INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting video formats?  (Read 960 times)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Converting video formats?
« on: December 12, 2011, 09:40:11 pm »

Is it possible to extend the "Convert Format…" tool to work with video formats too? Since DLNA conversion is now 'built-in' maybe that functionality could be exposed?

If it's already possible, any guidance will be appreciated...

brad

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Converting video formats?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:13:01 pm »

It isn't yet possible, though Jim (and others) at JRiver have said they'd "like to" do this in the future.

There is a nice conversion tool I'm playing with called MediaShrink that makes converting from a simple command line very easy.  I have a Right-Click Send-To External tool that sends a stacked copy of a source file to MediaShrink which converts it using profiles I've set up ahead of time and then replaces the source file when it is done.

The only thing that doesn't work is that MC doesn't see the new file come in as replacing the stacked file it originally sent.  This could be solved if you wrapped MediaShrink in an "executor" application that first had MC create a JRSidecar.xml file for the new copy (if one didn't already exist), then copied it with the destination file type modifications necessary for MC to see it and pick it up, and then forwarded the rest of the command line over to MediaShrink.

It probably wouldn't be too tough of a scripting challenge.  I'm just not sure if the MCC commands exposed by MC would be enough to say "I have this file path, spit out a JRSidecar.xml file for it with the accurate metadata on it."  Other than that, the slight modification you'd need to make to the JRSidecar.xml file itself would be simple in perl or something like that.

I haven't looked into it much yet though.

Since Sage is shut down, the people who developed MediaShrink might be interested if someone from JRiver contacted them, though...  Just a thought.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up