INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VideoClock and Live TV  (Read 1531 times)

NickF

• Citizen of the Universe
VideoClock and Live TV
« on: March 05, 2012, 09:19:45 am »

I am struggling to get smooth play of live TV.  I have played with RO and Hardware Acceleration and have improved things but it is still not good.  My question is, should VideoClock be used with live TV? 

I can't see how it can work as the incoming video and audio streams cannot be controlled as they are fixed at the origin and the TV or projector requests frames at its set rate so I don't see how anything in between can deal with the difference between these two fixed rates.  My experiments confirm this.  The only possibility is to buffer a few seconds to introduce some flexibility between input and output.

Or have I got it wrong?

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Sandy B Ridge

Re: VideoClock and Live TV
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:58:09 am »

Hey dude - full of good questions today!  :P

A while back I did report some lipsync issues with ROHQ here on one of the threads, as did a couple of others. A quick fix was to use ROStd which worked fine. I haven't tried ROHQ (in earnest) ages now, but will start to fiddle again now that my HTPC is back together again and most things reloaded. Haswell, my 8 month old is taking up most of my fettling time at the moment, it's going slowly!

In terms of stutter, I haven't experienced much with live TV. I do make sure that my Display is set to 50Hz as a default. MC doesn't yet change refresh rate automatically for live tv (MadVR might I suppose). Hopefully one day.

I did watch about 10 minutes of Cbeebies yesterday with ROHQ and it seemed fine although not the best to judge lipsync with!  I had to dial down MadVR slightly from the default because of a weakish graphics card (GT430), MadVR was reporting some dropped frames. I enabled Exclusive mode and increased some of the buffers and it was fine after.

ROStd has been rock-solid for me though.

Keep up the questions! More traffic in the TV forum can only be a good thing (although might distract Yaobing from coding though!)

SBR

NickF

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:26:12 am »

Hey dude - full of good questions today!  :P

Ah, well retirement gives me plenty of time for fettling!

In terms of stutter, I haven't experienced much with live TV. I do make sure that my Display is set to 50Hz as a default. MC doesn't yet change refresh rate automatically for live tv (MadVR might I suppose). Hopefully one day.

I did watch about 10 minutes of Cbeebies yesterday with ROHQ and it seemed fine although not the best to judge lipsync with!  I had to dial down MadVR slightly from the default because of a weakish graphics card (GT430), MadVR was reporting some dropped frames. I enabled Exclusive mode and increased some of the buffers and it was fine after.

What settings did you use for madVR?  I really need to get back to ROHQ but the failures are far too serious at present.  I think I am already on exclusive.

Keep up the questions! More traffic in the TV forum can only be a good thing (although might distract Yaobing from coding though!)

Yes, but we do need to encourage him to code the right things!!  He's doing very well so far!

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 01:08:36 pm »

Ah, well retirement gives me plenty of time for fettling!
Lucky you! I'll be lucky to be allowed to retire if this government carries on in the same vein! Retirement age keeps going up and up!
What settings did you use for madVR?  I really need to get back to ROHQ but the failures are far too serious at present.  I think I am already on exclusive.
I have chroma upsampling set to softcubic 100, luma to either Cartmuli or Mitchell (I'm not by the PC at the moment but I've used both in the past). I found lanczos 4 taps too much for the video card. I increased the back buffer or the number of frames presented in both windowed and exclusive up a few notches. I added my screen resolutions in the display bit for 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p59 and 1080p60. I've decided to abandon 23p/bitstreaming and go with 24p and Videoclock and PCM audio because of a peculiarity with my amp (doesn't do 23p well at all and even though I can get near as dammit with the GT430 to 23.976 my amp insists on rejigging it back to 24p and introduces its own judder!).

Having said that, you should be OK with your GTS450. I had previous trouble with turning off Aero. It increased my 'present times' in the MadVR OSD (Ctrl-J) by 50-100 fold. Turning Aero on again made a big difference.
Yes, but we do need to encourage him to code the right things!!  He's doing very well so far!
Yes, the nuts and bolts of the basic TV format support are really coming together.  Just need the basics to be trouble-free for now!

SBR

NickF

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 04:53:55 pm »

Thanks for the pointers on madVR settings.  I have adjusted mine for RO HQ and am getting pretty smooth play.  VideoClock does seem to be working, I guess because we are in time-shifting domain.  A big improvement.

Nick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up