INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebook support (epub, mobi etc.)  (Read 6295 times)

Phil LD

• Junior Woodchuck
Ebook support (epub, mobi etc.)
« on: March 21, 2012, 03:20:22 pm »

This was requested by another member for JRiver 15.

It would be nice to have an option to manage ebooks in epub format.

Lasse_Lus

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ebook support (epub, mobi etc.)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 04:06:47 pm »

you can add/manage any kind of file in MC read further here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=61899.msg415034#msg415034
MT5FR

Phil LD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 05:00:28 pm »

Well, still it would be nice if JRiver offered more advanced ebook managing features. Right now, it is nothing more than a better file explorer in terms of ebooks.

It shouldn't be impossible to change metadata inside of epub files as it is a more or less often requested feature and the largest part missing in the huge amount of things JRiver already does perfectly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 05:34:49 pm »

Phil LD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 06:14:32 pm »

No not really. It just links to the same article already mentioned above.

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 12:12:29 pm »

I manage my ebooks and ebook library loans exclusively with MC.  I use epub, pdf, doc, txt and rtf.  I have no experience with mobi.

I find that MC is a vastly better manager than what I understand is the "premiere" dedicated ebook manager, Calibre.  I call the Calibre reader as a double-click file association within MC, as well as the Adobe PDF reader.  Stripping the file management away from both of these programs makes their use tolerable, barely.  I would love to read and tag ebooks using MC only, but the last time this topic came up there were maybe three people showing interest, so I would not expect JRiver to pull programmers off their current priorities for this.

If you have a large library, do some fooling around with custom smartlists, and you'll really see the power of MC.  I have attention span issues, so there's probably 5,000 books I'm halfway through.  Smartlists make it easy to keep track of these things and reassure myself that one day I could finish something, if I cared to.

I know that JRiver will increase support as the demand increases, but in the mean time they'll appreciate specific feedback from early adopters.

rjm

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 05:02:37 pm »

I'd also like to see improved ebook support however I understand that we are a minority of users and the investment for proper support would be high. Given that using an external viewer is easy, and given that Calibre does a good job of tagging, perhaps  a low cost but useful first step would be for MC to read ebook meta data?

javidan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 05:55:23 am »

I find that MC is a vastly better manager than what I understand is the "premiere" dedicated ebook manager, Calibre.  I call the Calibre reader as a double-click file association within MC, as well as the Adobe PDF reader.  Stripping the file management away from both of these programs makes their use tolerable, barely.  I would love to read and tag ebooks using MC only, but the last time this topic came up there were maybe three people showing interest, so I would not expect JRiver to pull programmers off their current priorities for this.

Yeah J River's database is so powerful it is doing what so many iterations of file managers have failed to do.
It started with my frustration of Windows Media library always getting "corrupted" and tones of tag related file managers which I've spent so much time fiddling with.

It only dawned upon me after using MC for 2 years that the reliability and stability of MC totally trashes all solutions out there and I'm just about to get started on pdf tagging using MC.

I'm having some teething issues using the expressions to parse/tokenise my file names into tags though. Hence my other posts...

Phil LD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 02:28:47 pm »

So I imported my ebooks, however it ignores the folder.jpg besides each epub. It only recognizes the cover art if it has the exact name like the ebook.

Phil LD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 09:38:29 am »

I guess JRiver uses XULRunner as base to view websites.

So maybe it would be an option to use https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/epubreader/ to view epub inside JRiver.

jgreen

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 08:40:06 am »

. . . and a third-party PDF reader.

javidan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 08:57:07 am »

So I imported my ebooks, however it ignores the folder.jpg besides each epub. It only recognizes the cover art if it has the exact name like the ebook.

Firstly, I believe epub/pdf isn't a format MC is natively designed for so there will be limitation. (I am in the same process as you, moving my pdf library into MC and am learning to live with short comings such as inability to tag pdf into the file like audio and video files)
Secondly, J River has in the recent months made some changes to the way they detect special files such as folder.jpg etc. http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cover_Art
Have you taken a quick look at it yet?

One of the changes is how it ties a jpg to a file like you've just described.
(Some people hate it some love it, the debate is still going on though.)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 05:23:56 pm »

26.0.91 is on the Latest Channel now.  It has a couple of OPF file changes.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,125806.msg871524.html#msg871524
Pages: [1]   Go Up