INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld audio conversion from DSD to PCM  (Read 15839 times)

tourix

• Recent member
Handheld audio conversion from DSD to PCM
« on: April 14, 2012, 10:32:22 pm »

Hello,

Using JRMC17.0.125, I would like to sync dsd audio files in dff format to my iBasso DX100, which only supports pcm (e.g 24-bit/176.4KHz flac).
However, none of the encoders I have tried in Handheld > Conversion > Audio > Encoders seem to work.
For example, the FLAC encoder gives this error in the log file:

0050248: 2752: Playback: CAutoConfigureAudioOutput::GetOutputFormat: Start
0050248: 2752: Playback: CAutoConfigureAudioOutput::GetOutputFormat: Using input format
0050248: 2752: Playback: CAutoConfigureAudioOutput::GetOutputFormat: Applying output format settings
0050248: 2752: Playback: CAutoConfigureAudioOutput::GetOutputFormat: 352.8kHz 64bit 2ch
0050248: 2752: Playback: CAutoConfigureAudioOutput::GetOutputFormat: Finish (0 ms)
0050248: 2752: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::StartBufferBased: Start
0050248: 2752: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::StartBufferBased:   m_nFileSize is now 2112656704
0050248: 2752: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::StartBufferBased: Passed WaveFormatEx valid
0050248: 2752: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::StartBufferBased: ERROR - unsupported wave header
0050248: 2752: Encoders: CFlacEncoder::StartBufferBased: Finish (0 ms)

I have set the handheld conversion DSP Studio to resample "greater than 192,000 Hz" to "176,400 Hz", which is working fine when set in the player DSP Studio and playing to a Meitner MA-1. So I know for sure that MC17 is capable of doing this conversion on the fly.

Of course, after MC17.0.106 was released, I started to send native DSD to the MA-1 instead of converting DFF to 176.4KHz. Thanks to JRiver for supporting the format!!

However, the iBasso DX100 does not support native DSD (yet), so I need the conversion. I could convert offline, but on-the-fly conversion would be much easier.

On a related note, I am not able to play dff tracks when connected via a browser and WebGizmo. The DLNA Server settings do not support a DSP Studio that would allow to specify the desired resampling rate. Any advice here would be welcome too.

So here are my questions:

1) Has anyone been able to convert dff files to pcm files on-the-fly when syncing to a handheld?
2) Has anyone been able to play dff files via WebGizmo?
3) Is there any plan for MC17 to support SACD iso images directly? That would be truly awesome.

Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Handheld audio conversion from DSD to PCM
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 11:40:39 pm »

Welcome.

You might be a little ahead of us trying to use DSD for handhelds and Gizmo.

We'll put it on our list of things to work on, but it might be a little while.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tourix

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 03:59:22 pm »

Hi Matt,

Wonderful! Thanks for the quick reply and for listening to your users.
Until you support synchronizing of DSD files to handheld, I'll try to setup an external converter.

While you are at it, here is another thing you could add to your list:

When bitstreaming DoP, the audio option "Play silence at startup for hardware synchronization: n seconds" is ignored. This may be due to the fact that bitstreaming is a video feature and not an audio one. However, this results in the first played DSD track to be truncated, because it takes some time for the DAC to detect that DSD is being played over PCM and to switch accordingly.

Is there a way to work around this annoying problem? Thanks!

Cheers!

tourix

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 11:36:16 pm »

Hello Matt,

After more than one year, am I still ahead of you guys trying to sync (and seamlessly convert to PCM) my SACD iso's to my handheld device?
It would be great if the feature makes it to MC19.

Cheers!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 09:36:05 am »

This is old, but it's now possible to pick DSD encoding on your sync to a handheld.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tourix

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 12:31:55 am »

I only notice your reply now. I understand it's now possible to encode music to DSD for a handheld? Cool. But I actually need the opposite, i.e. transcode SACD iso to PCM when transferring to a handheld. Of course, this could be slow and adequate caching would prevent repeated transcoding on every sync.

Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up