INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Droid X, Gizmo and Wi-fi  (Read 1065 times)

dcpete

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Droid X, Gizmo and Wi-fi
« on: March 29, 2012, 04:44:26 pm »

Maybe this has been discussed or just obvious, but a lightbulb just went off in my head and maybe others haven't figured this out yet either.  I have been  a little annoyed with Gizmo because if I don't touch my Droid for a while, it goes to sleep and then when I wake it up, Gizmo doesn't work.  Ok, well duh.  The default behavior for my Droid X, probably others too, is to turn wifi off when it goes to sleep.  And there isn't a way in settings to change this behavior.  Gizmo doesn't do too well trying to reconnect when my Droid is negotiating to reconnect to my wi-fi network.  Most of the time Gizmo times out.  So anyway, I just put two and two together and realize when I'm listening to music out on the patio and want to control it with my droid/gizmo, I need to make sure wi-fi stays on all the time.  The obvious solution is to turn off the screen saver.  But there are a couple downsides to this.  One, security, two, the battery drains quite fast.  The other solution I have gone with is to install an app called "Wi-Fi Keep Alive".  This app lets you control how you want to keep the wi-fi connection up.  Most importantly for me lets me keep wi-fi up, when my droid goes to sleep.

Hope this helps someone else.

Chris

bwaldron

• World Citizen
Re: Droid X, Gizmo and Wi-fi
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 01:45:49 pm »

And there isn't a way in settings to change this behavior.

Are you sure? There is on all the Droid models I have used (currently a Bionic). It is a little hidden, though. In the Wi-Fi settings, you have to use the menu button to see the Advanced options. In there exists a Wi-Fi Sleep Policy item, which I have set to Never.

dcpete

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Droid X, Gizmo and Wi-fi
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 03:34:37 pm »

You made me look again :).  Well how about that, never noticed the advanced setting under Wi-Fi settings before.  It is there.  You have to press the menu settings key again as you said, while on the wi-fi settings screen to see the advanced menu.  Yes, pretty hidden, but there. 

Thanks, Chris

Motorola Droid X
Pages: [1]   Go Up