INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move files from one folder to another  (Read 2100 times)

mrwul

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Move files from one folder to another
« on: January 08, 2012, 10:51:43 am »

Newbie question here.
So, I have all my clips / videos and YouTube stuff in the Media Center database.
When I click on Video in the left window tree (under Audo and Images, etc) they show up.
Also the folder and sub/sub folder where they are located show up, nicely.
Moving a video from one folder to another by just drag and drop seems to be 'prohibited' there.
(there may be an option with RMB, Rename/move, click, click... but that's all complex and taking
too much time)

Have to go down to Drives/Folders and select the explorer tree there. There I can drag/drop files.

However, whereas under Video at the top of the listing there are categories, like Genres, FileTypes, Years, ratings,
these are obviously missing under "Drives & Devices".

I donot know how to filter specific filetypes there. I'd like to filter non-video files that accidentally landed there
and move them to another folder, for example.

Now, I might also use Windows Explorer to do this, but I feel it should also be possible within MC ?

Any suggestions pls

Thanks!
=

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Move files from one folder to another
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 11:07:57 am »

Drives and Devices and Explorer is mainly used for moving files and renaming folders. The subsequent media will then be renamed and tagged properly. This can not be done in other Tree views, as you correctly point out.

What I would do is to right click a Tree type. Like video. Make another view, and then try with different settings there to show only relevant media types for instance. It's not very hard if you just get a hang of what each option do. When you have set up a view that includes the files you need, then you can add the File Location tag to the view, and sort on this. This will give you a good overview of misplaced file types in given directories.

After you've found the files that is misplaced, you can select them and use the Rename, Move and Copy tool to move them to another directory. Or manually move them under Drives and Devices if they are grouped up.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 02:52:15 pm »

I think the key point of confusion here is over the connection between the views at the top and the position of files on the hard drive. What you need to understand is that the files are not tied to the location on disk. That is a key. What shows up in the Video tree for instance has nothing to do with what is on disk. You can move files anywhere you want after import and it will not affect how they appear in MC.

The Video tree is generated based on the the tags only. During import MC may have figured out many of these based on file location, but after that it doesn't look to disk location at all. If you want to "move" them in the upper tree you have to change how they are "tagged". That applies even to files that don't support internal tagging "like AVI" as MC uses its database.

So to recap:
The explorer view shows the actual location on disk. The main views such as Video,Audio and Images are based on how the files are tagged.

mrwul

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 12:00:43 pm »

Thank you both!

Okay - understood the differences between 'Video' and -let's say- the 'actual Explorer tree' (i.e. the actual folders/subfolders on  harddisk).

Well, no problem, I'll go outside MC and use Explorer to easily find/delete the 'non-video'-files.
Guess that is the easiest and fastest way.

After that go to Library->Import->Configure Auto-Import->Select the rootfolder and Finish ?
(reimport everything)

Think Video thumbnails should then be re-built

==

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 01:58:54 pm »

I may be missing something, I read this quickly, but I don't think you want to do what you just said (delete the files in windows explorer).

I think I understand you saying that the view you were looking at showed non-video files, and you just don't want then in that view.

If that's correct, you just need/want to modify the view to eliminate the non-video files.  Set Media Type= Video, and that should do it.

If you just want to move the files, I would use MC for that also, with "Rename, Move & Copy" since this will keep all tags and historical information about the files in MC.

Also, using this method is WAAAYYYY faster than doing it outside of MC.

Using this method inside of MC, will actually move a 30 GB movie in a few seconds.  moving it outside of MC takes several minutes.

Sorry if I misunderstood.
pretend this is something funny

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 04:19:21 pm »

I'm a little confused now as well. Can you clarifiy this a bit:

I donot know how to filter specific filetypes there. I'd like to filter non-video files that accidentally landed there
and move them to another folder, for example.

Then I could probably better direct you to what needs to be done.

mrwul

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 12:25:47 pm »

Sorry for all the confusion.

As said: when I click on "Video" in the tree left, I see the thumbnails of all that is in the database.

Some files (when copying) accidentally landed in the wrong folders, together with videos and other 'viewable'files.
(so, let's say dll files, xls files, docx). I know they should not be there, the folders should only contain flv/avi/mp4 etc.

Now, when I am in 'Video' I might filter those non-viewable files there and may delete them there(or move them elsewhere),
but they won't be deleted from my harddisk.

I need to go to 'Drives & Devices' to down to the drive/folder/subfolder.

But in thát view, there obviously is no way to filter those files: contrary to 'Video' there is no filterbar at the top,
with 'Genre'-'File Types'-'Year'...etc.  So there is no 'quick' way to filter, let's say the dll and xls. Have been trying
to customize view, all I get is View As [File List] - did not get any further, so I dropped it.

However, I solved the issue in the meantime using Explorer.

So, with many thanks to all, I would suggest to close it.

I confess... still have to learn a lot about MC  ;)

Again thanks
=

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 01:46:32 pm »

I'm still a bit confused, but mainly because the main "Video" selection on the left, in the tree, should not show you anything but Videos [Media Type]=Video, so all the other types you mention should not be showing there.

So, either you've modified that in your efforts to resolve this, or I'm imagining something other than what you're doing.

My guess is that you right-clicked on Video in the tree, and removed the criteria [Media Type]=Video, and pointed it to a folder, which has non-video files (which is why you posted).

This is not the "correct" way to do it.

You've said you've got it handled, so I won't continue, but if this sounds like the case here, and you'd like more help, feel free to respond and we'll see if we can't help get you fixed up.

Also, no worries about
I confess... still have to learn a lot about MC
I've been using MC for a dozen years or so, and I can honestly say the same thing :)
pretend this is something funny

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 05:14:32 pm »

I've got to agree with JustinChase. I sounds to me like something is not correct in your setup and it would be a good idea to try to fix it (It's probably simple to do).

If you click on Video you are seeing non video files? If so something is not correct.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 11:45:22 pm »

mrwul, can you upload a library backup somewhere where we can download it and test it out?  If you don't have one, Dropbox is awesome and free and it gives you 2GB of online storage.  Anything you put in the Public folder gets a web link you can use for stuff like this.

That will probably be the easiest way to figure out what is going on.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mrwul

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 11:46:22 am »

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll try to get a snapshot in here to show what I mean of filtering in Explorer.

First part is the normal MC view
Bottom part is the view when selecting the folder on the harddisk.

Now there is no quick way to filter filetypes in the bottom part.

Secondly, I tried to create a kind of 'custom view' where I cud add a filter on filetypes, so that way I cud  then
quickly select/delete specific filetypes.

In this panel I thought I cud select fields, but obviously that is available under 'Video' only.

As said,  I solved the issue.

But the above was just to illustrate what meant (pls donot see this as criticism on MC whatsoever... ;)

==

MrHaugen

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 04:57:26 pm »

If you want customization, you HAVE to use views. Not the file explorer. It's not what is or should be used for. The Explorer is simply there to give you a as is image of the file and directory structure. It can be used to easily move files or folders around, or to rename things. MC will update tags based on this. There is very little else you can do with it.

You should try to make some video views and play with it. There is almost no limit as to what you can present, and in what way.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 05:13:04 pm »

Ya, the Explorer View is a "utility" application. It isn't meant for "browsing" your library but for organizing etc. If you click on "File Location" under "Video" you can browse videos without seeing the other files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up