INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Changing Arbitrarily [solved]  (Read 1600 times)

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Volume Changing Arbitrarily [solved]
« on: June 03, 2012, 09:12:18 am »

Recently the MC volume has started dropping to around 5%-10% due to certain random circumstances. Today it is happening on my client machine which is linked to the Playing Now of my HTPC/Server. Every track change the volume drops down to inaudible levels. In addition to this the volume slider "fights" me when I try to turn it up using the mouse. It's as though some internal control is trying to turn it back down (but it pulls less hard than I do). I'm fairly baffled by all this and it seems like buggy behavior. Has anyone else experienced this or have suggestions for avoiding this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Volume Changing Arbitrarily
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 10:21:26 am »

Try turning off volume protection in options for audio.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Volume Changing Arbitrarily
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 11:07:24 am »

This appears to be working. Thank you.

What is the purpose of "volume protection"? I thought it was related to the clip-protection feature found in DSP Studio, but clearly I was mistaken.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Volume Changing Arbitrarily [solved]
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:25:15 pm »

Matt, based on the description in the Wiki there it seems like there might be some bugs involved here somewhere. I left details below. I'm not going to complain any as I don't feel an overwhelming need to keep the feature turned on, but if there's any further information that I could provide you, let me know.

Volume protection does the following:
Makes it so that it isn't possible to increase the volume by more than 5% at a time (so accidentally clicking 100% on the slider will not go to 100%)
For me, the volume seemed to actually decrease rather than avoid increasing. This could just be GUI issue though. I see a "spasming" volume slider when I click and pull.

Makes it so that starting playback if nothing has played for 30 minutes sets the volume to 20% (unless the volume is already lower)
I was definitely seeing the volume change between tracks in a playlist, so the "nothing playing for 30 minutes" bit was not being followed.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 08:45:37 pm »

I was definitely seeing the volume change between tracks in a playlist, so the "nothing playing for 30 minutes" bit was not being followed.

I run Volume Protection at home and haven't seen this.

Can you reproduce this easily?  Any clues?  Could you send me a log (Help > Logging)?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 06:54:30 am »

Someone else said that it had to do with the track change effect in use.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 12:10:26 pm »

I'm not at home currently, but the volume decrease on every track change was happening when using Linked Zones. If I have time tonight I'll try to produce a log.

My track change effect is set to "Crossfade Aggressive: 1s" for all my machines.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 08:22:40 am »

This problem seems to have gone away. My audio was not set up as I thought, so one noteworthy change might be that the crossfade has now actually been changed to "Crossfade Aggressive: 1s". It was at "Crossfade Agressive: 4s". The other change I made was to change from DirectSound to WASAPI: Event Style.
Pages: [1]   Go Up