INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Version 8.0 License/Purchase FAQ  (Read 2242 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
Version 8.0 License/Purchase FAQ
« on: May 06, 2002, 11:32:35 am »

We have a new page that should answer your questions about purchasing version 8.

It's here (but not completely finished):

http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/buy_faq_8.html

[Version 7 users, please check this FAQ: http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/buy_faq.html ]

Two changes resulted from the discussion this weekend.

Restores are now six per year.  

Multiple machines in your house can use the same install key if you install on them in the first two weeks after purchase or restore.  After that, you'll need to use one of your restores.

I would like to emphasize the fact that, though we want to be paid, we also want you, as a group, to be more than satisfied.  We're trying to be more than fair, but if it turns out that we've done something stupid, we'll try to admit it and change.  

We're done changing for now.  This is it.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

nila

RE:Version 8.0 License/Purchase FAQ
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2002, 05:04:28 pm »

6 as a number definitely appeals more as it means I have a straight forward 2 month period for each restore I can do.

Thanks for giving us multiple machines. I still think that is extremely generous.

I hope your still considering other registering schemes however as well, not for version 8 as I understand you have time constraints but for version 9.
Also, it would be REALLY nice if you would also possibly consider resetting this 6 if they run out by the following manner:
I'm sure you can pull up all the info about the customers registrations really easily. If someone runs out of the 6 and manually reports it, you enter the customers receipt number to pull him up, look at his usage and confirm that it doesn't look like it's been abused (ie shared on some public web site etc) and as long as it looks like he has used it fairly you reset his 6. This would be giving you guys protection from general sharing of serials etc but would also be looking after the customers needs (after all, thats the whole reason for this new registration scheme).

It would seem fair and seeing as you dont expect many customers to go over this 6, it would seem that offering it wouldn't put yourselves out too much as you dont expect many people to need it.
If you found that a lot of people did need to do this then you'd be keeping the customers with you as they wouldn't end up in the lurch and it would also give you guys notification that you possibly needed to consider another registration method as it was causing a lot of customers problems.

Thanks for listening and being open to ideas.

Please let me know what you think of this one.
If it has any serious flaws please feel free to point them out as I dont mind admitting I'm not perfect and there might be some really obvious reason I didn't think of why this wouldn't work or be practical.

Mavrick

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2002, 05:34:38 pm »

I knew there was a reason I liked you guys, you actually listen to your user community. I don't think I've ever seen any other software vendor open themselves to the opinons of their end users like you folks have, both in the development of Ver 8. and in this latest round regarding your actual business model.

Kudos!

Listening to: 'Don't Cry' from 'Freedom' by 'Neil Young' on Media Jukebox!!

JimH

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2002, 05:46:46 pm »

Thanks, Mavrick.  It's been a little hairy, but we're all better people for it.

The development process got a real boost when we opened it up to this group of people.  We could try ideas out.  They could.  We learned more quickly what worked and didn't work.  This forum is our lifeblood now.  We couldn't exist without it.

It's nice to have the company, too.

I appreciate your taking time to say how you felt.

Jim
Jim Hillegass

maleman

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2002, 06:56:14 pm »

Jim,
I have always been completely impressed not only with the level of professionalism of all of the employees of JRiver, but more importantly (IMHO) how you interact (no pun on the board name) with all testers, customers, etc.

When I first read the section on the “concern” of the "multiple machine" licensing issue, I thought the people who posted that REALLY do not understand anything about software development and the HUGE costs associated with it.  Most companies that provide the ability to install “where one pleases” do not offer the ability to contribute to the development of a product.  In my opinion, I feel I’ve committed grand larceny by ONLY paying 25.00 for the software; I would have paid many times over.  “You want it for free, you get what I give you” is the attitude of most other companies.  Does anyone here know where I can personally contact someone @Adobe and tell them a few features I would like to see added it Acrobat Reader?

When I purchase a piece of software, I always assume that it is for use on one computer; not that it should be installed on several computers and assume “it is okay” if I use only one 'active' copy.  Does one have the ability to license MS software once for use on both their desktop and laptop, since they only can use one at a time?  

To that end, one can state that you (JRiver) allowing the use on several computers in an individual's home is truly a breakthrough and only, and IMHO, I’ve only seen this ability in "junk" software or shareware.  Visionary people, at times, make radical decisions that “rock the industry” in hopes of stimulating change.  I do not know if that is what you had in mind, but I think it might make great press J

I commend JRiver's ability to listen to its public and make fair comprises to satisfy all parties.  Kudos to you.

FYI: I would pay for a Pro version that offered more features, etc, as previously mentioned in the licensing issue thread; I know great developers are hard to come by, and more difficult to keep…

My thoughts,
Mike

Rockin Rob

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2002, 09:33:49 pm »

I have been happily using MJ 7.2 and have just installed 8.0 beta.  The program is not accepting my license when I attempt a restore license, reporting to me that is not a current license for 8.0.  I have the license backed up on a floppy and works fine on MJ 7.2.  Jim, can you help me solve this ever-so-small issue?

Thanks.

rob juneau
New Orleans

eso

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2002, 11:38:15 pm »

So, does that mean that without a working internet connection and available JRiver servers I will not be able to install Media Jukebox? With technical problems on my side, at the internet provider, some internet hub, the JRiver hosting, or (god forbid!) JRiver out of business - NO Media Jukebox installation anymore?

If so, this is a horrible license!

