INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Format to rip CD  (Read 24115 times)

nube

Best Format to rip CD
« on: January 10, 2012, 08:54:39 pm »

What is the best format to rip a cd using JRiver? I am referring to the quality of the sound. Disk Space is not an Issue.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Best Format to rip CD
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:00:53 pm »

Any lossless format such as APE or FLAC.  For the drive, set Copy Mode: Secure under Tools Options > CD, DVD, BD > CD Ripping.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 03:19:10 am »

By choosing the APE or FLAC formats, you also gets tagging capabilities as opposed to the WAV format which also is lossless.

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 05:03:21 am »

Yes, APE or FLAC are excellent, but takes up more disk space. I like mp3 VBR enconding target quality extreme.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 05:49:39 am »

There's only one format for me - Wav! Disk space is cheap so why not! I use dbpoweramp to rip my discs for 2 reasons. It has great tagging functionality, uses multiple databases to search for the tagging info and you can choose which one to use. It's saved me heaps of time in tagging for some esoteric CDs because one database or other will have the correct info. Also use it for AccurateRip to make sure the rip is 'bitperfect'.

Tagging Wav with dbpoweramp seems to work OK for me and all the tags are read fine by jriver.

SBR

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 06:51:47 am »

Any lossless format such as APE or FLAC.  For the drive, set Copy Mode: Secure under Tools Options > CD, DVD, BD > CD Ripping.
Good advice.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 11:59:26 am »

There's only one format for me - Wav! Disk space is cheap so why not! I use dbpoweramp to rip my discs for 2 reasons. It has great tagging functionality, uses multiple databases to search for the tagging info and you can choose which one to use. It's saved me heaps of time in tagging for some esoteric CDs because one database or other will have the correct info. Also use it for AccurateRip to make sure the rip is 'bitperfect'.

Tagging Wav with dbpoweramp seems to work OK for me and all the tags are read fine by jriver.

SBR

However - if you move those files to some other player in the future - they could (and most likely will) have serious metadata issues. Most importantly - since there is no real tag standard for WAV - it's very limited on what can be stored and even more limited in what can be read back by software. Unless you are dealing with broadcast wav format - there is huge risk with WAV since tagging is not well supported at all by the community at large.

Personally I would never invest any time ripping to any format that has even the slightest risk of dropping meta data. FLAC all the way here. I need to know that every scrap of data I put in - is sitting right inside the file - and not sitting inside a database (which is most likely the case here) I suspect the metadata you believe to be "in" your wav files is simply part of the MC library and not actually in the file itself.

As a test - take one of your wav files and fire it up in Windows Media Player and see what tags are displayed - I suspect very few....

VP

Vocalpoint

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 12:08:48 pm »

Yes, APE or FLAC are excellent, but takes up more disk space. I like mp3 VBR enconding target quality extreme.

But you do know that you are creating a lossy "damaged" copy of the original and will need to re-rip everything again in the future if some new format suddenly becomes cool. You can't convert MP3 to anything that's listenable.

In 2012 - with disk space is as cheap as it will ever be - and for best use of your ripping time - any rip project should only consider a lossless archive quality file as an end result. My rule - rip it once and rip it right. For me - FLAC is the only true option for storage, massively good metadata support and true lossless trans-coding to future formats if required.

Anything else is just setting you up for a repeated rip session, more wasted time and your run the risk of damage having to continually mess around with your original source discs over and over again.

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up