INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [SOLVED] DLNA problem with Panasonic Viera TV  (Read 9346 times)

alerma

• Recent member
[SOLVED] DLNA problem with Panasonic Viera TV
« on: February 23, 2012, 04:04:17 pm »

I am trying to use MC as DLNA server for my Panasonic Viera TV (42X3) and experiencing very strange problem. The TV can see the MC generic DLNA server just fine. I can browse audio and movie files, however when I have more than 20 item in any subcategory, the strange thing happens:
when scrolling to the end of a list, after the item number 20 the listing just disappears and I have to return back one level to see it again. Does anyone experience the same problem?

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA problem with Panasonic Viera TV
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 04:09:02 pm »

DLNA problems seem to be more related to the TV/device than the MC program. At least according to the other posts I have read on this subject.
We should do a survey and see who has DLNA working and who doesn't, and list the brand/model TVs where it works.

alerma

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 04:14:31 pm »

Probably it is more about compatibility between MC and DLNA device. For example, I have Asset UPNP DLNA Music server, which doesn't have this problem, so I can browse any number of items in any sub/listing. At the same time MC has something that makes it impossible.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:50:39 pm »

Can you check the Advanced Settings for the Generic DLNA server in MC and see if DLNAExtra is on? If it's not, can you turn it on and try again?

If you still have trouble after that can would you send an MC log and a wireshark dump of the interaction? You can turn on MC logging under Help->Logging. If you turn the log on just before you get try to duplicate the problem and off just after it happens it will minimize the log file size.

The instructions for generating a wireshark log file are in the wiki:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sharing_Plug-in_Debugging_Hints

thomke

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 02:41:49 am »

I also have a Panasonic Viera TV (Model TH-L42E30A) and am experiencing the same problem as alerma reported. This has only happenned since I upgraded to Version 17 as things worked fine under Version 16.
I have the DLNAExtra option on.
I have upgraded to the latest version 17.0.103.
I have attached the MC and Wireshark log files generated as you specified.

My only workaround right now is to ensure that any movie list is not greater than 20 as the problem occurs whenever I try to view the 21 in any list or scroll from the first in the list to the last. The latter is what I used to generate the logs. Please note I zipped up the logs as it was too big to send.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 06:34:00 am »

I also have a Panasonic Viera TV (Model TH-L42E30A) and am experiencing the same problem as alerma reported. This has only happenned since I upgraded to Version 17 as things worked fine under Version 16.
I have the DLNAExtra option on.
I have upgraded to the latest version 17.0.103.
I have attached the MC and Wireshark log files generated as you specified.

My only workaround right now is to ensure that any movie list is not greater than 20 as the problem occurs whenever I try to view the 21 in any list or scroll from the first in the list to the last. The latter is what I used to generate the logs. Please note I zipped up the logs as it was too big to send.

I looked at your log. It is most probably a bug in your TV. As far as I can tell, MC is doing everything it is supposed to do.

To be specific, your TV asks MC for 20 items in the browse tree (StartingIndex := 0; RequestedCount := 20); MC returns those 20 items, and informs the TV there are a total of 95 items in that branch of the tree (NumberReturned := 20; TotalMatches := 95). Ok so far.

But then, your TV goes a bit crazy because it asks for 20 items starting at position 80 in the browse tree (StartingIndex := 80; RequestedCount := 20) [not at StartingIndex := 20 as you would expect] and MC returns the last 15 items (NumberReturned := 15; TotalMatches := 95) as it should.

And then your TV just keeps repeating the same request (StartingIndex := 80; RequestedCount := 20) => it never asks for the items at StartingIndex := 20, 40, or 60 !!

EDIT: but then again, perhaps MC is actually the guilty party after all. I see that each time the TV makes the same request (StartingIndex := 80; RequestedCount := 20) MC is responding with a different value of UpdateID := n. -- Now if a player detects that the UpdateId has changed, it has reason to suspect that the entries in that branch of the browse tree have changed, and may therefore ask the server to supply the list again. That could explain the repeating of the same request...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

thomke

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 05:08:45 am »

Thanks for your thorough investigation. The TV is requesting items starting at 80 as that's how I did the test - I did not scroll down to the next 20 in the list (from position 20) but rather scrolled up from the first in the list to loop around to the end of the list which should have presented the last 15 - ie from 80 to 95. I did the test this way to minimise the amount of data I would need to send you as I thought (maybe wrongly) that scrolling down to the next 20 may output more data.

alerma

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 02:00:48 pm »

Does anyone know if this issue has been fixed? In what version? Thanks

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 07:21:33 pm »

Does anyone know if this issue has been fixed? In what version? Thanks
Current version should be working... Anything >=17.0.110 should work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up