INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing an update always requires a reboot first  (Read 2821 times)

ajowers

• World Citizen
Installing an update always requires a reboot first
« on: May 25, 2012, 01:17:56 pm »

I am on MC17 latest and greatest.

When I get notified there is a new release, and tell it to update, mc closes and the installer kicks in.  It will get to a point and give me an error with a "try again" button.  It gives me a file name but I cant remember that right now.

I think some .dll files are still in use and can't be overwritten.  I reboot the machine and relaunch the update and it works just fine.

This seemed to start the moment I installed and configured the AudioPhilleo 2 custom WASAPI driver.

This is a minor annoyance but I wish it did not happen.  Could it be related to that driver ?  For a couplpe of years I was using the MUSILAND driver with WASAPI and never had this issue.

Has anyone else experienced this and can I provide some additional info to help with this problem ?

Thanks in advance.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Installing an update always requires a reboot first
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 01:50:47 pm »

Has anyone else experienced this and can I provide some additional info to help with this problem ?

I think we all see this occasionally, but certainly not with every single installation.

Knowing what DLL is in use might help.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 02:09:04 pm »

Thanks.  As soon as a new release is available, I will write that down or take a screen shot and reply back on this topic.

Is a new release coming any time soon ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 02:19:40 pm »

Thanks.  As soon as a new release is available, I will write that down or take a screen shot and reply back on this topic.

Is a new release coming any time soon ?

Jim just pushed one to the forum today.  17.0.160 is out now.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 04:24:50 pm »

I get the message every install (not actually every install since it does work 1% of the time) that JRTools.dll is still in use. I reported back in November 2011 and have mentioned it in several other threads.

rlebrette

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 01:33:04 am »

I get the same message but only on the PC where MC is running as a Media Server.

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 07:28:58 am »

Unbelievable....! and typical.

I loaded yesterday's release and I did NOT get the issue !!!  ;D

Damn.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 07:33:52 am »

When the install stops and the error appears, you can open the Task Manager and kill the process "JRService.exe" Click "Retry" and the installation will proceed normally without the need for a reboot.

I don't know what part of the automated install is causing the service to not terminate properly. I'm on Vista myself, and like mojave, I get the message nearly every time I upgrade.

brad

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 07:37:30 am »

I would also see the error message about "JR Image" or "JR Tools" is still in use. Iwould have to reboot the computer to do the MC update. Sometimes I would see it on the server, sometimes on a client. However, I have not seen this error in the last couple of updates - so maybe its fixed, or maybe my computer is just playing nice with MC lately.

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 09:12:07 am »

I am nearly positive that the JRTOOLS is also the one it always stopped on.  I am so surprised I did not get the issue this time. Murphy's Laws.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 02:31:47 pm »

Just failed on install of ver 17.0.161. I spoke too soon. It was JRImage.dll that was "still running" causing the install to error. The install was on my server computer (Win7 x32). No problem installing update on my client machines.
I have no process/service called "JRService.exe" shown in the task manager after the failure. Perhaps it closed properly. There is a service called "Media Center 17"  listed in Task Manager, but it was already Stopped. I just rebooted the computer and reinstalled. As always, the second attempt worked.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 02:21:22 am »

I used to get the same error on nearly every update, after a new install of Win 7 I no longer get the error.
Some times when I opened Task Manager only JRService.exe would be running and others Media Center 17.exe
was also still running, along with the installer of course.
I was confident that it was a Windows issue and it turns out I was correct, I was due for a reinstall anyway
as I was seeing some odd behavior in MC and other programs that I don't normally see. I try out a ton of
different software so my Windows install can get pretty messy from time to time.
Sean

CountryBumkin

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 08:15:25 am »

I hope you're right Scolex, but I have a feeling you will be seeing the install error again. My server runs nothing but JRiver, AnyDVD, MakeMKV, and CloneDVD. It's clean.
To me, the error is not a big deal. Rebooting every once in while is okay. After all this is a beta program, and each update brings more featurers and improvements.

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 09:55:59 am »

Ok, It has been several updates since I originally posted this topic.  All but one failed with the jrtools.dll.

On my system I am running the server as well.  could the problem be that the install needs to shut down the server before applying the update ?

If this cant be fixed could a work around be created?  For example, create a new setting, called "reboot/Autoapply on failed install" or something like this.

Then when the install starts and you get specific messages pertaining to .dll files that require a reboot to unload, then have the install (after a timing delay) reboot.  THen on reboot, launch the install as you do now but instead of just sitting there waiting on the user to click "retry", how about just starting the install if the user has the new option checked.

I do not have a mouse or keyboard on my system.  It would be nicer if this issue was coded around and automated.

Your thoughts ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 10:23:33 am »

Installing a new version does shut down Media Server if it's running.

One or two others have reported the jrtools problem.  I don't know the reason.  Perhaps the server is in use by someone else.  A different user on the same machine?

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 10:37:44 am »

I do not have any other clients on my network right now so I don't think its that.  Could there be an issue with the driver associated with the Audiophilleo?  Could another .dll like this somehow cause the jrtools.dll not to unload? I dont know what happens in jrtools.dll but if the wasapi connection to the ap driver is made here then maybe it can't "disconnect" from wasapi and thus fails to unload when the applications unload.

I remember not having this issue until I installed the AP transport.
Pages: [1]   Go Up