INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View Schemes, kinda lost  (Read 2110 times)

Robert H

• Junior Woodchuck
View Schemes, kinda lost
« on: January 04, 2012, 06:56:19 pm »

A reply to a recent post of mine made reference to view settings that I could not duplicate.  So I though before I went any further I should go back and try to understand the view settings better.  I’m getting lost in the view scheme.  In part because the wiki does not seem to reflect MC16 (I think) and there is just enough difference to cause problems for me.
Referring to: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/View_Schemes
The image for Top Level View Schemes does not represent the layout in my installation (MC16).  But I’m assuming that the List or tree on the left side is the View Schemes; Now Playing, Audio, Images, Video, Performer Store etc.  True?
Further down the page, heading: “View Scheme View Settings”
“Any settings you select under Customize Current View will be automatically remembered for each individual View Scheme. However, these changes will also apply to the child View Schemes of a particular View Scheme, unless you set that particular child's Customize Current View settings individually. In other words, child View Schemes inherit their Customize Current View settings from their parent View Scheme, unless they have been separately individually configured.”
“To see this in action, select the top-level Audio View Scheme and enter Customize Current View (right-click in the top bar area above the Pane and choose Customize Current View, or go to View --> View Settings --> Customize Current View).”
I cannot “select the top-level Audio View Scheme”, normally (left click with mouse) . For instance if I have the child view “Artist” selected, and I click the parent “Audio” the highlight just jumps back to the child I had selected.  However, I did figure out that if I right click on Audio without left clicking I could get Audio to stay highlighted with the dropdown menu, cancel out of the menu and there I am in the audio parent view. But a rather odd way to get there I think…
So now that I worked around that I continued the instructions:
“In the Customize Current View dialog that appears, modify the Columns to Show in some way (add a few extra fields for example). Then click OK to close the dialog. Then, switch around to all of the Audio View Scheme's "children" and note that these changes are reflected in all of the children View Schemes automatically.”
I did this and when checking the child views the changes did not occur. This doesn’t really bother me as far as functionality. But I’m starting to feel like every time I try to figure out how to do something the instructions or functional descriptions are wrong.  I would like to avoid having to post a question on the forum every time I try to do something.  The forum search feature only works if I know the terms I’m looking for and frankly I’m not sure a “View Scheme” is even what I think it is.

Robert H

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: View Schemes, kinda lost
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 07:07:31 pm »

I noticed I really didn't ask a question. It started as a question and regret that it may have ended up to be just venting.
Is what I assumed was a view scheme the real thing?
where is the best place for me to read up on the view system for MC16?
Is there a known "super post" about this stuff?
Thanks
Robert

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 08:31:48 pm »

The info re: view customization is dated to be sure.

Start with this nice post.  The author mentions its update is on the To Do list.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52090.msg355419#msg355419

I owe the JRiver folks some Wiki updates.  Perhaps this would be a good topic to start with?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Robert H

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 06:11:16 am »

Thanks Again for your help MrC!  I read through it once and will be back at it when I get home this evening poking around in
MC some more.
But of course I thinks its a great Wiki topic! :)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 12:02:01 pm »

I'm half way through a v17 update as I type this :)

Edit: 05/01/2012 20:28
Out of time.. will be posted some time tomorrow morning

Robert H

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 07:08:26 pm »

I'm half way through a v17 update as I type this :)

Edit: 05/01/2012 20:28
Out of time.. will be posted some time tomorrow morning
Awesome!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 06:20:13 am »

Here you go... I might have got a bit too involved... see what you think...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68960.0

Robert H

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 07:33:47 am »

Outstanding! cleared up several questions and pointed out thinks I would not had found any time soon.  Good walkthrough...
Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up