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2002, 05:26:47 am »

Rockin Rob - look at your license file. What number does it have 6 or 7? If 6 then it won't work with 8 - you need to purchase again.
Namaste,
John

zevele1

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2002, 07:37:09 am »

To JRiver CHAPEAU! The way you ask us and many many times take our opinions in consideration
GOOD LUCK for the new 8

Nila
I may be wrong but from an other post i understand you still have to buy MediaJukebox
In this case,just buy 7.2 and you will still have the floppy restore licence way working with 8.And be ok for a while.I you want to do it,look like you have to buy fast.8 will be out soon

JimH

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2002, 09:50:06 am »

I've deleted some messages that were not related to the topic.

Eso,
> So, does that mean that without a working internet connection and available JRiver servers I will not be able to install Media Jukebox?

No, it doesn't mean that.  Please see the FAQ in the first message of this thread.  You can copy an install key to another PC.

The registration code you receive on purchasing is permanent and can be used forever to generate install keys.  The install keys have a two-week lifetime to allow you to move them to other machines.  Once used, the installation is permanent until a reformat or disk crash, etc.
Jim Hillegass

eso

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2002, 11:10:40 am »

JímH:

So, does that mean that without a working internet connection and available JRiver servers I will not be able to install Media Jukebox?

No, it doesn't mean that. Please see the FAQ in the first message of this thread. You can copy a registration code to another PC.

Yes but only within two weeks of the purchase, if I understand it right. That means that if I don't have access to the JRiver server after these two weeks (for whatever reason) I will not be able to (re-)install Media Jukebox. I know that the Internet seems to be ubiquitous nowadays, but there are still so many cases where this really isn't true.

Such a restrictive license will quite probably not improve your market position - who will really buy a software he cannot use anymore if the company producing it should go out of business? But the existing and supporting customers have to "suffer" because of some (IMHO) irrational "fear" of customers which could copy the product they bought.

Badger

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2002, 11:14:10 am »

I thought I understood the new licensing scheme, but now I must admit I'm confused (and I've read the FAQs)

Jim, you told "eso" there is no need for an internet connection to install MJ because you can copy the license/reg to another PC.  Is this true only for 2 weeks after you download?  If this is the case, do my two weeks start when I download or after I install for the first time.

eso

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2002, 11:30:51 am »

Jim

from the FAQ:
I bought my license a month ago, but when I try to reinstall it, it won’t work.

Each license can be installed only for a short period of time (usually 2 weeks).

As you can see, I read the FAQ. At the worst, I hope I can live with this until you change it again. But what I really want to say is that in my opinion you make a BIG mistake by basically crippling your product with such a license.

I would even be willing to pay $50 for a real license instead of $25 for the promise that the software will at least work for two weeks.

JimH

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2002, 12:10:16 pm »

eso_
I just added a couple of definitions to the page.  We're also changing the terminology everywhere to help clarify this.

As I've said before, we made these changes to solve some nagging problems.  Our intent is to provide a better, friendlier license system.  If we've made some mistakes along the way, we'll try to fix them.  I can guarantee you a better, easier to use system.  It's different, but it is better.  

Jim
Jim Hillegass

sally

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2002, 01:51:54 pm »

Can we just use a version 7 license for unlimited version 8 installs, on unlimited machines that we own, for unlimited time?

JimH

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2002, 03:29:17 pm »

Sally,
A version 7 license will work for version 8.0 when we release it.  No guarantees at all after that.

Jim
Jim Hillegass

nyc-ink

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2002, 04:49:55 pm »

Hey Jim
I still am using my version 6 license as I frankly didn't see a reason to pay for the upgrade to 7, but am willing to pay to upgrade to 8.  However I only have an AMEX card not a visa or master card.  Why not a pay by check option or other major credit cards, isn't the idea to make it possible for as many people to purchase as possible?
Brian

JimH

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2002, 04:57:52 pm »

Brian,
It's great to see you here again.  I've wondered where you've been many times.

Jim
Jim Hillegass

swilburn

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2002, 04:15:11 am »

First, I would like to say that I have always been impressed with the responsiveness of JRiver to us, the users.  I know of no other software developer that pays this level of attention to what the users want (with the possible exception of IMSI, who also has a user forum similar to this one!).  For large companies I guess its just not practicle, while others just don't much care (Microsoft comes to mind).  As far as licensing goes, I am not completely thrilled with the new method, but its probably not going to kill me (in truth, it will likely not be any problem - I just don't like the implications and don't feel it is fair to users).

As far as licensing agreements from other companies:  I know that both Adobe and Corel allow the installation of their software on multiple computers - you just can't run two copies at the same time.  Also, Adobe does allow the transfer of their license from one user to another - as long as you follow their rules (complete removal from original computer, etc.).  I guess the point is that other companies also have some flexibility in licensing (I'm not sure you could transfer a MJ license), and these programs can be re-installed as many times as necessary with no penalty to the user.  Of course neither of these companies pays the level of attention to individual users that JRiver does, and the software generally more expensive.  That's why I am a user and hope to stay one.

urlybird

MJ8.0.267 RE:Version 8.0 License/Purchase FAQ
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2002, 07:31:37 am »

a) I have a license for MediaJukebox

b) I have been downloading and running several versions for Beta 8

c) now when I do a "About Media Jukebox" it indicates Register To: user name unknown

d) if I do a Help | Backup license it indicates it will create a MediaJukebox7.rrg not 8 ?

e) I can not do a restore license because Help | Restore License is dimmed out

It appears like I am half registered and I can't restore license - what should I do ?

Thanks !

gateley

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2002, 07:47:31 am »

This message has been fixed in the latest beta.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up