INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I can't get Power Management to kick in [SOLVED]  (Read 2800 times)

ajowers

• World Citizen
I can't get Power Management to kick in [SOLVED]
« on: June 28, 2012, 12:45:36 pm »

Hi,

I am sure this must be a windows issue but I have decided to leave my media center/Server on all the time so I can use other computers and gizmo at any time to access the audio files.

I am on Win 7 64bit.  I used the power management dialog and told windows to shut off display in 10 minutes.

I have left the computer runnung MC in and out of Theater Mode but the display never turns off.  I have the Zotac NM10 board and I use an HDMI cable out to the TV.

Is there anything that MC could be doing like a keep alive to disable the power management ?  Screen Saver is also disabled.

Any suggestions from anyone on this Windows issue ?

ajowers

• World Citizen
Re: I can't get Power Management to kick in (Theater Mode]
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 05:29:37 pm »

Could this be a firmware issue with my motherboard or the video output of the HDMI ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: I can't get Power Management to kick in
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 06:12:28 pm »

I've wrestled with this on some machines too.

One of my biggest gripes with Windows is that there isn't an easy way to see why the computer isn't sleeping when it seems like it should be.

You can use the command line for some stuff (powercfg), but it should simply be a Control Panel page in Windows, in my opinion.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 06:23:59 pm »

Well I finally went back into the Intel Graphics panel and I found a button called "Power Settings".  I have never seen one there before on other video cards or motherboards.  It was set to "disable".  I just moved it to "Best Power Savings" or something like this.  I still don't know if Windows even has control or not.  I have never seen this option on the manufacturer dialog control panel before.

On the Zotac NM10 Dual core Atom 1.6, the graphics is by Intel, not NVidia (Which is a better one I believe)

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 06:48:34 pm »

Even after trying all the intel settings, I still cant get the monitor to disable.  I am guessing it does not work on the HDMI port.  Sux.

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 07:10:15 pm »

DISCOVERY: 

when MC is closed power management works and WILL disable the monitor but when MC is loaded in Theater Mode, the display will not sleep.

So.... back to my original and correct assumption... What in MC will disable your power management ? and what settings do I change to get PM working?

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 08:33:55 am »

I left MC running in Theatre Mode all night long and the display did not sleep even though I have it set for 1 minute.  If I leave theater Mode then it will sleep.

If anyone knows what can cause this I would greatly appreciate the help.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 08:42:10 am »

Isn't there a setting somewhere to prevent display sleep (introduced because display sleep caused audio to stop over HDMI)? Somewhere in Options->General or ->Theaterview. Or am I making it up?

I'm not by my MC at the moment, so I can't check.

SBR

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 09:38:38 am »

No, you are correct. There is an option in Options\Theater View\Behavior. Make sure the "Disable Screen Saver in Theater View" is not checked.

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 11:39:05 am »

I have already checked and it is NOT checked.  Anything else I can try ?

Also, if I take it out of Theater Mode, Windows WILL disable the monitor after the configured time.  The issue is only in Theater Mode.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 06:06:00 pm »

I don't use the screen saver on my HTPC, but I just checked and verified that with Theater View running, the screen saver (power options in Control Panel) did kick in when it was supposed to. Sorry I have no ideas of what else to try.

TLS

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 09:01:16 am »

Could there be a bug in theater mode?

Jong

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 10:20:50 am »

Not that it helps, but it works here - sleeps fine even with TheaterView loaded. So it will be something more specific to your system/settings.

I have a different issue where MC seems to crash in numerous ways after sleep. Sometimes I get a horrible noise thru my speakers (HDMI connected to AVR), sometime it displays some error about not being able to connect to Directx or some such. I now have a script that looks for the pc entering sleep and kills MC beforehand, then it looks for the PC resuming and restarts it. It works well, but ...

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 10:36:39 am »

Thanks for the help.  I just found out that I had to perform a power off and on... The power management did kick in.  It would say its some issues with the Zotac firmware and/or Intel display drivers but its a Windows issue not MC.

The computer is putting the display to sleep now in Theater Mode.

I am using the Audiophilleo usb transport out to a REGA DAC.  So turning off the screen has no affect on the audio.

I love MC17 by the way  :D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 10:40:48 am »

I have a different issue where MC seems to crash in numerous ways after sleep. Sometimes I get a horrible noise thru my speakers (HDMI connected to AVR), sometime it displays some error about not being able to connect to Directx or some such. I now have a script that looks for the pc entering sleep and kills MC beforehand, then it looks for the PC resuming and restarts it. It works well, but ...
That's probably a driver problem.  Please start a new thread on it if you want help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up