INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So who's using MC18 now?  (Read 2590 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
So who's using MC18 now?
« on: August 13, 2012, 01:38:34 pm »

I've been in an unusually busy period recently, and will be until the end of Sept. I just wanted to ask whether the consensus is that MC18 betas are now stable and can offer at least the same experience as MC17. If so, I'll make the switch now.

Usually I switch very early on, but the nature of the beast seems to be different this time around, so I've held off.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: So who's using MC18 now?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 02:03:54 pm »

It would probably work fine, but it wouldn't hurt to wait a few more builds.  You're correct that it's less smooth this time because of all the rewrites.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 02:31:48 pm »

I've been too chicken.

And busy.

But mostly chicken.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 02:34:06 pm »

Thanks for the replies, guys. I can't wait to try it, but will be patient for now.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 02:41:47 pm »

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 02:58:36 pm »

LOL

I was skeptical my self. I ended up installing MC18 as a side by side install on my server and client, and imported the library from MC17 server. I just hope I don't mess anything up that way. I deselected the Update tags when file info changes. My library will survive I hope :)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 03:08:45 pm »

I started using MC18 with build 2. I was very careful with the early builds as it would easily crash. I used MC17 for real work (tagging, ripping, etc.).

About 10 days ago I started using MC18 without being so careful. An occasional crash, but by and large OK. I still used MC17 for real work.

This past weekend I started using MC18 for everything including ripping, tagging, renaming, etc. I've not yet uninstalled MC17. That will need to wait for a few more builds.

Considering the amount of code being rewritten to achieve platform independence, MC18 is very stable. The team should be congratulated.

For those that have not yet tried MC18, i'd say it's time to jump in, the water's fine.

EDIT:
BTW, I have lots of backups (library & media). I may not be a chicken, but I'm also not a fool.

vagskal

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 03:49:41 pm »

V. 18 is, in my experience, yet unstable and there are still several interface issues. And it adds no functionality that I am interested in. If you are busy, and not overly interested in helping to iron out the bugs or very curious, I would hold off for a bit.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 04:06:09 pm »

I've been using MC18 for the main server since it first came out and I do all ripping tagging and maint on this.  Cut the HTPC over a week ago.  Only way to find the bugs is to use it....
JRiver CEO Elect

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 04:13:28 pm »

I've been using it for several weeks.

Everyone once in a while I've hit a crash fest and have to back up a version. However, it's definitely worth trying the switch at this point.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 04:30:09 pm »

I'm using it full time now.  It's definitely not as stable as MC17 yet, but nothing hard I can put my finger on.
Right clicking on the tray icon doesn't work but nothings new there  ;)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 05:13:08 pm »

I've been using it on my work computer since the beginning and on my HTPC about a week later. I've experienced crashes with just about every build, but only consider those builds unstable that wouldn't let me access options or the DSP. The latest builds haven't had any usability issues for me and I like the improvements to the audio loopback.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 10:36:15 pm »

I've started using it on my Win8 Tablet (a Dell Latitutde XT if anyone's curious).

I'll have access to W8 RTM this week, so I'll be more confident talking about MC18 on it at that point.

I've already got some comments on touch "issues" using MC, which I'll bring up soon (if there's not already a thread I've overlooked)

I'm looking forward to cutting the HTPC over soon. The streaming TV may actually get me to bring my TV antenna back to life.

C.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 01:45:19 am »

Moved both server and client to 18 at the weekend there. My library is almost ten years old now, and this stuff is still enjoyable. Just wish I had (a little) more time free.

Thanks for the journey so far, it's been a fun ride.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 06:25:02 pm »

I am (though I think the 30 day trial is about to run out, so will have to temp. re-install 17).

For my purposes, it seems fine as a daily driver. 

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 11:30:43 am »

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I'm away, out of town, but will probably start using 18 when I get back and settled in again.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 03:21:43 am »

I'm still a bit too afraid to switch because i use Gizmo a lot and still waiting for some of bobs fixes for the latest issues. :)
I might give it a try next weekend or so.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 03:37:22 am »

FYI - I've uninstalled MC17 on the main PC as the file associations in Explorer were still to MC17 causing all sorts confusion for me...
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 01:48:14 am »

bump

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 04:17:20 am »

Been using MC18 since public release, and with music and Blu-ray playback it's mostly stable. Have experienced a few crashes while playing music; one where I hovered over the Audio Path-button, and another few crashes seemingly unprovoked.

Blu-ray playback appears rock solid - no issues so far, indeed very satisfying. The 2-channel sound(JRSS v2.0 downmixing) here is louder compared to MC17 with the same (external) volume setting, which is fine by me, because earlier it was a bit on the low-ish side. The higher output level doens't appear to affect clipping in a more pronounced manner compared to MC17, but I could be wrong - have only done little "testing" here. Will try out internal MC volume, as recommended by Matt, to address the instances where Blu-ray playback can result in clipping(in dynamic/loud bass passages on some discs).

(limited)Library management for music is faultless here.

Overall, for a strictly "meat and potatoes" use with only music(sans DSP) and 2-channel Blu-ray/DVD playback MC18 is close-to stable on my 64-bit, Asus/Intel, Windows 7-based HTPC. I'm thinking of adding a BIG(!) 18" pro driver-based DIY sub at a later time involving an as of yet un-decided amount of DSP usage and maybe that'll provoke issues, but that's another matter perhaps for a separat thread..

Thanks for an already mostly well functioning MC18 program, folks.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 05:57:52 am »

I'm using MC18 since yesterday and I am goning to use it at a ballroom competition the weekend after next. I hope, we'll see one or two builds fixing some bugs till then :)

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 08:18:25 am »

I've been using it since public release.

I use it to play music almost exclusively and haven't experienced any crashes or other weirdness. Eventually I hope to build an HTPC, but right now, all it does is music. Mostly.

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 10:01:43 am »

I installed 18.0.45 yesterday. It seems to work fine but I use it only for reply of FLAC files through my DAC so I doubt that I am even close to challenging its potential. I have done some tagging with MC18, which has worked fine.

I've kept MC17 installed. I won't uninstall it until we are a few builds into MC18

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 11:36:21 am »

I made the switch to MC18. Had no plans of updating until I saw the current version added built in ALAC and selectable audio quality in Gizmo. Lets see how it goes.

devhead

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 01:22:09 pm »

I just downloaded and installed it.  It's running great!  I have to say, the text display for the player is much improved.  Very nice to look at.
Pages: [1]   Go Up