INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Hardware Advice from renethx  (Read 5978 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Sandy B Ridge

Re: Video Hardware Advice from renethx
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 02:55:02 pm »

Is that the right link Jim?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 03:25:54 pm »

It is now.  Thanks.

Daydream

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 05:31:01 pm »

This is rather disappointing from a certain angle (but very informative nonetheless, thanks for mentioning this)

Let me see if I get everything right from the tables renethx put up, and how that translates in real life, real builds.

- Intel all-in-one solutions are bad; 2K, 2.5K, 3K because of shaders and full/limited range RGB driver problem, 4K because of still full/limited range RGB driver problem (correct?)
- AMD all in one solutions are bad 'cause they're underpowered / memory speed
- Nvidia cards are good from 430 with DDR3-1600/440/630 up
- AMD cards are good from 7xxx up

How many of those cards are 1 slot low profile cards??? There is no low profile cards (yet) in the entire AMD 7xxx line. Probably just a few Nvidia GT430 and I didn't bother to look at the DDR3-1600 requirement. And that's a card that was released more than 1.5 years ago. And, I would imagine if I want to do any 3D video I'll have to stick with Nvidia solutions (glasses and all), and I don't wanna do that.

So the chances of somebody building a SFF HTPC are rather slim, or the user will have to give up some functionality. Or will build something that is as big as or bigger than the AVR next to it. You can't just build a freaking small machine that does everything. In 2012. This is troubling.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 01:53:59 am »

Regardless of how much time and effort I put into investigating a purchase, I *always* find something dissapointing *after* the purchase.

Not that I worry about it much but still.

If I had read that before I made my purchase I would probably made a different choice but now that I have what I have, I'm not buying another videocard just yet. First I'd need to convince myself that I'm really missing out on something and after reading that entire thread, I have no clue what I'm missing with a HD4000. I mean 'full RGB range issues' and 1 dropped frame every 2 minutes ... I get what that means but seriously, would I ever notice that or is that more like the discussion between a good mp3 and a lossless file ... something no one would ever hear in a double blind lab test?

Jong

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 12:17:02 pm »

Unfortunately the more you get into this stuff the more you notice. I notice one dropped frame in a movie unless it happens in a particularly static place!

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 03:15:29 pm »

I have no clue what I'm missing with a HD4000?

All you are missing is the extra cost, space, power consumption, and heat load of a video card. Intel HD 4000 is great for playing 1080p video. At least it looks perfect to me when playing Red October HQ. I'm using a Panasonic PT-AE3000 projector, an Intel DZ77BH-55K Motherboard, and an i5-3570K processor.

Jong

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 03:26:53 pm »

Ironically, 1080p on a 1080p display is relatively easy as there is no upscaling (at least for luma) or clever 'image improving' that needs to be done. Personally though, I just upgraded to a 3570k AND bought a Sapphire 7750 "Ultimate" GPU (fanless). As someone now on his 5th GPU in 10 years (3rd in 6) that card is amazing. Only gets into the low 40s centigrade with LAV using it for video decoding AND MadVR doing spline 3-tap (on luma) for 720p @1080p. And of course it is totally silent. :)

Z0001

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 05:45:35 am »

Ironically, 1080p on a 1080p display is relatively easy as there is no upscaling (at least for luma) or clever 'image improving' that needs to be done. Personally though, I just upgraded to a 3570k AND bought a Sapphire 7750 "Ultimate" GPU (fanless). As someone now on his 5th GPU in 10 years (3rd in 6) that card is amazing. Only gets into the low 40s centigrade with LAV using it for video decoding AND MadVR doing spline 3-tap (on luma) for 720p @1080p. And of course it is totally silent. :)

How are you finding the passive sapphire? I have a HTPC OrigenAE S16V case and it only has a smallish intake fan. Is heat a problem with the card? I want to run madVR in as high setting as possible (with head room) in ROHQ. Other than knowing I need GDDR5 I don't know what specifically to look for.

Cheers
Z

Jong

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 11:17:43 am »

I am very very happy with my 7750 :) My first, real, "no compromise" card, at least until I want to do UHD!

It runs really cool, nothing like earlier fanless cards I have used, but like all fanless cards they do need reasonable case airflow over the heatsink. I'm lucky I have a spacious (Silverstone LC20M) case and I get the temps I mentioned with case fans basically idling. I can't speak for the airflow in your case, but unless you know it is poor I'd say you have got a very good chance of it being fine.

Z0001

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 01:39:33 am »

Any idea how the Radeon R7 250 compares? XFX do a passive version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up