INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your iPod could not be properly identified (17.0.144)  (Read 5329 times)

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
Your iPod could not be properly identified (17.0.144)
« on: May 10, 2012, 03:33:44 am »

I've just connected my iPod, which used to work perfectly finr from Media Center 15.xx.xxx or so, to a machine running 17.0.144. Media Center responded with:

Your iPod could not be properly identified.
Please check for an updated version of Media Center.
iPod type: ",",0,0

It's a 160GB classic, one of the last Ipods that would work with Media Center. I can see config info for that iPod in my registry, but MC is obviously not connecting the two. The iPod is working fine on the file system level.

I'm a little desperate, as I'm going on a business trip tomorrow, and need my music and audiobook fix (; . If there's anything I can do to narrow down the problem, or a quick fix (like copying some kind of definition file for mobile device identification), please let me know ASAP.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
Re: Your iPod could not be properly identified (17.0.144)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 06:47:31 am »

Argh. This is not an iPod problem per se, it seems to be a bug in MC. That's why I've posted in the MC17 section. The thread is bound to disappear without an answer here I think.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 06:49:12 am »

This is an ipod problem.  I'm sorry.  We just can't waste development time on a platform where we aren't welcome.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 06:54:03 am »

Double-Argh. It's not an iPod problem, even though it has "iPod" in the title.

The same device used to work with a prior build of MC17 (can't remember which one). The fact that the device is detected as "empty" (no string values in the error message) hints towards a MC bug I think.

Just to make that perfectly clear: I'm talking about one of the lates iPods with an unecrypted database. The device has been well supported by MC for a few years now.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 06:58:37 am »

Your choices are:

Use iTunes

Use MC15, though the iPod OS was probably updated by iTunes and MC15 now won't work

Use one of the Third Party solutions. 

I'm really sorry for your loss, but we aren't spending any time on iPods until Apple welcomes third party support.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 07:16:27 am »

The iPod hasn't been touched by iTunes. It wouldn't be updated anyways because it's not a "latest and greatest" model, and there are no firmware updates available for it. In fact, I've never installed iTunes in my life, even though I've been using iPods since the very first incarnation. If I wanted to use iTunes I wouldn't be posting here, would I. The device was working fine with an earlier build of MC17. 17, not 15. Using 15 (with 17's database) wouldn't be a feasible solution, as the db format has changed between 15 and 17 I think.

I think the problem is a small one, and could be fixed easily. It's not about iPod support per se, but about detecting the device. Unless you've removed functionality from MC, the fix is probably easy to do. I can still see a lot of iPod related strings in hh_portable.dll, so the functionality still seems to be there.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 09:52:34 am »

The device was working fine with an earlier build of MC17. 17, not 15. Using 15 (with 17's database) wouldn't be a feasible solution, as the db format has changed between 15 and 17 I think.

Just drop back to a build of 17.x that worked.

FWIW - my 120 GB Classic is working fine in all version of v15, v16 and now v17. One thing I always do - is completely wipe the iPod before using it in ANY new version of MC and let MC right a new db etc etc.

Q: Does your iPod come up in Windows first - as an available drive? Or Device? Without MC running. If it doesn't - you have other issues to fix first.

Cheers,

VP

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 01:46:43 pm »

I have two 160GB iPods (a v1 and a v2) that I synced last week just fine. Don't know what version of MC17 I was running. I will sync tonight to see if anything was broken in later versions.

contium

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Your iPod could not be properly identified (17.0.144)
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 05:54:21 pm »

Both of my 160Gb iPod classics are syncing correctly with 17.0.151.

thomas99

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 02:12:35 am »

I am getting

Your iPod could not be properly identified

Please check for an updated version of Media Center.

iPod Type 'DCYDHKY8DCMP',",1452,4710

As their is no newer version what can be done about it? and please do not say this is an Apple issue as it worked before.

Thanks for any POSITIVE responses from the JRiver
Pages: [1]   Go Up