INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does MC monitor user activities?  (Read 1116 times)

billg

• Recent member
Does MC monitor user activities?
« on: May 08, 2012, 07:00:07 pm »

Hi there

I don't want to be alarmist but I was surprised when Zonealarm notified me MC wanted to "monitor user activities" and this can be used to log keystrokes.
I denied this activity. It ocurred when I restarted MC after installing the latest version 17.0.147 (was prev on 136). Any idea what caused this to happen?

Cheers, Bill

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Does MC monitor user activities?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 07:02:00 pm »

There is no monitoring or reporting.

We register for a couple hotkeys to catch media keys like play and volume.

You might report the false-positive to Zonealarm.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 07:32:28 pm »

Zonealarm gets excited about MC about twice a year.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 07:50:07 pm »

I was skeptical of them for a long time (ever since Zone Labs got bought by Check Point, really), but I lost all respect for them when they had a string of things like this last year.

Computer security firms walk a fine line between legitimate services and shady protection rackets.  And, the public (free) release of MSSE has largely driven them to sink lower and lower into terrible marketing methods that are only a shade above "real scareware".

I don't know.  MSSE is quite good, friendly on the system resources, generally well-behaved, and supported by Microsoft.  For a firewall, if you want good protection, there are plenty of simple ways to turn an old PC into a good stateful firewall, and the software firewall built into Windows 7 isn't too shabby either (if updated and run behind a NAT as most people do).  I run an Astaro Security Gateway (free for home use) on an old Athlon XP motherboard that has been going strong for years.  It is powerful, relatively easy to use (compared to pfsense or whatever) and easy to keep updated.  I'm very pleased with that solution, plus MSSE and the Windows firewall where appropriate.  There are lots of other options for "firewall on a disc" type systems, and even if you don't have one, it is easy and cheap to pick up an old PC on Craig's List or whatever.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up