INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: APE support in FFmpeg  (Read 2444 times)

thomaspf

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
APE support in FFmpeg
« on: December 17, 2011, 11:03:37 pm »

Hi,

this is a somewhat strange request but I wonder whether someone from JRiver could spend a bit of time updating the APE support in the FFmpeg tools.

Right now Monkey Audio support has really fallen behind. You can't even open 24 bit files. Since this library is also used by many portable music players this is becoming a limiting issue. At this point many other audio related programs also rely on FFmpeg to read and process a wide variety of audio files. I hit this problem with Spek which allows you to analyze the frequency content of your hires downloads. Unfortunately all of those are 24 bit ...

http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/452

Happy holidays

Thomas

h8maintenance

• Recent member
Re: APE support in FFmpeg
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 04:23:28 pm »

+1

I encounter stuttering with split APE tracks while the full CD version of the same disc does dot have this problem. And strangely, the same split tracks played in MC14 or MC15 do not have this problem, only in MC16 and MC17 with RO (HQ or standard, it does not make any difference).

I currently use MC17 build 155 with ROHQ, latest version as of May 18, 2012.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 04:30:54 pm »

JRiver uses the reference APE code, which is pretty mature at this point.

If you have a problem file, does it Verify with Monkey's Audio?

Is it possible it uses too high of a compression level for your machine?  There's no point using anything higher than 'High' compression, as the efficiency (size vs time) falls off drastically.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

h8maintenance

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 06:41:03 am »

Thank you Matt for your input. I'm sorry to have reported a problem. In fact, I somehow during some troubleshooting for another issue, unticked the option "use digital playback of audio CD", leading to the above mentioned problem with split .ape files playback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up