INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot delete Folder  (Read 1509 times)

locust

• Citizen of the Universe
Cannot delete Folder
« on: December 20, 2011, 11:46:12 am »

I don't know if MC is causing this or if it is windows..

For the music in my library, auto import has two designated folders to search for content. I have my library folder and a sort folder... I do this because i like to keep new stuff separate from my library until it is tagged properly.. Once tagged, I use rename, move & copy files to move them into my main library folder..

Sometimes but not always, there are some folders that are left over that I cannot delete using conventional means such as the delete key or going through the menus...

The only way I have been able to delete them is by going into cmd and navigating to the sort folder and entering the command "dir /x".. This then gives me the long and short name of the folder..

For instance a folder named "This is a folder" has a short name of  THISIS~1.. I then type ren THISIS~1 Somename and press enter.. Only by doing this will explorer allow me to delete the folders.

I can't understand what would be causing it.. It is quite rare but has happened quite a few times, always in the sort folder. This is why I think mc may be causing it..

Thanks

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: [Bug] Cannot delete Folder
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 11:49:39 am »

Are you using MC's explorer when this happens?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

locust

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 11:56:01 am »

No just the windows explorer

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 12:21:52 pm »

Ok, so keep this in mind, to see if you can reproduce/avoid.

If any process has the directory open (eg. its current working directory), then it is considered in use, and windows won't delete it.  Once all processes no longer have the directory in use, it can be deleted.

So it is probably that Explorer has the directory in use (open), and MC can't delete it.

Windows Exploder is notorious for not closing files and directories.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

locust

Re: Cannot delete Folder
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 12:35:30 pm »

Thanks MrC

I'll see if I can overcome this when it happens again keeping in mind what you said... Oh and one thing I should add is that folders remain un-deletable even after a system restart, so I am not sure if it is a process problem...

Overall I do like Windows 7 , stuff like this didn't happen as often with Xp, hopefully windows 8 will be better

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 01:39:19 pm »

Windows 7 is generally pretty good.  I've had few problems.

In my opinion, the complexity of using an OS of any kind has increased in recent years due to security threats.  UAC, for example, makes life more complicated, but also a little more secure.

locust

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 02:33:15 pm »

Windows 7 is generally pretty good.  I've had few problems.

me neither, I quite like it, vista was terrible.

Yeah definitely... I have an old laptop with vista on it it has small 30gb hard drive on it.. It used to be plenty of space when I first got it.. But now after service packs and countless hot fixes even with no extra programs installed of any of my data/documents/music/videos on it, it has no space for anything else and still gives a low disk space warning...

I wonder if service packs and hotfixes actually affect how smooth an operating system works because they definitely bloat the overall size of them..

I never liked UAC, turned it off from day one... Haven't had any problems so far not having it switched on..

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 11:16:06 pm »

I have the same problem as brian0001. I have a folder that cannot be deleted.
At one point it was one of my folders used for auto import and at one point I renamed it using MCs explorer.
The empty folder that cannot be deleted is named the same as my folder before renaming with MC.
I was doing some serious renaming and moving around so i cannot say exactly how or why this happened.
Could have nothing to do with MC for all i know. Ill try to repeat it if i have time in the next few days.

medvedik

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 03:35:55 pm »

I had the same problem. In the map were 2 sub-maps where originally the flac-files were of albums. I had to delete those first with all the content (left over album art, not used) before I could delete the map.
Pages: [1]   Go Up