INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: General different DLNA problems with different devices  (Read 3476 times)

sakendrick

• Recent member
General different DLNA problems with different devices
« on: December 14, 2011, 08:24:34 am »

Hi there - I'm trialing JRiver and having some issues.  Overview of my setup
- Win7 PC in office that hosts music and video.  Most music is WMA, most video is MKV
- Connected Laptop, Panasonic Viera TV, Denon 2312CI AVR, and WD TV Live Hub

I had movies streaming to my TV through windows media player without a problem other than the MKVs that had DTS sound tracks.

Currently with my JRiver MC setup I have the following results
- Laptop can play movies and audio from the source PC no problem
- Denon and TV have no problem playing audio - using MC as a controller on my laptop to push music to my receiver works great!
- WD TV can't play anything... audio shows the files but when trying to play the screen just churns (wait cursor) - sometimes returns a message like "source is no longer available".  for movies it shows the files but will not play anything
- TV plays audio no problem for videos it says please wait, shows a media bar across the top with DLNA: moviename and the length of the movie beside the timeline but wont' play.  Just sits there.  For some files I get a weird full pink and blue pixelated screen, but still no playback.  

I tried setting video to convert all the time and MPEG2 High Definition, but still no playback.  I was playing back movies through windows media player before.

Looking for suggestions on how to get this work so I can give the trial a fair shake.

Thanks in advance,
scott

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
Re: General different DLNA problems with different devices
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 02:51:17 pm »

You are doing a lot of DLNA connection testing. To give MC a real spin I think you should try to connect your TV as a monitor to your PC and test how much you can get from the video rendering engine, Red October, in MC. When using MadVR and playing a full HD blueray film, even the best TV sets have a hard time delivering the same quality picture when they use their builtin video rendering engines.
You can test the audio as well connecting digitally to your receiver and explore the many features in the DSP in MC.

I have made a lot of DLNA experiments too, and had come to the conclusion that you got to have a full understanding of what the capabilities in the DLNA renderes are, because you have to configure one or more profiles in MC to take these limitations into account.
My TV does not support DLNA very well and the development of the firmware in the receiver has ended too. On the other hand MC not long ago got support for DLNA version 2.

I find that the HTPC approach gives the overall best compromise of the rich featureset in MC and I think that is a pity if you judge MC on its ability to control DLNA devices alone.

I wish you many happy hours listening to your music and watching videos and not least enjoying MC  ;).

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 03:00:06 pm »

From your other thread re: DLNA playback on your Panasonic Viera TC-P46X3 :

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68364.msg460791#msg460791

How long did you wait?  The conversion can take a little bit.  You can view Task Manager in Windows to see ffmpeg doing its job...

Your manual indicates your TV's compatible data format for its media player (SD card/USB flash memory)/DLNA

• SD-Video Files (SD-Video Standard Ver.1.3)
    Modified data with a PC may not be displayed correctly.
  • AVCHD Standard compatible files
    Modified data with a PC may not be displayed correctly.
  • MP4 files (Video codec H.264 | Audio codec MP3/AC-3/LPCM)
  • MKV files (Video codec H.264 | Audio codec MP3/AC-3/LPCM)
  • MPEG-2 PS files*
  • MPEG-2 TS files*

* For DLNA only.

And the FAQ from Panasonic indicates:

Q: What types of media content can be played back using DLNA, SD card or USB memory?
A: Certain JPEG, SD-Video, AVCHD, MP4 files, MKV files, MPEG-2 files, MP3 files, AAC files and LPCM files can be shared using the DLNA feature

The DLNA cert. requires MPEG2, but MPEG1, MPEG4, and WMV9 are optional.  So I think you can try MP4 (i.e. MPEG4 part 14) at various qualities in the video settings for MC's DLNA server.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 03:43:53 pm »

Much appreciate the response and info, but like I mentioned - I can play these same videos through DLNA to the same TV using windows media player as my sever on the PC. 

I waited about 10 minutes.  If it's going to take that long, then I'll go back to using media player, or will test out twonky.  I'd prefer to get this working as I otherwise find JRiver to perform better for audio.

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 03:52:49 pm »

Just to add to my response - I will try the other settings in the DLNA video serving as you suggest.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 04:01:42 pm »

No worries.  Just trying to help, and post as much useful data as possible to help figure out what's going on.  Maybe the DNLA gods at JRiver will be able to help more.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 09:03:01 pm »

so I've got the TV working like it was with windows media player.  I set it to Never Convert, and all the same files that played before, seem to play now. 

The WD TV Live hub still isn't working at all... I'll do so more searching and see what I can find.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 01:52:06 pm »

The Generic DLNA template should work fine for the WD,  pushing or pulling content.

Whenever you push content to a pushable device (DMR) the FIRST server in the DLNA servers list is used.
This can mean that the configuration of the first server which may be good for one device may not be good for another, especially in the case of some TV's (and BD Players) which require some of the advanced options to be set.

In general, many TV's (and BD players)  require DLNAExtra and some require the MPEG video override set (and the Video DLNA Override set to one of MPEG_PS, MPEG_PS_NTSC or MPEG_PS_PAL).
Pages: [1]   Go Up