INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ConvolverVST plugin problems, plugin related or change from 16 to 17?  (Read 2832 times)

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe

After converting to MC17 I have experienced something odd with ConvolverVST DSP plugin. This plugin requires config file input, pointing to a filter matching sample rate and room correction preferene. I have solved this by always using the same config file in ConvolverVST, but I replace the file contents for different soure material (external batch copy/paste). In MC15 and 16, the config file was read everytime playback started. Or so it seemed, because I have never seen any problems.

In 17, it seems that the config file for some reason is remembered, even if MC is shut down and restarted. This causes problems when filter change is needed, e.g. when switching from e.g. 44.1/16 stereo material to 48/24 5.1 movies.

Are there any differences in 17 that could be the cause of difference in behaviour?
Or could it be because MC16 is still installed?

Trumpetguy

Re: ConvolverVST problem in 17
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 11:19:11 am »

I believe this must be a MC problem, not a Convolver plugin problem. Even if I uncheck the plugin I get the same error. And even if I leave Convolver unchecked and restarts MC, it is loaded and prompts with an error message.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 11:23:23 am »

In MC16, a filter update sometimes requires playback stop/start, but more often full restart of MC. I can live with that. In MC17, multiple restarts do not help.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 03:52:08 pm »

Sorry, but I can't think of any changes that could explain this.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

perpetual98

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 08:35:08 pm »

Unrelated, but my brain for the life of me cannot read the title for this thread and not think it says "controversial"  :)

Trumpetguy

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 03:15:42 am »

Unrelated, but my brain for the life of me cannot read the title for this thread and not think it says "controversial"  :)

Looking at it twice, I see that, so I changed the title. Is it better now?

Trumpetguy

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 03:17:47 am »

Sorry, but I can't think of any changes that could explain this.

Me neither. The plugin is not in development, and was left somewhat unfinished in 2006. I won't bug you more about this, as there seems to be workarounds. But behaviour did change from 16 to 17, and it bugs me not to understand what and why...  ::)

Trumpetguy

Re: ConvolverVST plugin problems, plugin related or change from 16 to 17?
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 05:09:59 pm »

I have investigated some, and found some correlations. To recap, I have specific DSP settings and filter configured in ConvolverVST for different zones. I then use zones to switch between media sources, like music 16/44.1, music 24/96, movie 24/48 etc.

The goal is to have ConvolverVST load a different filter file for each zone.

It seems that this works as long as the network option "Use Media network to share this library and enable DLNA" is not enabled. With DLNA enabled, MC refuses to load a new filter file when switching zone. Even if I manually load the correct file and the plugin reports it as the filter file in use, it is obviously not loaded into the signal chain. I can tell because the errors appearing fits with the "old" file being used. Doing a lot of MC and Media Server restarts, and  switching the plugin on and off eventually makes the new file being loaded.

I have not fully figured out if starting the Media Server also causes this problem, but it seems not. The problem is not 100% repeatable.

Not sure if this is a new or old problem, but nevertheless a bit frustrating. Is there any obvious reason for this? Can it be fixed?

BradC

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 05:27:54 pm »

On a related note, would it be possible to get a feature added in MC where it uses a different set of DSP studio settings depending on whether music, movies or Live TV are playing?

My motivation is that I would also like to use different convolver filters for each of these media types.

Brad

Trumpetguy

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 03:36:55 am »

That would be on my wishlist also, but so far zones seem to be a decent workaround.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 01:46:39 pm »

This is a bit frustrating. It seems arbitrary if the plugin filter file is made active (loaded to memory?) or not. One thing is clear - the filter file defined for each zone is lost as soon as I switch zone. Not every the time but almost.

I thought it had something to do with Media Server and/or DLNA enabled. It may or may not. It seems to help not to start Media Server, and the same for DLNA.

I can understand if you guys can not spend time on this problem, but I would be so really, really happy if you just checked it out. It may be of value for all JRiver users also using Audiolense room correction.

The plugin can be downloaded from http://convolver.sourceforge.net/

Maybe look at how third party plugins are loaded, added to signal graph or something. I am no software developer, and have no clue.

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 11:50:40 pm »

This weekend I am going to start-up my system that is totally dependent on the convolverVST plugin working as I need audiolense for my system to function.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 03:48:40 am »

Don't worry, when it works it works. My main problem is related to switching between filters.

Now it seems that the best way is to define only one filter file, and replace the contents of that file while MC is shut down. My simple system is to run a .bat file to copy the correct filter .cfg file into my Audiolense_Filter.cfg. I have a collection of those .bats on my desktop.

The strange thing is that in MC16 this was the solution that worked, while I started this thread because it actually didn't after swithing to MC17. Now it works in MC17....

The only reason I keep bugging you all with this in public is that it may be useful to some.
Pages: [1]   Go Up