INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bluray movies/subwoofer to a 2.0 DAC  (Read 3586 times)

soulrider4ever

• Recent member
bluray movies/subwoofer to a 2.0 DAC
« on: January 16, 2012, 08:57:43 pm »

OK, so I currently am using a CEntrance DACmini via USB for basic PC stuff and coaxial for stereo listening.

I run the analog out into a HK3490 stereo receiver. The receiver has dual subwoofer outs, however, they are just HPF - so there are no small/large settings to play with. I am planning on purchasing a Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer in the near future.

I want to use JRiver 16  for watching blu-rays and I really need some help in thinking thru the best way to configure my PC audio to get a full 2.1 movie experience via the DACmini. I can go either USB or COAX, however, I need to make sure that which ever route I go, I will get the full LFE track from the movie. The speakers have their own crossover, so I am not concerned about sending LFE signal to them.

So option 1 - USB - windows 7 has the ability for me to configure the speakers as small and then use bass boost enchancement for boosting the 15db to the LFE, I will not have this feature if I set the speakers to large in win7 or use coaxial out.

Option 2 - coax - the DACmini can't decode dolby, etc - just PCM, so I would need PDVD to output PCM, but not sure if it would still send the .1 track in PCM..

can anyone help shed some light on this topic? Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: bluray movies/subwoofer to a 2.0 DAC
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 06:56:09 am »

Why use PDVD?  You can play the disc or rip in MC17.

MC's DSP Studio can probably adjust the sound the way you want it.

Welcome to the forum.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 07:21:48 am »

soulrider4ever, what do you actually mean by "PDVD"? A Google search finds e.g. this.

You can use the "option 2" aka "2 ch stereo PCM through S/PDIF". The Output Format options in DSP Studio can create a stereo mix that includes the center, surround, and LFE audio data. ( Channels: 2 channels (stereo), Mixing: JRSS v2.0TM surround sound (recommended) )
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 09:17:09 am »

PowerDVD

soulrider4ever

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 02:52:49 pm »

soulrider4ever, what do you actually mean by "PDVD"? A Google search finds e.g. this.

You can use the "option 2" aka "2 ch stereo PCM through S/PDIF". The Output Format options in DSP Studio can create a stereo mix that includes the center, surround, and LFE audio data. ( Channels: 2 channels (stereo), Mixing: JRSS v2.0TM surround sound (recommended) )

Yeah sorry I had copy/pasted the original question on a powerdvd forum, I thought I cleaned it up, but I missed that one, just replace it with MC :)

I guess my question is how can I assure the proper setup to ensure that the downmix from 5.1/7.1 goes to 2.0 but includes the .1 channel in the downmix.  Which appears to be answered in the previous post.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 02:54:48 pm »

Pick "2 channels" and "JRSS mixing" in DSP Studio > Output Format.

Then all sources will be mixed nicely to 2.0, including 5.1 / 7.1 sources.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

soulrider4ever

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 03:01:05 pm »

Pick "2 channels" and "JRSS mixing" in DSP Studio > Output Format.

Then all sources will be mixed nicely to 2.0, including 5.1 / 7.1 sources.

I was wondering if the downmix includes the +15db the LFE normally gets by a receiver.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 03:17:22 pm »

I was wondering if the downmix includes the +15db the LFE normally gets by a receiver.

Yes, it does (although it's actually +10 dB).

This is optional on DSP Studio > Output Format > Source is correctly mastered for +10 dB calibration.  Just leave it checked (like the default).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

soulrider4ever

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 03:26:48 pm »

Yes, it does (although it's actually +10 dB).

This is optional on DSP Studio > Output Format > Source is correctly mastered for +10 dB calibration.  Just leave it checked (like the default).

That is so killer, you guys are top notch!  That just saved me so much money I was about to blow on a dedicated processor.  Who can I tip ? LOL.
Pages: [1]   Go Up