INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Send to device using external encoder. Copy until full???  (Read 2885 times)

AUser

• Junior Woodchuck
Send to device using external encoder. Copy until full???
« on: September 18, 2012, 10:32:43 am »

Ok, so I can send files to an external device
And, I can use the external encoder option

This works fairly well apart from the incredibly annoying error about xxGb over capacity, would you like to remove files so we can continue etc etc

In practice this means I have to select an album, send to device, allow it to remove some tracks, convert and send
Then repeat over and over again until the entire set of albums I want to transfer is completed

Seriously it's a complete pain, as all the files will fit easily after they've been encoded
But it seems you're using the decoded wav size as a basis for 'will it fit'?

So is there a way to just keep going until the device is ACTUALLY out of space
ie only test when the final encoded file is to big to fit, and not try to outguess me

As an example, I've just had to do this dance 25 times to get 1 audiobook onto my device, when it could easily have done it in one go

arthrotec

Re: Send to device using external encoder. Copy until full???
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 12:36:37 am »

I have the same problem and it is driving me nuts. Otherwise media jukebox is great. Let me know if you find a solution.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 01:10:00 pm »

Can we please get rid of this check to bypass this annoyance or let the user select and estimate the final compressed size?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 01:20:35 pm »

In MC26 you can configure the estimated Bitrate of external encoders for the purpose of size calculation.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 02:34:57 pm »

Oh boy....I really feel stupid having asked for this feature a few times...I was wondering what that extra box with bitrate was... I kept trying to delete the 1440 that I knew was for wav/16bit...
Don't recall having seen it in the release notes of MC26 (v9 to 18...) This should be publicized :)

As a suggestion for other idiots like me it might help to say "Estimated bitrate:" in the Encoder settings window

This is a great and simple implementation the only caveat I've seen playing quickly with it is, if you have mp3 files that you don't want to transcode but exceeds the entered bitrate (144 kbps m4a fdk aac or qaac for example) it will want to reconvert them as m4a files... No big deal as I can overestimate the bitrate to 320 to avoid this problem.

This also resolves an issue I had where I only wanted to transcode ALAC files and needed to change the AAC file as an mp4 container as a workaround because it wouldn't convert lossless ALAC as they had the same extension... (even when including high bitrate was selected)

What would be ideal for me now is to select the proper bitrate estimate while leaving the mp3 files above this bitrate untouched...

Thx for implementing this I've been waiting for this one for a while...

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 07:52:48 am »

If you're using an external AAC encoder and enter 267 kbps for bitrate your 320 mp3 files will not be transcoded.

As a suggestion it would be nice to make exceptions so a specific type of codec doesn't get transcoded (ie mp3)

Pages: [1]   Go Up