INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Output Mode Corrupted  (Read 2532 times)

alder0

• Recent member
Output Mode Corrupted
« on: September 18, 2012, 01:52:04 am »

I need to keep reinstalling 17.0.182 to use my speakers.  After my PC reboots, media center shows only one playback option (Kernel Streaming) and one device, a disabled headphone amplifier.  I can find no way to change to output option to allow choosing Wasabi event or my default speakers (the only output device that is not disabled.)  This has happened five times, and I'm getting tired of having to uninstall/reinstall media center & rebuild my libraries.  Any help would be appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Output Mode Corrupted
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:53:32 am »

MC will only show what Windows offers.  If it happens again, go to Windows Control Panel/Sounds and see what is available.

Another program may use WASAPI in Exclusive Mode.  That will prevent access to WASAPI.

alder0

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 12:59:40 pm »

ALL sound devices are disabled in the control panel EXCEPT the main Creative X-Fi controlled speakers.  If there is another application restricting the WASAPI choice (and ALL other choices except the KERNEL STREAMING choice), then I need to know how to figure out which application it is; and I need some help in Media Center to overcome a "foreign intruder". Since there are no such restrictions when I first install Media Center; I should be able to lock in that "freedom".  How do I alter Media Center's registry entries to do that?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 01:16:29 pm »

This sounds similar to a problem caused by a registry cleaner that deletes things it shouldn't.

Reinstall and make sure you have no registry cleaners running.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

alder0

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 01:20:51 pm »

I'll try that.  However the device causing these issues is the StarTech CUSBAUDIO7D.  Presumably, I can uniinstall that device, but that, of course, is not the real solution.  Can you check for incompatibility with the driver (only  1 version) for that device?

alder0

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 02:03:43 pm »

P.S.  I uninstalled the Startech driver--no difference (after restart).  I then reinstalled JRiver (without uninstalling).  That fixed the issue--as I've indicated.  So is there anything you can do to beef up JRiver to avoid what appear to be registry issues?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 02:13:21 pm »

Did you ever run a registry cleaner?

My guess is that is what caused the problem.

alder0

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 06:35:12 pm »

I did run a registry cleaner; so you may well be right.  Only time will tell.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 06:42:40 pm »

This problem has happened several times, always be users that run a registry cleaner.

So please report the problem to the registry cleaner maker.

They're deleting something they shouldn't from this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver

They should not delete ANYTHING from a private software key, either in HKLM or HKCU.  JRiver is storing information in a well-structured, Windows-compliant manner and the registry cleaner program is deleting / corrupting it.  This is virus-like behavior in my opinion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up