INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LiveTV is not 'live broadcast' when changing channels  (Read 1878 times)

csy

• Junior Woodchuck
LiveTV is not 'live broadcast' when changing channels
« on: April 06, 2012, 12:22:07 am »

When viewing LiveTV and I change channels to another channel that happens to be being recorded, I'm taken to the beginning of the buffer/recording and have to skip forwards to catch-up with the live broadcast.  This is a real pain!  It is even more of a pain if you channel surf, as when you return to that channel you are again taken back to the beginning of the buffer/recording!!!

I'm running 17.0.117

I would really appreciate if something could be done about this.

I'm recording in TS format if that makes a difference.

csy

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: LiveTV is not 'live broadcast' when changing channels
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:00:02 am »

Could someone from the JRiver team please respond?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:29:12 am »

This is by design.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

NickF

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 05:18:50 pm »

This is by design.
Why would we want it to behave like this?  Surely, if you switch to a channel, you want live TV.  If you want recorded, you go to recordings.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 06:05:56 pm »

When you "change to a channel", maybe you specify a channel, maybe you select a program from the guide.  We assume if you want to tune to a channel, you want to watch the program that is currently showing - which happens to be the program that is being recorded.  In that case wouldn't you want to watch the program from the start?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

NickF

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 02:08:07 am »

I would prefer to make that choice myself.  It may be that I had set a program to record but had started watching it live on another TV and want to pick it up on MC17.  So I would want it live.  In my opinion, the Guide or a channel select from a channel listing should always give live TV.  It seems more intuitive and is certainly what I am used to.  I can fully understand your logic and maybe it's something to get used to.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

csy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 02:44:31 am »

+1

There have been many instances where I'll decide to watch a recording programme 'live' and surf to another channel in the advert breaks, then return to the channel after a few minutes. 

I previously used WMC, and its LiveTV is just that "Live TV" and I would really appreciate this functionality in JRiver.

In WMC, if I wanted to watch a recording from the beginning while it is being recorded, I would go in 'TV Recordings' and start watching from there.  I believe this methodology would also work well for JRiver.

scokat916

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 12:26:52 pm »

+2

drosene

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 09:56:56 pm »

+3

Harley Softail

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 10:06:20 am »

Hello all

I would agree with this request. when selecting a channel It should be live. and I decide to select record it or to timeshift it i should only start then.

In addition what is the MC doing when it is "Waiting" and then shows "adding required components" can this be avoided or is it a situation i could improve on my side?

Cheers

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 01:54:45 am »

OK I really don't mind the whole "show from beginning of recording" thing, but my wife just mentioned that sometimes she "just wants to flick", so I guess that's +1 for the request.
Pages: [1]   Go Up