INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't play DVD rip in Windows 8 Storage Spaces?  (Read 4566 times)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Can't play DVD rip in Windows 8 Storage Spaces?
« on: August 30, 2012, 12:43:04 pm »

I've posted this in a few other forums and someone has confirmed that they see the same problem even in Windows 8 RTM (I am using the Release Preview)!  I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to the cause or if this is just a bug that has fallen through the cracks.

I have a Storage Space consisting of 3 drives with parity.  When I try to play back the DVD rip (folder structure) in MC it locks up (WMP just shows a blank screen).  If I copy the same rip from the Storage Space to the boot drive it plays fine so the rip doesn't seem to be corrupt or anything like that.  At first I was trying to play over the network so I thought the share was messed up but I get the same results when I try to play locally in MC in Windows 8.  Also, an MKV file of the same movie in the same Storage Space plays fine.  Any ideas?
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Can't play DVD rip in Windows 8 Storage Spaces?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 05:46:29 pm »

Just Guessing... Could it be that a DVD Rip is a "compound" set of files (instead of 1) and that Storage Spaces has an issue linking the location of the phyiscal files with the DVD Navigation Filter?  Give a BD File Structure rip a go and see if that has any issues by comparison.  If it does then there is a real issues with Storage Spaces, if it works then it is more of a compatibility issues with the DVD Navigation Filter.
JRiver CEO Elect

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 09:26:08 pm »

Thanks for the reply.  It sure seems like it could be something like you suggest which points to a fatal flaw in Storage Spaces.  It is disappointing because otherwise Storage Spaces was looking good and I like that it is built into the OS.  I guess I will have to now go with something like FlexRaid or I could use the "built-in" Intel Rapid Storage for my motherboard (although I'm not sure if you can expand this later with an extra drive).

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 10:24:08 pm »

Mate, it is only a guess and I would have been surprised that such an obvious use case would cause issues (but then again .... ).  If you don't need parity then have a look a Drive Bender.  I gave up on any MBoard RAID Solution as the it did not support RAID Expansion and just added complexity for sod all benefit. 
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
JRiver CEO Elect

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 01:17:35 pm »

Yeah, I saw that article before and I can live with those drawbacks but I can't live with not being able to play DVD rips :).

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 04:03:39 pm »

Did you try a BD Rip?  At least it would help narrow down the bit that fails.
JRiver CEO Elect

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 08:30:37 pm »

I just did and opening the .bdmv in MC plays back fine.  It doesn't make a lot of sense, though, why the DVD filter would have any problems when I'm opening the .ifo over the network (in Windows 7) and then isn't it just a case of the DVD filter opening files from network locations which shouldn't have anything to do with Storage Spaces at that point?  Strange...

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 01:32:01 am »

I agree that it sounds odd such a problem would exist between MS Storage Spaces and the MS DVD Splitter.  I'm actually very surprised many others have not voiced this problem unless it is something specific with your setup (though I fail to see what it could be).
JRiver CEO Elect

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 07:28:45 am »

Anyone know why TMT5 and PowerDVD don't have the same issues as MC?

drhyoung

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 01:11:34 pm »

I've also had the same problem with MC18 on Windows 8 Pro x64 Storage Spaces.
But likewise TMT5 has been fine.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/853f3782-5d4d-4d64-bd5d-ff937a06a32b

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up