INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server startup problem  (Read 1790 times)

alerma

• Recent member
Media Server startup problem
« on: April 22, 2012, 10:36:29 am »

Noticed something strange about using MC as media server. I use MC's DLNA server for sharing media content across my house. If for some reason a machine with media server restarts, then MC media server doesn't start up till I initiate a user session by connecting to the server machine via Remote Connection.
The option in MC "Run on Windows Startup: Media Server" is enabled. I use MC of version 17.0.117. Suggestions?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Server startup problem
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 06:46:06 pm »

It may not matter, but you could update to a later build.

Are you running more than one copy of Media Server?

alerma

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 01:13:30 am »

I've updated to the latest build 129, but it doesn't help. And I use one copy of MC as a media server.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 04:01:01 am »

You HAVE to log on to windows with a user account, because the option to start on startup is actually start on log in. So, for each restart you have to log in to the server. There are ways of making services out of executables, so you can run it on startup, but I don't know if that would be successful as MC probably depend somewhat on the user account that MC is started in.

For the XP days you also had something called Powertoys, which allowed a XP client to automatically log on with a user. If you can use a similar application for your OS, this might be the simples way to deal with this problem. I would google ways of logging the user on automatically if I were you and had to have this function. Remember that security will be worse though. For most home users however, this has little impact.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

alerma

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 07:23:59 am »

Thanks for explanation, it is quite frustrating. It means MC 'media server' cannot be run as unattended server...

Any plans to make the 'Media Server' part of MC as a REAL Windows 7 service? By definition, services are different from “regular” user applications because you can configure a service to run from the time a system starts up (boots) until it shuts down, without requiring an active user to be present – that is, services can run without having any users logged on.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 07:34:19 am »

I would like that too. It all depends on how reliant MC really is on the given user profile I guess. I don't think we've ever gotten a real answer to how complicated it would be, so it would just be guesses from my part. I would try to figure out some other way of accomplishing this in the meanwhile though. We've seen requests for this for some years now, so it might take a long time before we see it.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 07:44:18 am »

In the past, people have reported success using a utility that can run any program as a service.  I've forgotten the name.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 11:59:20 am »

Quote from: JimH
I've forgotten the name.

this thread has info on a few http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69255.0
MT5FR
Pages: [1]   Go Up