INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound problem  (Read 18121 times)

Bow

• Recent member
Sound problem
« on: March 10, 2012, 04:05:54 am »

I am using mediacenter trial v17.0.99 on win7 64bit Home premium on a notebook (ACER Aspire 5455G) connected to a Marantz NA7004 via USB 3.0 using the WASAPI/WASAPI event, output mode in JRiver mediacenter, no DSP functions enabled, all volume controls (I can find) turned off.(have also ASIO4ALL installed but can not get it to work).
I am playing waw (ripped from CD´s with DBpoweramp) and Flac from HDtracks from common networkdrive (NAS).
Listening via ESS AMT 1C loud speakers and Stax SRM007TII/SRM252II headamps with SR202/SR507 headphones.

Thing is that the sound quality when playing using mediacenter is not so good (it lacks clarity and punch in the bas,has weaker stereo picture - could be described as "gray" in the sound) compared to if I play the music directly from the network drive with the Na7004.
The quality difference I hear takes so much life out of the music so even VLC player (new version 2 where you can set the mixer quality to high) sounds better in some respects (for sure VLC have other problems stability wise and so on so I really like mediacenter to work)

So is the trialversion limited in sound quality ?

Or is the quality limitation in the use of WASAPI ?

If nothing of the above is the case, is it possible to set the quality of the internal up/down mixers (if I play a waw that's 44.1/16 bit the internal  mixer will upconvert to 44.1/64 bits for internal use and then downconvert to 44.1/16 that will output to WASAPI in my config) like you can in the latest version of VLC player ?
(these mixers is always working (as far as I can see they do) even if all DSP functions is disabled (so in theory no absolutely bitperfect mode in mediacenter why it always uses its internal "replay gain" ?
(here I am not referring to the replay gain in the DSP department)

I also have a audiolab 8200CDQ on trial but have not yet had the time to try it on ASIO so any input/experience on how best to use/configure that will be welcomed.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sound problem
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 07:24:30 am »

By "waw", do you mean "Wav" file?

Use WASAPI Event style if it works. 

Check your Windows mixer to make sure levels are set to 100% there.

If your device comes with an ASIO driver, you could try it, but WASAPI Event style should be fine, too. 

Did you install software that came with the device?

When you say you're playing "directly from the network drive", I assume it must support DLNA?

Bow

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 01:59:11 pm »

Thank You for your fast answer.

Sorry I could not answer faster my self but we had a power outage in parts of Copenhagen and it caused problems for my ISP.

Also noticed that the post name have mysteriously changed, sure it must be the increased activity on the sun that's causing that  ;D but no problem.

>By "waw", do you mean "Wav" file?<
 Yes

>Use WASAPI Event style if it works.<
Have used both WASAPI and WASAPI event with same result (I must use WASAPI Event style if I down mix from 5.1 to stereo to get working w/o shutter but problem is w/o any DSP functions working)

>Check your Windows mixer to make sure levels are set to 100% there.<
The 3 mixer volumes ("SPDIF-interface" "system sounds" "Media center" and where/is linked together and on 100 %

>If your device comes with an ASIO driver, you could try it, but WASAPI Event style should be fine, too.<
Can not get the ASIO4ALL to work with Marantz NA7004 so guess I must try the Audiolab 8200CDQ, also to rule out any bad interface issues on the NA7004 USB implementation (according to what I can see in the schematics for the NA7004 this far, it seems to be well built, but you newer know).  

>Did you install software that came with the device?<
Driver SW is contained in win 7 so no drivers needed.

>When you say you're playing "directly from the network drive", I assume it must support DLNA?<
Yes you are right in your assumption I am using the "Music Server" function on the NA7004.(that access the server via DNLA function)
And I am using the "explorer" function (under "Drivers & Devices") in media player.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 02:10:04 pm »

If you access MC with DLNA, make sure MC isn't converting formats.

Bow

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 02:32:56 pm »

it is not according to "Audio Path" only the internal up/down converting is activated (I can see that if I go into "Options/DSP Studios where BTW nothing is activated and it says "internal 44.1 KHz 64 bit 2ch"
So I wonder if it is maybe the developers that have lowered the quality in the internal mixers to reduce CPU overhead ?.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 02:34:36 pm »

When you play directly from the network drive with the Marantz I assume you are connecting through the Marantz's built in ethernet device.
Have you tried using a USB 2.0 port? I can't find anywhere that says the Marantz is a 3.0 device and am wondering if the backwards compatibility
of 3.0 is not as good as it should be. I know it shouldn't matter but stranger things have happened.
Sean

Bow

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 02:54:40 pm »

>When you play directly from the network drive with the Marantz I assume you are connecting through the Marantz's built in ethernet device.<
Yes exactly.
Yes I have tried the USB 2.0 port on the ACER 5755G Notebook but that port sounds "scratchy" if MC changes rate and have to be reconnected by replugging the USB connector.
(the USB 2.0 port on my sons Toshiba note book have the same issues when he connects his Traktor interface ) http://www.native-instruments.com/#/products/dj/traktor/
And you are absolute right stranger things have sure been seen (heard) like why one digital cable (SPDIF) sounds better than the other even if you like one of my Friends who have access to digital analysers couldn't measure any difference between the cables jitterwise etc.
PLS.PLS. lets not discuss cables in this post !

Bow

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 03:01:40 pm »

I know I contradict my last post but maybe I should try to change the USB cable ?

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 03:10:11 pm »

I know I contradict my last post but maybe I should try to change the USB cable ?

You could try an Optical or Coaxial cable also just to possibly rule out a USB issue.
Sean

Bow

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 03:21:25 pm »

Yes but as far as I can see I have no SPDIF connector (optical or Wire) on the notebook, so only other possibility is HDMI and if i use that have to route it through the television or buy a device that can separate the audio from the video + HDMI is rumored to be quite jittery.
And thank you for your input Scolex I got some inspiration as to where i will look to pinpoint the problem.
See also http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70726.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up