INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storing Cover art  (Read 877 times)

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
Storing Cover art
« on: May 05, 2012, 12:44:35 pm »

From the Wiki
Cover Art has 3 options
 Location Rule and Path: Select where you want Cover Art stored on your computer.: Save the Cover Art in a specific folder (set the path in the next field).
Save it next to the file, wherever that file resides, and name it folder.jpg
Save it next to the file, wherever that file resides, and name it according to the [Artist] – [Album] rule.

Also store image in the file's tag:If you want to also include the cover art in the file itself (when the file format supports this). This will increase the file size, but your image will permanently be associated with the file.

As I alwys store the cover art inside the file I can imagine a 4th option: don't store the cover art in the file system.

rick.ca

Re: Storing Cover art
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 03:33:49 pm »

Although MC displays thumbnails in most cases, I've always assumed it still needs a separate image file (rather than an embedded one) for performance reasons. :-\

Vincent Kars

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 03:48:23 pm »

There is an option to build thumbnails (Tools > Import > Auto import) but I wonder if this is related to the storage of the cover art.
It might creates a cache of its own.

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 04:04:51 pm »

It might creates a cache of its own.

The thumbnails, of course, are cached, and I believe there are small, medium and large versions of them. But in some cases, the original image is displayed (e.g., just like an image in the library is when 'played'). And the building or rebuilding of thumbnails is probably much faster when separate image files are available.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 04:10:34 pm »

Sounds plausible, just like storing tags in a databse
Thanks

Pages: [1]   Go Up