product for tracking registry/file changes and it's helped me immensly. You can get a trial of this and compare a w2k reg with one that's never had MJ in it and see what you have going on.

my current mj "problem" is that whenever I click settings or something that will open another window, the new window is opened "under" the current window and MJ seems to be "hung". Alt+Tab finds the culprit when I remember.

I also have re-occuring problems with download manager not being able to access internet temp files. Resetting securities on the file has "fixed it". Other times turning off the IE search opt seems to have "fixed it". Other, other times a un-stall/in-stall seems to have "fixed it". From the later I noticed a Netscape key making Mjextman.exe trusted. Dunno what this does as I don't use netscape! I also have noted mjextman.exe will sometimes get installed in the MJ folder and sometimes in Winnt\system32. The latter may be better as that's where it is now on my sys and it's working.

It seems the cheaper the program, the better it works. Ashampoo was $9.99 when I got it and it ROCKS.

doug
further

Reckless

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2003, 05:15:46 am »

Hey Doug- Thanks for all your input! I'll try cleaning up the registry and reinstalling... for starters.

I can virtually count on the program hanging if, after ripping a CD, I don't close the little box that appears saying the rip is complete before putting another CD in the drawer. And as you mentioned, anytime the program calls on the internet, watch out.

Since I purchased this program, I've given my CTRL-ALT-DEL buttons such a workout, they're starting to fade. I'd junk it except it does all of the things I need it to do... that is, when it's working!

-Les

Reckless

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2003, 05:15:50 am »

Hey Doug- Thanks for all your input! I'll try cleaning up the registry and reinstalling... for starters.

I can virtually count on the program hanging if, after ripping a CD, I don't close the little box that appears saying the rip is complete before putting another CD in the drawer. And as you mentioned, anytime the program calls on the internet, watch out.

Since I purchased this program, I've given my CTRL-ALT-DEL buttons such a workout, they're starting to fade. I'd junk it except it does all of the things I need it to do... that is, when it's working!

-Les

thegoldbug

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2003, 07:48:08 am »

Hi,  I'm running version 8.0.393 (free download) and it is exteremly buggy (on a Win NT sp6 ).  

It locks up for no apparent reason and I can cause it to freeze (and often time freeze my whole system requiring a reboot) simply by pausing a song in my playlist and leaving it paused for a couple minutes.  When I click on play again the program hangs.

NT typically has trouble even killing the program when using End Task.  

I like a lot of things about the program and am willing to spend the money to buy "A" music program but I can't see spending the money for one that crashes / locks up several times per day.

I see posts about newer versions 8.0.396 but why when I click on upgrade it tells me there are no newer versions?

Also the CD burner part is flakey.  The program told me I should turn off the autostart/play for my CD burner as it can cause problems so I did.  Over  the course of several weeks and many failed attempts to be able to burn a cd I figured I should try it with it turn on.  Sure enough, I'm  able to burn cds now but the program still tells me I should turn it back off as it might cause problems.

Another problem I'm having (my PC is a P3 - 667 Mhz with 384mb ram) is that when ever I'm playing a song and I start looking around in my media library the music stops for oh 3 to 5 seconds and then resumes playing.  Very annoying.  My pc is plenty fast enough for playing cds.

Rusty

• Recent member
  • Seek & Ye Shall Find ...
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2003, 03:08:02 pm »

Gidday Guys - No you're definitely not alone with MJ crashing, or not working properly. I had heaps of trouble & all I ever got back was "No it's not MJ - it's your machine, or it's this or that ... but never MJ!

I think it's got great potential & does almost everything I want, except allow me to make volume levelled compilations of volume variable MP3's & other music files.

My only suggestions are to:

1) Be specific with detailing your problem/s & always post your "SYSTEM INFO" see this heading button under the "HELP" button in MJ.

2) Think about upgrading your operating system to say XP ... I had heaps of trouble when I was under 98SE ... and was virtually forced (because of MJ) to upgrade, now it's a lot better but still not perfect.

3) Make sure you have the latest download of the program, we all probably even have to go to MC (Media Centre) in the hope of solving our problems ... If it's yet safe to do so.

It seems a pity that all effort has now gone to MC & left MJ not as bug free as it should be for a PAID FOR item.

What would've been wrong with one super product that actually worked for everyone - all the time.  Rusty.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2003, 03:21:37 pm »

There are lots of reasons for "lockups" that don't involve MJ.  Try disabling all other running software.  Try updating your OS from IE/Tools/Windows update.  Try updating drivers.  More memory may help.  The list is endless.

Post your system info from MJ Help.  Provide details about sound card, video card, any plug-ins you run, and so on.

Win98 can be a problem.  Win98 SE is a little better.  WinXP is a lot better.

Mysticeti

• World Citizen
  • music, SCUBA, movies, VR, multimedia, PCs
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2003, 12:18:50 pm »

I can virtually count on the program hanging if, after ripping a CD, I don't close the little box that appears saying the rip is complete before putting another CD in the drawer.

Yes, I've had this problem and I eventually trained myself and my wife not to do that.  (as in "Doctor, it hurts when I do this.")

As of late I've found a certain lack of enthusiasm on J River's part w/r/t bug hunting.  You can tell them a bug reproduces on three different machines and they'll tell you that doesn't prove it's their problem rather than put any real effort into helping you find the cause.

Admittedly, it very well may not be their problem but too often the burden of proof is 100% on the customer.  Maybe if I had source code I could debug I could deal with that but I don't.

Should I just be happy I have a forum to report bugs in?  Probably not, when reporting bugs doesn't have any effect (and in fact your told, in effect, it's your own fault).   Maybe I should just count my blessings that I get to debug countless beta releases for J River?  Maybe I can console myself that I "only" paid $25 for this software?  You get what you pay for, right?

I loved MJ version 7 under Win98.   Version 8 has been a bit of a disappointment for me due to quality problems even after upgrading to WinXP.   I'm hoping MC 9 is a fair bit better and the upgrade is flawless (none of this try uninstall, reinstall, try reinstall windows crap).  Hopefully the version 9 install will know how to clean up any turds from previous versions that can cause problems.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,804997,00.asp

PC Magazine's review of jukeboxes even mentioned glitches when using MJ 8.

Some technically savvy people have the know how and the patience to work around the glitches they encounter using MJ but I suspect a fair amount simply frown and move on to the next jukebox vendor.
"And the men who hold high places. Must be the ones who start... to mold a new reality. Closer to the Heart."

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2003, 12:22:48 pm »

And MusicMatch and RealOne crashed to a blue screen when TechTV tested them.  WMP and MJ ran fine.

Crashes are hard to find.  We chase those where there is a pattern.

We spend about 50% of our time chasing bugs.  Sorry if you feel otherwise.

Mysticeti

• World Citizen
  • music, SCUBA, movies, VR, multimedia, PCs
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2003, 05:35:26 pm »

Jim, I'm wasn't looking for an apology.

BTW, do you recall the last time you expressed dissatisfaction with a product or service and was told "we're sorry you feel that way?".
"And the men who hold high places. Must be the ones who start... to mold a new reality. Closer to the Heart."
Pages: [1]   Go Up