INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I love my new place (wildlife)  (Read 3875 times)

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
I love my new place (wildlife)
« on: June 06, 2012, 12:44:26 am »

I recently moved to a new home that me and my fiancee are renting from her parents and it is paradise to me due to my love of animals.
3-4 days a week if I look out my back door between 5 and 6am I see something similar to the pics below.
There are 7 total (Mom, Dad, and 5 cubs) never seen them all at once, the most has been 5  twice which was 5 cubs once and the parents plus 3 cubs once.

cubs

cubs

cub on the deck

dad

dad just spotted me through the window

A few more

It really surprises me how much wildlife there is in this little 17 acre woods considering it is basically in the middle of a city.
I have seen Deer, Turkey, obviously Foxes in my backyard as well as all of the other typical animals. Haven't seen many rabbits
though maybe that is why the cubs are growing so fast.
I guess I now know why they named this place Fox Lake.
Sean

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: I love my new place (wildlife)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 01:09:29 am »

Wow, dang... Nice location there.  Is that all permanently protected, or just protected by someone rich who might die?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 01:17:33 am »

It will be passed down to my fiancee, her older brother and sister unless someone coughs up a large sum of money to buy it.
Know anyone that wants to buy 17.5 acres with a ~4500'sq house, marina, and bar/banquet hall attached that is the largest
all wooden structure in the state of Illinois and was Al Capone's hang out on the weekend back in the day.
Bar/banquet hall built in 1888 in the family since 1943, the rest built in the last ~30 years.
Sean

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 01:20:34 am »

Also... As someone who moved from somewhere out in the boonies to somewhere less so but still certainly "natural" (and who, as often as I can, visits places really way out in the boonies) I can say this...

The more room they have to hide, the less likely you are to see the wildlife in the first place.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 01:32:06 am »

It will be passed down to my fiancee, her older brother and sister unless someone coughs up a large sum of money to buy it.
Know anyone that wants to buy 17.5 acres with a ~4500'sq house, marina, and bar/banquet hall attached that is the largest
all wooden structure in the state of Illinois and was Al Capone's hang out on the weekend back in the day.
Bar/banquet hall built in 1888 in the family since 1943, the rest built in the last ~30 years.

Nice!

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 01:36:04 am »

Maine is one of the few states I have not visited but I have always wanted to, I here it is beautiful in the summer and I know it is a sea fishers dream if you love crustaceans and I do.
I went from ugh for miles to the above which is far better. I think my yard is a larger section of dense trees than anywhere in the county I lived and grew up in.

They have enough places to hide but the trees are so dense that the non wooded part of my yard is the only place they can play without slamming into a tree. Watching them run around and wrestle is a true joy.
Sean

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 02:10:16 am »

It is great news. Now you just should had another hobby: photography.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 02:22:19 am »

It is great news. Now you just should had another hobby: photography.

I have always been intrigued by photography but never put the time into it to become more than a low level novice.
I think I have an eye for it but if a person talks iso, aperture, focal length, etc to me they might as well be speaking martian.
Sean

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 08:13:39 am »

Cute But the bad news is that the fox, many times carry rabies.

over 50,000 people die each year from rabies worldwide.

Untamed and Uncut: Rabid Fox Attacks Man

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/untamed-and-uncut-rabid-fox-attacks-man.html

A bat got into my house once and died (not sure if one of my animals killed it, or it may have died from having rabies) with many animals in my care I had the bat tested by the health department, Luckily the bat was clean.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 09:06:26 am »

Scolex, that is a cool looking place. I live in the city, but the 14 mile drive to my office goes through a lot of countryside. I can see deer, fox, turkeys, pheasants, raccoons, skunks, and opossums. Some of these I see most often as roadkill.

According to this website, 6% of foxes in the U.S. carry rabies. 4% of cats carry rabies. I see a lot more cats than foxes, so statistically I am in greater danger of rabies from cats.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 09:45:14 am »

here in NC raccoons have more rabies than anything else.

I wonder what Danial Boone did with the raccoon that he made into a hat, did he eat it?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 10:48:05 am »

over 50,000 people die each year from rabies worldwide.

True, though those scary sounding statistics are worldwide statistics.  Almost all of those deaths occur in Asia (about 31k) and Africa (about 24k), where... Frankly, in the bamboo forests of Burma they're just trying to grow rice and survive the next plague of rats, and probably don't have much time to get educated about rabies (or access to healthcare even if they do know about it).

According to the CDC, while the rabies virus is still very common among unvaccinated wildlife in the US (particularly in bat populations), human deaths from rabies are quite rare, primarily due to public awareness of the disease.  In 2010, there were two confirmed cases of human rabies in the entire US.  That's not deaths from rabies, that's total reported cases (reporting is mandatory if you are treated by a healthcare professional).

In this century, the number of human deaths in the United States attributed to rabies has declined from 100 or more each year to an average of 2 or 3 each year. Two programs have been responsible for this decline. First, animal control and vaccination programs begun in the 1940's and oral rabies vaccination programs in the 2000's have eliminated domestic dogs as reservoirs of rabies in the United States. Second, effective human rabies vaccines and immunoglobulins have been developed.

Statistics are similar in most other developed countries where we have running water, hospitals, and... You know, the Internet and computers that might run JRiver MC.   ;)

In the end... Is it rabies that is going to kill you?  I don't know.  If you get bitten, get checked.  But it is probably much, much more likely to be that quadruple-bacon-cheeseburger you had for lunch, or maybe the toxic smoke emitted by the power plant five states away.

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 01:26:59 pm »

Hi again Sean:

I can teach you something of photography and you will teach me MC and mechanics.
Another proposal is do do a Picnic with MC fellows on your new place. I can cook.

Kind regards and thank you again for your great support.
Best regards
Joao

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 03:57:56 pm »

Another proposal is do do a Picnic with MC fellows on your new place. I can cook.

Now we're talking!
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 04:26:58 pm »

Hi again Sean:

I can teach you something of photography and you will teach me MC and mechanics.

Kind regards and thank you again for your great support.
Best regards
Joao

Deal, I'll teach you mechanics well enough to get a job for a race team if you can teach me photography well enough to get a job for Playboy.
If you come that far I will cook.
Sean

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 01:39:03 am »

For Playboy? No, never!... Do you want me to be guilty of your "worst" dreams???
And they don't pay well enough.
Joao

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 08:44:01 am »

For Playboy? No, never!... Do you want me to be guilty of your "worst" dreams???
And they don't pay well enough.
Joao

It's how they pay that counts!

rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up