INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library server always fails first try  (Read 1872 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Library server always fails first try
« on: May 13, 2012, 03:09:17 pm »

In the past few weeks, Media Center library server client always fails after first launching it.  I am running within Virtualbox.  When I click retry, it 95% of the time works.  So I have to wait 30 seconds for loading to fail, then retry, and it works.  Why is this?

lowjoel

• World Citizen
Re: Library server always fails first try
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:23:16 pm »

I've been seeing similar behaviour, running MC17's server on a Win2k8 Server box (not virtual). I can't isolate it, because I thought it was one of those things...

Any tips on how to isolate this? I find that when I do have the problem, even amidst many Retry Loading Library commands, I can still telnet into the server:port.

benn600

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 11:29:11 pm »

Glad you are seeing the same problem.  I thought I was going crazy, I know this issue didn't used to exist.  Even if waiting for my Windows box to boot up and giving it plenty of time (10 minutes) it still fails on the first try.

lowjoel

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 11:31:00 pm »

I find that new server instances tend to see this problem less, my server can run for days without rebooting (sometimes I reboot it once a month just to patch Windows) and I find that restarting MC17 does seem to resolve the problem (at least for the first few connects...)

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:47:14 am »

Glad you are seeing the same problem.  I thought I was going crazy, I know this issue didn't used to exist.  Even if waiting for my Windows box to boot up and giving it plenty of time (10 minutes) it still fails on the first try.

I get the same. But not consistently.  I have one PC in the kitchen that ALWAYS seems to have a issue connecting to our media server (running on my PC downstairs). This usually occurs when the box is woke up from hibernation - but not always. Takes me a couple tries to the get it to connect properly.

I have tested the network on this box and have found no issues. The only thing that is different (from an MC perspective) is that this instance of MC does not participate in the "active" channel with respect to updates. I have this instance set to "stable"...but I can't see how that would be a huge deal.

Definitely annoying.

VP

benn600

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 01:13:06 pm »

I also see "something went wrong with playback" about 1/4 of the times I try to play a song.  That frequency of occurrence is also employed during automatic track switching.  I am on a dual-WAN network, although I don't think that would cause this problem.

lowjoel

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 06:14:26 pm »

In my case, I manually update my library server, if that somehow helps with diagnosis.
Pages: [1]   Go Up