INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: You did what to your projector?  (Read 4444 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
You did what to your projector?
« on: May 29, 2012, 06:44:35 pm »

This weekend I found the most expensive thing in my house (projector), took it apart, and broke it.

My Epson 3010 had developed a dust blob.  Epson warranties against this, and would have mailed me a replacement projector for free.  But I didn't want to be a problem customer.

So I opened it up and intended to fix it myself.  In my defense, I did this with my old Panasonic projector and it turned out great.

But this time, I managed to totally destroy the connectors between the main board and LCD panels.  I lost a clip, couldn't figure out how to replace the remaining two clips, and broke a cable trying to make it work without the clips.

I spent two days just sick over the mistake.  I apologized to my wife a lot.

On Monday, I decided to call Epson.  "I did something really stupid..."

They put me on hold.  Then came back "Normally that would void the warranty.  But we'll make a one-time exception and overnight you a replacement for free."

I was totally amazed.  I said thank you, cried a little, and promised not to "fix" the replacement myself ;D
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Re: You did what to your projector?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 07:39:39 pm »

...On Monday, I decided to call Epson.  "I did something really stupid..."...
Looks like this was the smartest thing you could have done under the circumstances ;)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 02:26:12 am »

Haha! Wish I could see your face when they came back and said that ;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 12:10:16 am »

Wow.  That was amazing of Epson.

Wish they'd treated me that well with my Stylus Pro 3800 printer that never fed paper right and eventually refused to feed it at all.  But that was years ago (before Mpix when I stopped caring about printers) and I imagine their displays group is a totally separate group anyway.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 09:29:38 pm »

This weekend I found the most expensive thing in my house (projector), took it apart, and broke it.

My Epson 3010 had developed a dust blob.  Epson warranties against this, and would have mailed me a replacement projector for free.  But I didn't want to be a problem customer.

So I opened it up and intended to fix it myself.  In my defense, I did this with my old Panasonic projector and it turned out great.

But this time, I managed to totally destroy the connectors between the main board and LCD panels.  I lost a clip, couldn't figure out how to replace the remaining two clips, and broke a cable trying to make it work without the clips.

I spent two days just sick over the mistake.  I apologized to my wife a lot.

On Monday, I decided to call Epson.  "I did something really stupid..."

They put me on hold.  Then came back "Normally that would void the warranty.  But we'll make a one-time exception and overnight you a replacement for free."

I was totally amazed.  I said thank you, cried a little, and promised not to "fix" the replacement myself ;D

Hi Matt. Thanks for this post. It made me smile. Especially the bit about apologizing to the wife "a lot" because this is the kind of mess I constantly get myself into as well. I have this compulsion to fix things myself, even when it's not necessarily the best course of action.

I must say, kudos to Epson for delivering when you needed them the most. Their long warranties and good support (for projectors at least) is one of the main reasons I chose them recently for my latest projector purchase.

Cheers.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

sunfire7

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 02:27:18 pm »

:o Amazing story, thanks for sharing Matt it also made me laugh a lot  :D
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish
Pages: [1]   Go Up