INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ISO handling  (Read 13745 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: ISO handling
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2012, 10:39:11 am »

Because my HTPC is normally in TheaterView and I put the disc in to rip it.

Ideally I would be able to configure MC so it can rip Blurays to .iso and DVD to folder. Failing that I just want to able to tell MC to take no action and use AnyDVD to rip.
At the bottom of the list of Filetypes in MC's Options, uncheck Blu-ray and DVD.

Jong

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 11:42:37 am »

But won't that stop it playing a mounted iso? And still it would be better to have the choice for when we DO want to play a disc.

(Yes I know I want it all!)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 12:02:27 pm »

But won't that stop it playing a mounted iso?
No.

Sesam

• World Citizen
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2012, 05:11:33 pm »

I would really like to see built-in/better ISO handling in MC.

VLC for example can handle playing ISO's without any mounting (you can even drag & drop them to playback). The reason why I generally still use VLC for most DVD playback.

- Virtual Clone Drive and Daemon Tools are the most widely used applications for mounting ISO's. But I would rather see MC handle ISO's without an external application, because it would be much more convenient. DT/VCD are both rather slow, especially if you have software like AnyDVD installed, also "Autostart/Play" and Antivirus applications kick in on media change. Sure you can disable Autoplay in Windows, but I like to have that still enabled for actual physical discs.

- MC needs to be able to detect if an ISO is DVD, Blu-ray or SACD automatically (so that you don't have to manually categorize the as video). DVD's and Blu-rays have standardized folder structures so I assume it shouldn't be too difficult to detect the correct type.

- Sidecar support even for ISO's categorized as Video, so that you can tag them properly.

- A category/type specifically for Concert's/Live performances, at least I haven't been able to figure out how to properly sort them into my library.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2012, 09:27:07 pm »

If you're in Theater View, why would you insert a disc if you don't want to play it?

When I am NOT in Theater View, inserting a disk causes MC to open and try to play the disc.  If I am already in TV and insert a disk, odds are I want to play it.  If I am not in TV and insert a disk, odds are I do NOT want to play it - I want to do other things with it.

apgood

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Re: ISO handling
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2012, 08:34:18 pm »

Interesting! Please let me know how you did it!

Sorry for the long delay. Basically what I did is for a given folder I created a rule to tag iso's as media type "video" and media sub type "movie". What this means is that so long as you keep movie iso's and SACD iso's in separate folders on your harddrive / server and import at that folder level it will work. Path where rules are setup is: options -> library & folders -> configure auto-import... Then select the folder (if it already exists) and press the Edit button. Then expand data and tick Disk Image Files and then add two rules, one for media type and one for media sub type. NOTE: ALL files in that folder and it's subfolders will get these tags (except folder.jpg etc.. If you have "Ignore special files" ticked), so makes sure you do not have files of mixed media type in that folder or is subfolders.
Hope this helps.

Jong

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2012, 12:09:32 am »

Thanks, in fact I had tried that already, but it did not work. I tried again with a new import folder and it did. At first I just thought I'd messed up the first time, but later I had the same problem again with existing import folder. At the moment I think (not comprehensively verified!) that this only works if you set it up when you create the import. If you subsequently you add this it doesn't seem to.

apgood

• World Citizen
Re: Re: ISO handling
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2012, 12:17:10 am »

For iso's already imported by jriver you will need to manually change the media type etc, because they are already in the database. But for new iso's it should work. At least it did when I first set it up for an existing folder.

Jong

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2012, 03:37:10 am »

Yeah, we agree. Just looked back at my post on the previous page and that is what I found too. The odd thing though is even if you delete the iso from the database and reimport using an existing folder definition that has been modified to change Media Type it does not work. But if you set up a new folder definition and reimport the same ISO it does. ?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2012, 03:41:11 am »

Ahhh that is probably because the details are really still in the Database but are marked as "removed".  Add a smartlist with these details and you can see all the "removed" items.  If you delete them from this list then they are gone for good and you should get a clean install the next time.

~d=r
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2012, 04:13:12 am »

I'd rather see better ISO handling by MC than having it depend on 3rd party programs to mount them. If better ISO handling in MC is not an option I'd rather see you not support ISO's at all and leave it up to the user to mount it instead of trying to do it automatically. The reason is that you would become dependant on 3rd party programs, API's and versions. If they decide to change their API it will break MC functionality and flood you with support questions. The more 3rd party programs you attempt to support the bigger the risk it might break on updates.

Here's crazy idea. VLC already handles ISO playback without mounting. Drag and drop ISO's or complete folders, it all works pretty much flawlessly. VLC is open source, I think the license would allow you to use that specific code and just credit them for it. Or wouldn't that work?

Jong

« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2012, 04:33:45 am »

Ahhh that is probably because the details are really still in the Database but are marked as "removed".  Add a smartlist with these details and you can see all the "removed" items.  If you delete them from this list then they are gone for good and you should get a clean install the next time.
Wow. More stuff I don't know about. Thanks. I will look into smartlists!

greynolds

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2012, 12:53:50 pm »

2) Support one or more of the most popular ISO mounting programs, and auto-mount / auto-dismount the ISO files when they're used

I'm not sure what the most popular programs are?  Are there any good, free solutions?  How would this work when multiple threads want to read different ISO files at the same time (like two zones each playing a different ISO)?
Take a look at Pismo, which I commented on in another ISO related thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72872.msg509957#msg509957

Ser_Renely

• Recent member
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2012, 09:23:40 am »

I am new to JRiver(on trial) and I have found how it can't automatically figure out that .iso are movies to be annoying.

Unfortunately I think it might stop me from continuing to use it.  Which is a bit of a shame, since I find myself enjoying it more and more.  I don't really see myself unpacking or converting 100-200+ .iso's to TS_video or mkv.

Just my two cents.

MrHaugen

« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2012, 04:03:08 am »

You can probably do something about that Ser_Renely... You can import the folder with all the iso's and force it to set the Media Type as Video and Media Sub Type as Movie. Then you need to change MC to play the files with an external application. Choose the windows default action, which should be Deamon tools or similar app with auto loading capabilities.

I'm not 100% sure this would all work, but it's worth a shot.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Jong

« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2012, 04:30:19 am »

It all works perfectly. As MrH says, set up the importer for your movie folders to force media type and subtype and, in Windows, set isos to be opened by your chosen mounting tool. I use Virtual Clone Drive. Hopefully, though, this will be more automatic in a future build of MC18.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up