INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outputting S/PDIF digital to Benchmark DAC1  (Read 18473 times)

ARW

Outputting S/PDIF digital to Benchmark DAC1
« on: May 06, 2012, 07:29:37 pm »

I am building a PC for my CD collection for FLAC File format and high end audio utilizing MC 17 only.    I currently have a Benchmark DAC 1 w/o USB input that I have been using with a CD transport via digital cable.

Will I have an audio quality loss using the S/PDIF digital output on my mother board or should I get a separate audio card just to pass the digital signal to the DAC1?
  The small silent PC case has a 250 watt power supply which will be fine to pass the signal via the motherboard. Will it be powerful enough to power an audio card if I need it?
   The video will be handled by the Intel HD2000-I3 2100 so I won't have a video card.

Any suggestions and thoughts are appreciated.       

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
  • World Class Referance Playback!
Re: Outputting S/PDIF digital to Benchmark DAC1
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 05:01:55 pm »

For best results use a decent 24/192 USB to SPDIF Converter between your PC and DAC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 05:36:14 pm »

In either case, it's a digital signal.

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
  • World Class Referance Playback!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 06:05:42 pm »

In either case, it's a digital signal.

Ya but it doesn’t pass on the noisy grunge that the SPDIF does. Good converters provide Ultra-low jitter SPDIF output, asynchronous USB transfer; Fixed-frequency clocks can be used because the master clock circuitry can now be in the audio device which also provides much lower jitter results in better signal transfer. It also can provide galvanic isolation to isolate RF noise from the PC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 06:15:47 pm »

Ya but it doesn’t pass on the noisy grunge that the SPDIF does. Good converters provide Ultra-low jitter SPDIF output, asynchronous USB transfer; Fixed-frequency clocks can be used because the master clock circuitry can now be in the audio device which also provides much lower jitter results in better signal transfer. It also can provide galvanic isolation to isolate RF noise from the PC.
I'm sorry, but I don't buy it.  The PC talks with whatever device that's next in the chain and delivers a pure stream of digital data.  What that next device does is up to it.  It can do the digital to analog conversion well or it can do it poorly, and this is completely separate from the issue of what connection delivers the data.

But I think this is off topic.  If you want to continue, please start a new thread.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 06:17:42 pm »

Will I have an audio quality loss using the S/PDIF digital output on my mother board ...
No.  S/PDIF is fine.

pcstockton

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 08:14:48 pm »

it isn't that simple on either side.  But I would agree that unless you have a VERY resolving system, you should hear little to no difference.

-patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 09:45:48 pm »

Running on an older post (Media Center 15.0.73 & Benchmark HDR DAC setup is superb.)

Indeed!!...Old post but still applies Today!! Optical vs a USB hookup but do not agree with the direct sound part in the old thread. Using the Motherboard optical output is very good in my case...The DAC1 just opened up and finally everyone is in its place soundstage wise!!!!
A lot closer to my dearly beloved vinyl setup!!! Currently running 19.0.121

I know I know...COAX should be better than optical...Crappy mobo optical output should be awful but what can I say...My ears don't lie!!!!!!!!! It just sounds silky smooth, not to forward and "boxy"and cold..still the transparent and neutral DAC1 sound which I love....

Made me fall in love again with my benchmark I was about to change....
Pages: [1]   Go Up