INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Display Setting should I use for 23.976 fps (Blu-Ray's) ? 23 or 24fps ?  (Read 1266 times)

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

Under Video I have enabled Automatic Display Settings Changing as well as VideoClock, but I wonder what would be the best setting for Blu-Ray's with 23.976 fps. My TV supports both 24 fps and 23 fps (which is actually 23.976). Theoretically I would say that it has to be 23 (.976), but I think I read somewhere that 24 is the recommended setting.
What is your opinion ?

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!

Film is shot at 24fps though slowed down slightly to 23.976 on Blu to get better 3:2 pulldown compatibility when used on a NTSC display (29.97/59.94hz).....  So some will argue for 24hz (being "how it was intended") and some for 23.976 (being "how it was encoded").  In reality I would suggest try both and see if one is smoother than the other (as some GPU's have a preference for one over the other...but then again for some they are the same anyway!).  Make sure you have "Videoclock" checked (Tools --> Options --> Video) to help prevent any dropped/repeated frames due to Video/Audio drift.  While each to their own, I would not recommend using a non-exact multiple (eg 60hz) as it forces a pulldown pattern to be applied where various frames will be repeated a different number of times resulting to pulldown judder - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine#Telecine_judder which you may (or may not) find distracting.
JRiver CEO Elect

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

Thanks for the replies.
Meanwhile I tried both settings, carefully watching the same scenes and I don't see a noticable difference. I have VideoClock enabled btw. So I will leave it on 23.976 I think.

BUT I have another problem. Audio and Video are not completely synchronized. But I will start a new thread about that with more details

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!

Good sign they look the same.  Now you don't have to worry, just be happy!
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up