INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Got confused with JRemote, thought it would also PLAY songs!  (Read 1819 times)

latebeat

• Recent member

Ok, not to come off way too stupid, but I thought that JRemote would also allow me to play my music on my ipad besides remotely controlling it. ::)
Is that even possible? I've tried webplay but I don't find it very useful. So when I saw JRemote on the app store with all the screen shots, I got too excited that I skimmed through the description... :-[
So, the million $ question? Why can't I listen to my music library with JRemote? All I wanted to do was have a good interface for all my music library and play it through the ipad dock that I have. I mean the interface to see all the items in the library, heck even cover art and metadata is there?  

Isn't there an app for that?  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhIisBi8Qv0&feature=fvst

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Got confused with JRemote, thought it would also PLAY songs!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 10:53:53 am »

a quote from LesPaul, the dev from this great JRemote app:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70924.0

Hi Guys, I appreciate that you want to pay for streaming etc, I really do.

However, there wont be any in-app purchases in JRemote at this time. My main goal with JRemote is to create one of the best remotes out there, not to make more money. I have a day job that takes care of that.

Of course, I would not make an app like this for free, I need some return on the invested hours. Some people feel that the price for JRemote is high, but I can tell you that not even the most positive sale forecasts would begin to make those hours look like a good investment.

An in-app purchase of 2-3 dollars would not really make much difference in the end, and I`m sure quite a few users would be disappointed.

You can try PlugPlayer, it allows to control (not as good as JRemote, just the basic stuff) and play your library on the iphone, works great.
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

rjm

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:16:43 am »

Thanks for the tip. App Store reviews of PlugPlayer are bad and few. Would you please elaborate on which media types you have confirmed work well?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 11:47:17 am »

Download the latest MC17 and try WebGizmo for local playback.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WebGizmo

sunfire7

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 11:58:37 am »

PlugPlayer works great, I don't had any troubles with audio media types, mp3, m4a, flac works good.  (You can also set up MC to transcode it on the fly if your bandwidth is not enough), but I didn't test it for video files.  here is a little video I made using it (sorry for the low quality and shaky video)

http://youtu.be/Me3Eywsq9EU
Mac version early bird

rjm

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 02:17:40 pm »

Thanks for the video. Looks like audio works nicely. I am most interested in playing video that needs to be converted for playback on an IOS device. Want to be sure this works before spending $5 for PlugPlayer. If you ever test video please let us know the results.

sunfire7

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 02:56:10 pm »

quick test with video files:
native video formats from ios plays ok (I used a video from an iphone) plays good without waiting just as if you were in youtube app, but with 1080p/720p mkv's wont play directly and I had no luck with convert settings in MC.  Maybe special profiles need to be added
Mac version early bird

rjm

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 06:54:39 pm »

quick test with video files:
native video formats from ios plays ok (I used a video from an iphone) plays good without waiting just as if you were in youtube app, but with 1080p/720p mkv's wont play directly and I had no luck with convert settings in MC.  Maybe special profiles need to be added

Thanks. I can't get video conversion to work with WenGizmo either. Have thread with questions here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=71416.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up