INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC sometimes does not react to M-SEARCH  (Read 2193 times)

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
  • You don't know what you're missing until its gone
MC sometimes does not react to M-SEARCH
« on: April 22, 2012, 10:19:56 am »

Hi Bob,

I put a question on the Third Party Board about a problem I have with M-SEARCH. Could you take a look please?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=71659.0;topicseen

Regards
Paul Sinnema

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC sometimes does not react to M-SEARCH
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:36:50 pm »

There are a few possibilities. First, I assume you are using a fairly recent version of MC17...

1) MC hasn't finished initializing it's network stack when you are sending the M-SEARCH. This would only be the case if you had just started up MC and expected it to respond instantly. If you aren't viewing the Media Network status screen, it can take a minute before MC's Media Network is ready to go after startup.

2) UDP isn't guaranteed delivery. This is why all of the SSDP stuff sends multiple times. There can be collisions, etc that cause MC to miss a SSDP broadcast. There should be a certain amount of delay between SSDP broadcasts too..

3) WMS is running on the same PC and causing some sort of contention (this is speculative).

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:36:48 am »

Hi Bob,

1) No, MC is running constantly during development. That's not the case.

2) I send a M-SEARCH every 8 seconds (with a timeout of 4 seconds in the M-SEARCH message). I guess that's more then enough.

Code: [Select]
M-SEARCH * HTTP/1.1
HOST:239.255.255.250:1900
MAN:"ssdp:discover"
MX:4
ST:urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:X-JRiver-Library-Server:1

3) What does WMS stand for? (Wireless Messaging Service?).

Regards
Paul

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:41:25 am »

Ah, Stands for 'Windows Media Services'. No not active on this PC (Windows 7 Ultimate).

Regards
Paul

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 12:13:52 pm »

Hi Paul,
I'm not seeing anything obviously wrong in the code.
Do you have a vmware or virtualbox installation on your MC PC? I've seen some references to their virtual ethernet interfaces causing trouble with multicast packet reception.

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 06:46:53 am »

Hi Bob,

Yep, both of them. That could explain it. It's a bit difficult for me to uninstall them at the moment because I need them for my work on a regular basis. I'll take a look at it as soon as it is possible.

Regards
Paul

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 02:51:57 am »

Hi Bob,

Well I have the same problem on another system. I've got a Mac Mini running Windows XP. I've installed the latest version of MC on there. There are no virtual machines installed on this system. The problem remains the same.

I do think it is possible that it has something to do with the Windows Phone Emulator. I've also tried reproducing this problem on a Windows Phone without luck so far. In other words. The problem happens on the Emulator but so far not on a Windows Phone.

Regards
Paul

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 10:14:19 am »

Hi Paul,
So you're running the emulator inside of XP and MC on XP isn't seeing all of the M-Search packets (but an actual windows phone on the network does)?

If so, it's pretty complicated as far as who gets what for multicast packets. When you run the emulator, it's quite similar to what happens when running VirtualBox or VMWare with respect to the machine's network stack..

Also, if I've got your setup right, you might want to be certain to run MC after the Emulator and if you stop the emulator, stop and restart MC otherwise it might not see the virtual interface the emulator added.

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 08:16:48 pm »

Hi Bob,

Well you almost got it right. I've got my PC 'Speedy' which is an Intel I7 4-core (8 hyperthreaded) running Windows 7. I've also got a Mac Mini 'Muziek' (Music in Dutch) running Windows XP.

There is the Chicken-Egg problem again. When I start MC after the Emulator starts MC Remote will not find MC. If I start MC before the Emulator MC will not discover the virtual network adaptor added. Hmmmmm.... well the problem is not that disturbing at the moment. I sometimes have to wait 1 or 2 minutes before MC Remote discovers MC but most of the time it finds it immediately. I guess I'll live with that. If the need arises I can always add extra debugging code that connects using predefined settings (which I should not forget to remove in the final release ;-)

The main thing is that the version running on the phone always works immediately. From my point of view we can close the subject.

Regards
Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up