INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Output - ASIO, WASAPI, Kernel Streaming  (Read 10113 times)

Jason36

• Recent member
Which Output - ASIO, WASAPI, Kernel Streaming
« on: February 10, 2012, 03:41:46 am »

Hi Guys,

I have recently just started using JRiver MC17 and after a bit of confusion regards setting it up I am now flying. At the moment I am using the Direct Sound Setting but would like to look at another setting. I am using a NuForce Icon uDAC2 at the moment, this will be changed eventually, but it may be three or 4 months before I can do that. I am running Windows XP on a Asus EeePC 1001PX with 2GB RAM and a 500GB HDD (recent changes I have made)

I know that the uDAC doesn't support ASIO and for some reason I have got in my head that WASAPI wont work either with XP so that leaves me Kernel Streaming. This is where I am stuck what exactly is Kernel Streaming, How do I implement it in MC17 and how do I set it up to work with MC17 and my uDAC2??

I have a mixture of Apple Lossless and HiRes FLAC files (at 24/96kHz) and also a few MP3's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
Re: Which Output - ASIO, WASAPI, Kernel Streaming
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 04:53:43 am »

I suggest you to try ASIO4ALL (works even if your DAC doesn´t support native ASIO) or Kernel Streaming... WASAPI is only for Vista/7.
I cannot help with Kernel Streaming, but I use ASIO4ALL and I quess it converts ASIO to Kernel Streaming on the fly... So, it should not be any worse than KS, and it can use your native bitdebth...

Just download and istall http://www.asio4all.com/
Select in JRiver ASIO output->ASIO4ALL... when opening audio stream, you should have taskbar icon->click it and you can configure ASIO4ALL (select output and video-/soundcard and activate pull-mode (if it works)). You should then have bitperfect audio output without windows mixer messing up ;)
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

Jason36

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 06:15:35 am »

Thanks for that SamuelMaki,

I have succesfuly downloaded the ASIO4ALL driver and have followed the "Windows XP ASIO4ALL setup" details off the web. It is working perfectly.

Thanks for the answer and helping me to sort this. I assume that this is now completely bypassing my onboard soundcard and taking music bit perfect direct to the DAC?

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 06:26:25 am »

Thanks for that SamuelMaki,

I have succesfuly downloaded the ASIO4ALL driver and have followed the "Windows XP ASIO4ALL setup" details off the web. It is working perfectly.

Thanks for the answer and helping me to sort this. I assume that this is now completely bypassing my onboard soundcard and taking music bit perfect direct to the DAC?
Yep, that is right :)
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 08:54:11 am »

Some more information here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

We recommend using Kernel Streaming directly instead of ASIO4All (which is a layer on top of Kernel Streaming ).

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jason36

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 03:10:14 pm »

Cheers for that Matt,

Unfortunately I have no idea where to start with Kernel Streaming or what I need to do to make it work.

I tried having a look on here but couldn't really find anything.....hence decided ASIO4ALL was easier and simpler to do.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 03:30:01 pm »

Cheers for that Matt,

Unfortunately I have no idea where to start with Kernel Streaming or what I need to do to make it work.

I tried having a look on here but couldn't really find anything.....hence decided ASIO4ALL was easier and simpler to do.
At the top of the wiki article that Matt linked to it says Tools > Options > Audio. You then select Output mode. This is where you select Kernel Streaming. In Output Mode Settings you select the audio device.

bidders

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 03:55:31 am »

I used to stream audio to an Omnifi. I had to change my music location and MC 17.0.165 didn't pick up my music despite changing the location of my music in file locations. I decided to uninstall then reinstall MC17. When it was reinstalled I could not remember what I had to do to get the kernal streaming to work. I selected the output mode as kernal streaming but in output mode settings the only option is SoundMax Digital Audio which doesn't work. I can't enter a device, what do I do?

bidders

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 05:33:18 pm »

I have got kernel streaming to an Omnifi but it only gets as far as displaying Artist Name/ Album/Genre etc, If I click lrft from any option it just hangs then eventually disappears and I'm left with 'Generic DNLA' which does nothing. I have 30,530 tracks of various artists. Have I hit a maximum or something? Anybody know why  can't get the track names etc displayed?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 06:14:28 am »

MC supports many hundreds of thousands of files.

I don't understand your issue at all.  You might want to explain further.  It also sounds like your new question has little to do with Audio Output modes, so you might want to start a new thread.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up